Not open for further replies.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
berlinka said:
But still, how popular IS the 3DS actually? Will a flashcart ever become a commercial interesting product?

There's a flashcart for the virtual boy and it sold only 770,000 unit and had 18 games total. The 3DS is at 4M+ units sold and had that many games at launch.

cephalopoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Within a capitalistic market, "piracy" does not exist. It cannot exist. Or, rather, the ethics behind whether it is right or wrong to pirate do not exist. Therefore, if there is no ethical problem, there is no real problem.

And let me explain why.

If you live in a "free" market economy like the US (where I live) we are taught from a very early age that our role as a consumer is to obtain the best quality product at the cheapest price. You've seen the videos for Black Friday mania where people trample others to get the cheapest price TV or BluRay players.

What would happen if a store opened up and offered TVs and BluRay players for free? They would sell out.

Most us get our products from producers (stores or wholesalers). We don't steal from the shelves, but we do compare various producers to see which is cheaper. If a store offers something for free, but across the street it is being sold for a given amount, where would people go?

So onto "piracy." The reason why most people download music, movies, games is simply because they are offered at the lowest price "free." We compare all available options and see that free is the best available option.

Now, this is where the producers must get clever. For example, most 21st century digital business models take into account "piracy." If they didn't they would not be running a realistic business model, and they might as well be run by monkeys. If piracy truly hurt the entertainment media, you would see one of two things happen:

The prices would go way up to cover the cost lost to piracy.
The prices would go way down compete with piracy.

Where do you see this happening? Music, kinda. Digital music started offering downloads at so cheap that people didn't really see the "savings" in getting it free from a sketchy source (however, I do think the music industry could make a larger profit if they made sold each song for even cheaper).

Do you see it happening in movies? No.
Do you see it happening in games? No.

What conclusion do you draw? That in these industries, piracy is not hurting them, or is not hurting them as badly as they claim. If it was, they would do what music has done.

In fact, most media turn huge profits. They wildly overprice their products to maximize their profits on multiple levels. You could even argue that the same ethical scrutiny that you apply to pirates could be applied to the producers for overpricing their games.

Now, what do you think of that?

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
berlinka said:
But still, how popular IS the 3DS actually? Will a flashcart ever become a commercial interesting product? As of right now, I doubt it.

I know many people who will only buy 3DS when it's hacked.

*Raises Hand*

I'll buy any Zelda games since I love those. Nintendo can't make a bad Zelda game. Bonus if I can dump my own game.

If Square remake FF6 like they did for FF4, I'll buy that too.

But I won't buy anything if there isn't a flashcart.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cephalopoid said:
Within a capitalistic market, "piracy" does not exist. It cannot exist. Or, rather, the ethics behind whether it is right or wrong to pirate do not exist. Therefore, if there is no ethical problem, there is no real problem.

And let me explain why.

If you live in a "free" market economy like the US (where I live) we are taught from a very early age that our role as a consumer is to obtain the best quality product at the cheapest price. You've seen the videos for Black Friday mania where people trample others to get the cheapest price TV or BluRay players.

What would happen if a store opened up and offered TVs and BluRay players for free? They would sell out.

Most us get our products from producers (stores or wholesalers). We don't steal from the shelves, but we do compare various producers to see which is cheaper. If a store offers something for free, but across the street it is being sold for a given amount, where would people go?

So onto "piracy." The reason why most people download music, movies, games is simply because they are offered at the lowest price "free." We compare all available options and see that free is the best available option.

Now, this is where the producers must get clever. For example, most 21st century digital business models take into account "piracy." If they didn't they would not be running a realistic business model, and they might as well be run by monkeys. If piracy truly hurt the entertainment media, you would see one of two things happen:

The prices would go way up to cover the cost lost to piracy.
The prices would go way down compete with piracy.

Where do you see this happening? Music, kinda. Digital music started offering downloads at so cheap that people didn't really see the "savings" in getting it free from a sketchy source (however, I do think the music industry could make a larger profit if they made sold each song for even cheaper).

Do you see it happening in movies? No.
Do you see it happening in games? No.

What conclusion do you draw? That in these industries, piracy is not hurting them, or is not hurting them as badly as they claim. If it was, they would do what music has done.

In fact, most media turn huge profits. They wildly overprice their products to maximize their profits on multiple levels. You could even argue that the same ethical scrutiny that you apply to pirates could be applied to the producers for overpricing their games.

Except the content is protected under the law. It's illegal to distrubute copies of it or use copies of it.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cephalopoid said:
Within a capitalistic market "piracy" does not exist. ... [SNIP, no need to quote the whole thing]

Congrats, cephalopoid! This is one of the most clever opinion I've read on the issue of game piracy. Cheers!
grog.gif

D

Deleted-188346

So guys, 50 pages later...do we have any news on the "Crown3DS"?
Or is it just 50 pages of debates about the damage of piracy, and the death of the 3DS?

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Can't this be closed until some more info about this flashcart is released? I doubt this thing will even be released this year.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hyro-Sama said:
Can't this be closed until some more info about this flashcart is released? I doubt this thing will even be released this year.

If they close this topic users will just make more. By keeping this topic open the Admin are preventing a flood of new topics all discussing the same thing.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so this was just announced right under (a couple hours under) a week ago (my time) and you guys already expecting news? I know this may very well be fake, but if this is real it must be very complicated to make ROMs work, especially considering if it's real they're the only team with information on how to do it, no one really has enough info yet to help them out significantly so they have to document it themselves...be patient for another week or so and see what happens.

I have a hunch that something will happen on the 26th, but nothing's officially been mentioned, just a weird feeling. Maybe nothing will happen then at all though, or maybe something will happen but it may not even be related to this at all xD

D

Deleted-188346

CollosalPokemon said:
ok so this was just announced right under (a couple hours under) a week ago (my time) and you guys already expecting news?
With 754 comments, and 83,152 views over the course of 8 days, you'd assume there would be at least a little more information.
Perhaps some reasonable idea whether this is fake, or real.
Even just a single additional post with some new relevant information.

Not just pointless debating about piracy killing the 3DS.

cephalopoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nano351 said:
Except the content is protected under the law. It's illegal to distrubute copies of it or use copies of it.

Right. But what is law but enforced moral and ethical codes? We break laws all the time because they are deemed "outdated," "insignificant," or, for one reason or another "disadvantageous." For example, I bet most of us on this board have littered at one point or another. Still more have probably rolled through a stop sign. And none of the "no cell phones while driving" have curbed cell use even though it has been proven time and time again that driving while talking on a cell phone (or texting!) is as bad as driving drunk.

SykoLogic

That gay nerd.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i contacted the team and this is what they told me about the price range...

"hi thanks for your email, pls dont trust the rumors because we haven't decided the price yet, will make a reasonable price when it finally comes out.

2011-09-18
sales"

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
cephalopoid said:
nano351 said:

Right. But what is law but enforced moral and ethical codes? We break laws all the time because they are deemed "outdated," "insignificant," or, for one reason or another "disadvantageous." For example, I bet most of us on this board have littered at one point or another. Still more have probably rolled through a stop sign. And none of the "no cell phones while driving" have curbed cell use even though it has been proven time and time again that driving while talking on a cell phone (or texting!) is as bad as driving drunk.

So...."As long as you don't get caught, it's ok".......

lestatbytes

leaving without a trace..
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
iRawriLaugh said:
so i contacted the team and this is what they told me about the price range...

"hi thanks for your email, pls dont trust the rumors because we haven't decided the price yet, will make a reasonable price when it finally comes out.

2011-09-18
sales"

i got the same email when i tried to asked them about the price.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^ Probally semi-automated emails then.
They just choose what the response is and then send it off or
something like that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
iRawriLaugh said:
kevan said:
^ Probally semi-automated emails then.
They just choose what the response is and then send it off or
something like that.

yeah most likely xD or they just copy and paste laziness xD

That's what happens when a zillion of folks send e-mails about the price instead of sending *1* and posting the reply in BOLD on the forum.

I honestly believe that those guys should be infront of their soldering kits and compilers rather than e-mail inboxes.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i sent an email a few days ago about something that is not related to when will it be out or how much is it and i never got a reply back. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol