Gaming Crossover Games & Why They Aren't Sent Overseas Often

Ziko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I just want to say for anyone who may read this, not only will this be a review of a couple DS Crossovers I've played and completed but also an in depth examination of why some crossovers may not reach the US or the West in general. Again, what is said here after the short reviews are mere opinions and should not be taken as fact. However, if anyone wishes to add their two cents in, please do so in a respectable manner. Now, read on!

1. Shonen Sunday x Sunday Magazine: White Comic is a game that is a crossover of various manga and anime titles from the magazines of Shonen Sunday & Sunday Magazine. Storywise, it is typical of most crossovers. Boy gets sent to world by evil forces, boy has to go on a adventure to save the backwards world of all the characters from the various series. Now battlewise is where things get interesting. There is a six element system that works like a circle in that each Kanji represents a quality of all the protagonists. One is stronger than the next one therefore the next one is weaker to the one you used before. If you use the one that weakens the other against enemies, battle are a lot easier even against the bosses. Characters featured are from series such as Fairy Tail, Kekkaishi, Rave Master, Negima, etc. I give this game a 4 out of 5.

2. Dengeki Gakuen: Cross of Venus Special is a Tales of style like game that uses the heroines from the Dengeki Bunko light novels. Novels featured are Shakugan no Shana, Kino no Tabi, Asura Cryin', Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu, Toradora!, and To Aru Majutsu no Index which has two heroines. The interesting points of this game is the large database of novel information that the main heroine Kizuna keeps as you collect the 214 cards in the game. Also, the system in which cards are created is interesting in that it uses an alchemy style system. Put Card A & Card B together to make one. Certain combinations can net you rare cards such as Boss Summons or Summons of characters from various series. Cards can be leveled up using the Kanji which correspond to them. The higher the level, the stronger. The game story is about the real world colliding with the worlds of the novels and the main villain, Zetsu, is manipulating the storylines to where events are illogical or out of place. Your job is to assist them in fixing things in the worlds. I give this game a 3 out of 5.

3. Jump Ultimate Stars obviously improves from its predecessor Super Stars with its advanced deck making system, more characters to play as, and more to do. There's not much of a story but it basically is about saving the various universes from the evil(misguided) Dr. Mashirito from destroying the universes. There's a lot of replay value with this one in that you can level your favorite fighters and some of them even evolve like Seiya can use his Sagittarius Cloth, Patch becomes Super Patch, and Ichigo can use his Bankai. Awesome games. Definitely worth a perfect 5 out of 5!

4. Days of Memories seems to be a crossover of SNK Playmore's characters from its roster of fighters from Samurai Showdown to King of Fighters. Not a whole lot so far but it's just a run of the mill dating simulator and you can interact with the characters of these games. I'm still working on this one but it looks interesting. I don't know what to make of it so far. My score of this rather short game is a 2 out of 5 because the game itself only has 3 scenarios and are replayable but aren't worth it.

5. Super Robot Wars W, K, & L are obviously crossovers of various mecha anime series ranging from Gundam to Zoids. A recurring theme in all of them is a protagonist who often is not chosen and assigned to you and pilots a mech himself. Often, like in other games, you must not only resolve the storylines of the series in the games but also your own which is used to tie all these series together. These games I give a collective score of 3 out of 5. L alone deserves a 1 out of 5 because of it's high difficulty and poor story and system construction(The Rebuild of Evangelion storyline had some plot holes plus it was unresolved because the movie series is still ongoing. Instead, due to the other conflicts going on in L's world, the Human Instrumentality Project was put on hold.) W was a better play to me.

These are all great games but now, we go to why they are not available here. It seems in the world of anime and manga, they are often the most expensive and cost wise in that licenses can cost a hell of a lot of money, therefore it would make not much dollars and sense to the development branches over here to import and translate them. But it seems in Japan, they're willing to spend that level of money and still make a damn good title. Anime in the West is somewhat of a niche market and the games make not make much profit unlike their counterparts of Marvel vs Capcom or the latter. Mostly in the West, gamers seem to like the stuff that's already established and the characters are more well known than those of anime or manga. In fact, a lot of the series in some of these games are either not well known, or otherwise not that popular. Also, the companies that produced some of the series in Super Robot Wars are no longer around or otherwise not established here in the West.

Light Novels are more of a recent phenomenon in Japan with at least 2 new adaptations per season alone. 9 times out of 10, they are from Dengeki Bunko. There may be some future for them here in the West though. Another reason may be due to the fact that there may not be a company willing to give these games a shot in that the prevailing attitude in the West still is that anime quote, "Is stuff for kids." Which is not true because I see anime that is very violent and sometimes over the top. That may come from the people who still believe we are in the moe boom which ended years ago. Anime in the post-moe era seems to be either geared toward promoting a toy or other product or is sometimes a follow-up of an already existing anime. Granted, we still get original work but not as much.

The crossovers we seem to get often are games from First Party developers such as Square-Enix and Third-Party developer such as Nintendo and Sega.

Personally, I would like to see a Clamp crossover game in my lifetime. But yet, Tsubasa Chronicle has two DS games and in essence is a crossover of their most popular series even though all of them have some references or characters in some cases to other series. Angelic Layer & Chobits had Icchan as the creator and promoter of both Persocoms and the dolls as well. But Heroes Phantasia seems promising: http://heroes-p.channel.or.jp/

This concludes my examination of this topic. Comment please and make sure you try out these games if you want a challenge or two!

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The reason why not many cross-overs/anime culture related games don't come to the US, is probably because it's not worth it: the fanbase is much larger in Japan than in the west. There's no profit in doing so.

As for light novels, Kadokawa Group Holdings owns both ASCII (who publishes Dengeki magazines) as well as Kadokawa Shoten (another renowned publisher), so you could call them boss of the industry. :yay: I wouldn't say that Dengeki releases 9/10 because that'd mean that every single light novel is published by Kadokawa.

As for "Anime is for kids blahblahblah" go show them some hen-tie and see how they react. :creep:

TwistedBlizzard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It was a great day when our school library got FMA :)
I say this because I tryed the game and then I realised it wasn't to the calibre of many of the other games I play - this is not a reason why we do not get games like that in stores in the UK as that would be generalisation - the reason would simply be one of translation I think - bad translations would cripple the market before it began

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why not many cross-overs/anime culture related games don't come to the US, is probably because it's not worth it: the fanbase is much larger in Japan than in the west. There's no profit in doing so.

As for light novels, Kadokawa Group Holdings owns both ASCII (who publishes Dengeki magazines) as well as Kadokawa Shoten (another renowned publisher), so you could call them boss of the industry. :yay: I wouldn't say that Dengeki releases 9/10 because that'd mean that every single light novel is published by Kadokawa.

As for "Anime is for kids blahblahblah" go show them some hen-tie and see how they react. :creep:
Its "hentai" not hen-tie, s4mid4re. :P

Schezo92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
did someone say Hentie?
Hentie.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

I was censoring for the younger audiences... :ninja:

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In addition to the "people aren't interested in animu gamu." Licensing is also a problem, in the case of Jump Ultimate Stars because it contains characters form a dozen franchises or so, licensing it for the west would be pain to do..

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
There are two main reasons why games like that don't come over:

- Japan only anime doesn't exactly have a large, wanting audience over here in the west. Those games may not even do that great in Japan to begin with, which will generally lead to the games never seeing the light of day here anyways.

- As far as games such as Jump Ultimate Stars: All of the companies involved with all of the characters and everything, well, it's a lot. There is no way to get that game westbound due to just a general lack of agreement and troubles with licensing and such.

The first will generally be the primary reason, since even if it's a good game, I know that many people I know wouldn't buy anything related to anime. They don't like it. It does not interest them. They're not going to buy games based around it or manga (you know, same umbrella).

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was censoring for the younger audiences... :ninja:

LOL :lol:

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You forgot to state the obvious reason: A lot of manga/anime in Japan are liscensed by the same company, but in the US those same manga/anime may be licensed by many different ones. It would be a loss of profit if they tried to get publishing rights for a crossover game.

Another reason is that the developers of these games may be so lesser known that they would need a big-name publisher to get their game out in the US and Europe, and none step up to the task.

Ziko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot to state the obvious reason: A lot of manga/anime in Japan are liscensed by the same company, but in the US those same manga/anime may be licensed by many different ones. It would be a loss of profit if they tried to get publishing rights for a crossover game.

Another reason is that the developers of these games may be so lesser known that they would need a big-name publisher to get their game out in the US and Europe, and none step up to the task.

Indeed, Funimation licenses hundreds of titles when the majority of them are licensed under one company. Another former example is the now bankrupt ADV Films which helped to start the Anime Network which I have as a free on-demand channel: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/ It went under back in late 2009 and smaller companies since bought up their licenses to sell their old products as well as new ones.

Ziko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition appears to be a SRPG crossover that's due in spring of 2012. It's a DS game suprisingly which is hopeful because there's still some life left in this one. Official site: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/ranse/

I'll review this crossover when I get my hands on it.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't like you cuz you gave SRW games a low rating. xP
They're by far my fave srpg series, they're supposed to be hard... And the reason why they're never released in the west is because localising that would be too expensive... Too many dif companies are bound up in those games. =O

Ziko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like you cuz you gave SRW games a low rating. xP
They're by far my fave srpg series, they're supposed to be hard... And the reason why they're never released in the west is because localising that would be too expensive... Too many dif companies are bound up in those games. =O
I do too but again, I was only referring to the ones I played and not all of them in general. I love the franchise. However, I don't always like what series are ending up in these games because too many good anime get overlooked in favor of BS anime.

Ziko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition appears to be a SRPG crossover that's due in spring of 2012. It's a DS game suprisingly which is hopeful because there's still some life left in this one. Official site: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/ranse/

I'll review this crossover when I get my hands on it.

Here's my take on Pokemon Conquest. This game use the warlords we know and love from Samurai Warriors but instead combines them with Pokemon. You even get your own character to control just like in the normal Pokemon games with a rather weak Eevee but that Eevee can be evolved into any of its evolutions in the game. Even the warlords can evolve by completing certain conditions in the game! The problem with this game is that even though it seems simplistic, it can be deceptively difficult which I like. Another gripe is that there's only about 200 Pokemon in the game and that's not many and it's heavily biased toward Gen V Pokemon though some older ones are in there here and there. The initial game itself doesn't take long to complete but the individual episodes of the characters are the meat & potatoes of the game and that's where most of the time will be spent. I give this game a 4 out of 5.

Ziko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't speak too much on Project X Zone because by now most of you probably are aware of its existence on many of the threads here but it is just a follow up of Namco X Capcom except with Sega characters involved. I have read a lot of reviews and they have been mixed. I literally would have to sit down and play it myself to gain anything from it which won't happen anytime soon.

no_chocobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the anime crossover games being released here is that usually different companies own the distribution rights in the US than in JP. Even if the same production house made two shows, the rights to those shows can be owned by totally different companies as far as US copyright is concerned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night