Cremation or Burial?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 2,206
  • Replies 36
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I was on another forum where a member announced a friend and also member of that same community passed away and it got me thinking about this. He said that they opted straight for cremation and that option just seems too radical and harsh, unless that person confirmed he/she wanted to be cremated.

Cremation has its upsides and downsides, in my opinion. Once you're cremated you're just ashes and don't take any space and your loved ones can keep you in a box/bottle/case/etc, but that's it in terms of positive aspects.

For me burial is the better option, because regardless of "after we're dead it doesn't matter" which I agree partly but for those that are alive it does matter so if they want to still visit that person who has departed they can, the body does deteriorate as time passes though that's entirely normal as the body is no longer alive.

The cost of funeral and burial issues: If you own a farm or a backward big enough to bury your loved ones then you can cut the costs and do it all privately, although some countries have a stick up their arses if people do this so better check the laws (or just don't inform govt workers / police about it or some asshole family member that can get you into trouble).

The issue of the cemeteries: I'm no expert by any means in any of this but I've been to several cemeteries and saw other several by afar and they were completely full! This is just unacceptable, seriously. Now, if there are family relatives who can't afford to bury their loved ones or the grave workers bury people then this is where cremation would come in handy to help cemeteries from being overfull.

I know it's a morbid topic to bring up but hell, we're all one day going to die.

pony_shrug_pony_karoi_by_karoi5-d4htzb2.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While being able to have a focal object can be useful for some in meditation or whatever I fail to see the need myself. If I want to remember those that kicked the bucket then I can, just like I can remember most of things.

Cemeteries being full here seems to be a problem solved by a) building more and b) only leasing graves for a few decades (with the option to extend), also c) getting more to opt for cremation.

Speaking of cremation most I have ever known have it happen to have their ashes scattered or straight up disposed of. Urn on the mantelpiece is a rarity.

But yeah I will be dead so peh. While I don't care (again owing to being dead) then it seems like a reasonable thing that if the bus and my general approach to life leaves anything of value then stick it in someone else, or give it to someone to do an experiment upon. Dispose of what is left with via the cheapest means available. Would be pretty sweet to become an AI or robot though, probably won't live that long though.

Probably a repeat of an earlier song I used in a thread like this but death thread so song

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I plan on dying alone in the woods somewhere once I'm very old, as far away as I can be from society, after having trained so hard my body just fucking gives out from under me. I hope it's peacefully, in the natural noise of night, drenched in sweat beneath a bright moon in a small clearing; my back against a tree and my head tiled back.
So, I guess it's more about what I'm doing right before I die than how I do it, and I couldn't care less about what happens afterward.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually that is a point. Forgot about sky burial.
Stick you on a raised platform and let the birds and rats have their way.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Apart from me mum n dad, brother and lil brother and me bf...
I don't really have loved ones.

Me brother wants to be cremated and scattered in the stratosphere, me little brother.. idk never heard anything from him.
Mum n dad prolly gun to be buried and I think I'll opt for cremation.

It's unlikely me bf will outlive me or me outlives him.

Short and funny answer: I'm not paying for a plot of land which I'll never see.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I want my organs, if they are still viable at that point, to be donated for transplantation. As for the rest, I plan to have enough money put by to not make disposing of my remains a financial burden on my family, but other than that, fuck it, I'll be dead and won't care either way, so they can do whatever helps them cope, be it burial, cremation, that fancy new "turning the ashes into ink/diamonds/glitterbomb/tree" thing, firing me from a canon, or sticking a speaker in my skull and have me sing showtunes when I detect movement. Or this. I don't give a fuck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo