Cross platform play coming to Fortnite, sans PS4

3jr1aAXfk.jpg

Hot on the heels of the recent announcement to add a 20 player team battle mode to Fortnite - the ever popular online battle royale game, Epic Games have today announced the introduction of optional cross-platform play for Xbox.

The change will allow players to rank up against those on PC, Mac, iOS and eventually Android. Stat progression and in-game purchases will by synced between all platforms.

Unfortunately, as is the current trend; cross-platform play between PS4 and Xbox will not be supported. PS4 to PC, Mac, iOS and Android cross-platform play is still supported.
Epic Games said:
Hey Fortnite Community,

We’re happy to announce today that in partnership with our friends at Microsoft, Fortnite will feature cross-play, cross-progression, and cross-purchase, between Xbox One, PC, Mac, iOS and (in the next few months) Android.

Contrary to what may have been implied, Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play, connecting players across PC, mobile and all consoles. We’ve been working together with them over the last several months to make this possible, and will bring this functionality to Fortnite players on Xbox right along with other platforms.

With each new platform we support and every update we ship, we strive to bring Fortnite to more people, and make it easier to play together with friends. And, as always, cross-play is opt in.
:arrow: Source

Reactions: damiano2712

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Why is PS4 always left out? Just curious. It used to be always XBOX being excluded from cross-platform games due to Live dependency.
I think I read somewhere that it's because of PS+, money, and how the servers communicate with the client (xbox and Windows has since Windows 10 a similar functioning, even allowing some games to work on both platforms). Windows is trying to develop a game environment, transforming the Xbox into some "dedicated Windows 10 gaming system"

Reactions: Subtle Demise

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I read somewhere that it's because of PS+, money, and how the servers communicate with the client (xbox and Windows has since Windows 10 a similar functioning, even allowing some games to work on both platforms). Windows is trying to develop a game environment, transforming the Xbox into some "dedicated Windows 10 gaming system"
No, that really has nothing to do with it. Sony just wants everyone to buy a PS4 and isn’t gonna let any competitors touch their beloved console. Game devs (like Psyonix) have said all they have to do is click on button on a page and PS4 would be cross-platform, but Sony doesn’t let them click that button yet (if ever), so yeah.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
No, that really has nothing to do with it. Sony just wants everyone to buy a PS4 and isn’t gonna let any competitors touch their beloved console. Game devs (like Psyonix) have said all they have to do is click on button on a page and PS4 would be cross-platform, but Sony doesn’t let them click that button yet (if ever), so yeah.
So, like I said money :P But the article I read wasn't from Sony, it was from Bethesda IIRC (about TESO), and they clearly said that cross-platform isn't something that easy to achieve, but Sony also didn't want to bother because it was more money for them without cross-platform. It's still extra work for the devs, with little reward for them in the end. To take Psyonix as an example, they had to develop their own network (PsyNet) into Rocket League itself to manage that. So it's a bit more complicated than clicking on a button for them. Then, after the development phase, there's the boring stuff about rights, economics and everything.

EDIT : To be a bit more precise, online matchmaking is usually made by using the console dedicated network (PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, Nintendo Network). If it's not, the game company must provide the infrastructure and/or code necessary to do it. And not all game companies can afford it. And if they want cross-platform, they have to negotiate with all parties, which adds another layer of complexity to the process.

Last edited by Ritsuki,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, like I said money :P But the article I read wasn't from Sony, it was from Bethesda IIRC (about TESO), and they clearly said that cross-platform isn't something that easy to achieve, but Sony also didn't want to bother because it was more money for them without cross-platform. It's still extra work for the devs, with little reward for them in the end. To take Psyonix as an example, they had to develop their own network (PsyNet) into Rocket League itself to manage that. So it's a bit more complicated than clicking on a button for them. Then, after the development phase, there's the boring stuff about rights, economics and everything.
Yes, but devs who already have that system in place (like Psyonix) should be given the liberty to add the PS4 to their system. I don’t think Sony actually has to do anything to allow cross-play, they literally just have to say “You can do it now!”

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Yes, but devs who already have that system in place (like Psyonix) should be given the liberty to add the PS4 to their system. I don’t think Sony actually has to do anything to allow cross-play, they literally just have to say “You can do it now!”
While I understand your point of view, and even agree to it, business wise, they have absolutely no reason to accept. They are not going to accept it just for the sake of accepting it. Plus, Xbox is really not popular in Japan, so that really doesn't help at all. But hey, since PS4-PC is okay maybe this will change, who knows.

Reactions: aykay55

Owenge

GbaTemp browser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is sad because it has been done before, granted it was a mistake and only last 2-ish hours but PS4 fortnite had played with XB1 fortnite players

D

Deleted User

This means every xbox player is going to need to play with a mouse to survive getting there ass's kicked in a lobby,but then again the ps4 also has mouse and keyboard support so either way is pretty fucked up.

The developers should seriously make lobbys for people who just want to play with a controller and not have to worry about someone shitting on them with a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited by ,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cross play with ps4 and xbone have turn'd on by 'accident' several times over the last 9 months for front night. The reason Sony doesnt allow it is due to microsoft wanting all cross players to long in with a microsoft account. If the two wouldnt be so stuburn, we would probably be seeing cross-play with all 3rd party games and achievement & save file sycn'ing by now. Probably even cross purchase for DLCs.

Ridge

they/them
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
AFAIK, you can use controller or even keymouse on ur smartphone, but you can connect keymouse to console that really surprised me: i've never known that you can use pc's peripheral on consols
Yeah I was surprised to see it possible when I tried it on my PS4. The game straight up just has native support for mouse and keyboard on both PS4 and XBO

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.