Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Wow if this came out I.. still wouldn't buy a 3DS.

2. donaldgx

donaldgx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    more like most consoles that boots games through carts start like this

3. Ace

Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Boo-freaking-hoo about your 3DS! We live in such a consumerist world anyways, it really shouldn't take longer than an hour for you to replace it with a brand new one. Get off your bum and replace it if you aren't happy, because guess what? You are fully capable, since the abundance of 3DS's is SO HIGH.

You may not remember, but back when the Wii was released, it was so sought after that there were literally global shortages. You should be glad that the 3DS hasn't reached that stage (for one, you can easily get it replaced when broken, and for two, you can get a 3DS really freaking cheap now!)

And for the record, flashcarts are VERY HEAVILY used here in Sweden, for one. The amount of kiddies I see running around with their R4's is staggering. Moreso in developing countries, where there are more and bigger issues than just piracy. I can't quite perceive how much they're used in the US, but it's probably a bigger amount than what you think.

And on-topic, for once: This has two effects: 1) Nintendo's gonna beef it up to keep the security. Expect faster updates. 2) Sales will rise because of a demand caused by potential piracy. This will in turn give Nintendo more money, while scaring off the developers. Despite being richer, Nintendo will only be able to offer less. My prediction? I'm hoping it's fake, because I want to see great titles out on the 3DS, and this has the potential of ruining that. Please, I don't WANT to see the release lists on GBAtemp to be filled with Imaginez games again.

4. dickfour

dickfour Banned
    Banned

United States
    I'm going to wait until there's 1000 clones of this thing then I'll buy a 3ds

5. Osaka

Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well, 3DS will now be ruined. I really hope nintendo patches this quickly.

6. impizkit

impizkit Lazy Lurker

If it is truly 1:1, it cant be patched. It will always work as long as the actual cart works.

7. dilav

dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If this is true, it is going to be cost quite a bit until they get some competition.

8. rehevkor

rehevkor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nice to see someone progress is being made.. but I'll pass for now.

9. linuxGuru

linuxGuru GBAtemp Regular

United States

Sun 28 Aug 2011
    [​IMG]

10. insidexdeath

United Kingdom
    This will ruin the 3DS if it's true. We will be seeing games on the 3DS whether this flashcart gets released or not. The video looks real, but then again we still cannot judge whether it's real or fake.

11. rashef

rashef GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Of course it can be patched as long as roms are encrypted because they can dl the rom, see which exactly key was used to make said game and hardcode this key to not boot. That is assuming each copy of the game has its own key used to encrypt it. Double encryption ftw. XD

12. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Costa Rica
    Well, soon we will see Supercard ThreeDS, Acekard3D, M3DS, R43DS, R4SDHC3DS, R4i3DS, Super R4 3DS, etc etc

13. digipokemaster

digipokemaster Innocent Uke

United States
    wow i hope it true, it would be awesome and would the games be put on the flashcart like before?

14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    No menu, 1 game only at a time, specific connection cable (old serial port?), all that is like old time with the first GBA cartridges (Visoly, with LPT linkers and very long transfer time for only few MB games).

I find it funny that nobody talked or asked yet if the cartridge is region specific or not.

If it's only an empty shell, and everything is stored on the chipset, then it should be "region free" (the same card can be used on E/J/U 3DS, not talking about game's region but cartridge's region).
    But if the cartridge include different storing hardware (bootstrap, game data, etc.) then it will only work on a specific 3DS region, you will have to specify your region when ordering one, and it might include an original 3DS game/bootstrap/code/encryption key copyrighted by Nintendo which could be bad for the team. They shouldn't reproduce R4 error by including Nintendo's boot code.

The only video we have shows the flashed game's icon, but we saw only 1 game so we can't be sure they didn't use Splinter Cell bootstrap code and icon to launch splinter Cell's game ROM...

But as they didn't specify anything on the pre-ordering, it might be a region free cartridge, and is only an empty shell. The 3DS will check the region of the game on the stored on the flashcard and not the flashcard region itself.

About people worrying about shovelware, they are already there, before piracy even started.
    They are cheap development games which sells great, why would you want the developers to stop doing it? It's where they are taking money to make better games (imagine series revenue => new Prince of Persia or Assassin Creed). Let kids buy their shovelwares and you buy the games you like.
    You can't say that no games you like are made at all, they are developed and take a lot more time to complete. you can't say that a company don't want to create a good game that they have ideas for, but prefer making little pony and imagine. They are working on both. artist like releasing their work, piracy or not.

Of course, some third party developers can go bankrupt because they don't sell enough (Cing), and we loose their ideas and creativity and won't see new games from them. But, what games ? why do you care, you didn't loose them as they didn't exist in the first place. are you complaining about the 153 unknown to you never released games from company xxxxxx? that's plain stupid.

Even with shovelware, the DS or Wii had a lot of New third party developers and new good games still released.
    Big developers didn't flew to other consoles.
    Homebrew helped independent developers (look at Colors! now on 3DS), or Cave story. They are not big company, and they didn't go to Sony because the Wii was hacked!
    Stop thinking all are linked to piracy, you look like music industry trying to justify their loss from selling shit while big music artist still sell millions of CD each years. it's the same : shit VS good artist or shovelware vs good game, both are made.

15. prodf

prodf Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    I´m amazed how you people from developed countrys still found this kind of crap, here in Brasil we don´t have an offical price for our 3DSs, every store sell to a price that it whant it, the common price for the 3S here is 799 Reais, our money, just imagine you people buyng a 3DS for US$ 799,00, how do you like that ?
    Other issue here is the price of games, the most common price for any game here is R$ 199,00 , and we brasilians are forced to import games from US or China, and have to whait one entire month to play it, if our mail officers dont still our games for themselfs and if we got lucky for no extra taxing. You people can simple go out your houses, enter a store near your home and buy the game you whant paying the price that Nintendo say it to pay and still there is people that found flashcarts, fucke this !

16. Anacobra

Anacobra GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    ITT: People crying about how awful it is for someone to be building something that is legal.

799.00 Reais is 461.99 USD.

17. slaysme

slaysme Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Guys, you really believe imagine and babiez games are only prevelant because of piracy? It's a perfect scape goat for the industry, and sure, it affects sales. But you're fools if you really believe the intentional spin on this subject. Piracy is not all negative effects, look at the app store. Easiest to pirate softwarez ive ever seen. still the major devs flock there and never even bother mentioning the effects of piracy. Psp did not die, ds did not die, wii did not die, pc has not died, 360 did not die, even after all the drama, ps3 did not die. Piracy is inevitable.it is not the cause of shove ware, in fact the only possible relation is the ratio of AAA games to utter cheaply made crap. But as piracy on the DS grew more prevelant, so did AAA titles. so there's that. Shovel ware is because stupid parents who can't be bothered to research games, or are easily swayed by little bully's pleas for nintendogs knockoff number 547.I constantly see people take the cheaper , terrible games instead of a quality title for 5$ more. Then there is the violence in video games issue, ( this gets lots of media time)which also increases sales of "non violent" games.

Open your eyes to the reality of the industry. There are countries where bootleg games are all you can find, never mind the ease of ordering used goods online, which take away way more sales than piracy. They want people to fear piracy, and if that does not work, make them fear it in other ways, ie, say they won't make games for system x because of piracy concerns. It is all utter B.S.. I'm sorry that some of you feel guilty for piracy, yet probably continue to do it. Shame on you, betraying yourself like that. But please don't let that delude you to the truths of the matter.

On topic, yeah I'd say that's real. Probably similar to how legacy or whatever ran theirs too. This method has no reason to not work. Not much n could do either, however,....modern flash carts are popular due to the ease of transporting and switching games as much as free games.....so don't expect this style of device to really catch on. I want 3d enabled HB way more than I want this. But it may sell some consoles, which is always good for more games. N is pushing hard on the 3ds, they're not giving this one up.

18. Vinnymac

Vinnymac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am very excited about this flashcard. Glad to know someone is working on it. I will probably wait for them to perfect their product even if they have an early release product like others in the past.

19. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I totally agree with you. Its just like alarm system and locks on car/house, people will still steal them nonetheless if they have the know-how [​IMG]

This is good news as it is progress toward having a workable hack of the 3DS. Wonder if custom Firmware like on the Wii or PSP would be possible on the 3DS instead of the flashcart solution. Im sure between softmod, hardmod or flashcart we will get through soon.

20. hunter291

hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Gambia, The
    How do we know that they didn't just open a game cartridge and soldererd some worthless cables ? This could be le mega troll of the century oO

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - flashcard, Crown3ds, Hacking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.