Hacking Suggestion Creation of an online P2P network for people running backups similar to zbattle, or kaillera clients

Who dares to create online gaming for people that uses reinx / sx os/ atmosphere?

• Total voters

eikichi09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's awesome! We'll have to figure out a time we can get this all set up and running!

And don't worry, I'm not that great at Splat either, we'll probably mostly be running around each other and seeing whether or not it's laggy.

Well done guys, looking forward to your feedback!

Serfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii: Wiimmfi, AltWFC
3DS/Wii U: Foxverse for Miiverse maybe?
Switch: Not needed really for right now

Xlink Kai is for 5th-6th gen consoles
PS2, OG Xbox, GC, 306, PS3 and PSP. It may support other devices but those are the main ones.

Switch is going for paid online very soon. Say good-bye to your free online when this happens.

For that reason alone, I think this should be made as an option. Every user who doesn't want to pay online will want to opt for this instead.

Type_O_Dev

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not matter, in this case you're not breaking any sort of copyright law or anything regarding the DMCA. You are not creating a "game server." Ok, technically one of the Nintendo Switches has to Host the LAN game, so yes, that's creating a game server, but that's one that Nintendo programmed into the game, you're not stealing code or anything like that. This wouldn't even required CFW or any other mods to the Switch, you just need a LAN adapter and a way of linking it to a VPN.

All you are doing is using the internet to bridge multiple network connections together, basically as if you had an extremely long ethernet cable going from your house to your friend's house. This doesn't break anything in the DMCA, no matter what console or game it is.

Now, what they could go against is if you tried to recreate their $20 a month service, but that would be an extremely difficult thing to do, we'd have to break SSL encryption and study the protocols the games use, and re-implement things like matchmaking. You'd basically be making Wiimmfi for Nintendo Switch. I'm not suggesting anything close to that.

Those sorts of terms in the DMCA are more geared toward if you were to make your own private server for games like World of Warcraft or Runescape. In this case you're not putting up a game server at all, you're putting up a VPN server and using it to link networks together, networks that just so happen to have Nintendo Switches on them. :P
I would be interested in testing this method. I have a usb ethernet adapter for my switch and have setup tunneling services before.

Reactions: RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be interested in testing this method. I have a usb ethernet adapter for my switch and have setup tunneling services before.
That's wonderful! I'll include you on the beta test too! The more the merrier!

Have you ever set up an OpenVPN client before? Do you have a Windows PC with more than one network adapter?

Reactions: Type_O_Dev

zaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
only TX has the skill and inclination to do this. CFW devs are anti-piracy they won't waste their time develop something for pirates.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Why is the suggestion tag even a thing. Every time a thread with it is created they are useless. We already have like 10 other threads on this subject. Requires a lot more work than anyone is willing to do.

For reference, Wii U / Wii / 3DS etc. only recently started seeing alternative servers.

Not really a valid point.. Considering they were all free and up until super recently all but one of never banned you or had a method to.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only TX has the skill and inclination to do this. CFW devs are anti-piracy they won't waste their time develop something for pirates.
That's nonsense. I'm not a CFW dev, tunneling traffic to simulate a LAN link doesn't require that much skill. And it's not just for pirates, this would help anybody who wants to play online without paying for Nintendo's subscription.

It will also let people who want to play with their friends online with cheats and mods enabled do so without risking a ban.

Type_O_Dev

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's wonderful! I'll include you on the beta test too! The more the merrier!

Have you ever set up an OpenVPN client before? Do you have a Windows PC with more than one network adapter?
wouldn't go online without it. I've had vpn setup since linksys dd-wrt54g and now have a asus that has built in support for openpvn

I gotta say some of the replies to this thread are hilarious. This is 100% legal and frankly almost no one knows what they are talking about. Apparently the switch must be their first console the original xbox is what got me into homebrew and if anyone knew what they were talking about they would know this has been done prior to even xbox. pirated games use to use tunneling services in order to play with friends

Last edited by Type_O_Dev,

zaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
That's nonsense. I'm not a CFW dev, tunneling traffic to simulate a LAN link doesn't require that much skill. And it's not just for pirates, this would help anybody who wants to play online without paying for Nintendo's subscription.

It will also let people who want to play with their friends online with cheats and mods enabled do so without risking a ban.

No but it would primarily used by pirates. This is like saying devs should make a xci/nsp loader because some legit players want it for backup purposes. Is it true? Yes but it's a tiny minority. I'm not saying no scene devs have the skill but currently the ones who do are also morally against piracy. You are waiting for a skilled dev who's also okay with their work being used by pirates. It's gonna be a while before someone like that show up.

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No but it would primarily used by pirates. This is like saying devs should make a xci/nsp loader because some legit players want it for backup purposes. Is it true? Yes but it's a tiny minority. I'm not saying no scene devs have the skill but currently the ones who do are also morally against piracy. You are waiting for a skilled dev who's also okay with their work being used by pirates. It's gonna be a while before someone like that show up.
You definitely don't understand. The idea here isn't to replicate the Switch's online functionality, it's to link multiple separate LAN networks over the internet and to make the Switch think it's just directly talking to the other Switch over the same local network. It's not very complicated, but also not very convenient.

zaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
You definitely don't understand. The idea here isn't to replicate the Switch's online functionality, it's to link multiple separate LAN networks over the internet and to make the Switch think it's just directly talking to the other Switch over the same local network. It's not very complicated, but also not very convenient.

Sure make one for us then. We will be waiting for your hombrew.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hackers on Nintendo's servers are bad enough. Imagine playing on private servers. I can only assume some of you do in other games. What a mess. You couldn't pay me to play on hacked servers.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure make one for us then. We will be waiting for your hombrew.
Dumbass, this won't even require homebrew. All the tools you need are already out there and have existed since before the Switch was even released. This will be usable by stock consoles.

If everything works out, I'm thinking of building a site that would automatically generate OpenVPN client certificates for anyone who signs up. We can have a report system, where if you're caught cheating on a server that's not designated for mods you would be banned.

laurorual

What are you looking for?
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dumbass, this won't even require homebrew. All the tools you need are already out there and have existed since before the Switch was even released. This will be usable by stock consoles.

If everything works out, I'm thinking of building a site that would automatically generate OpenVPN client certificates for anyone who signs up. We can have a report system, where if you're caught cheating on a server that's not designated for mods you would be banned.

Will this only work with an USB Ethernet adapter or can I use it wirelessly with my PC that has a WiFi adapter? I don't know much about how does VPN works so I got a little confused.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this only work with an USB Ethernet adapter or can I use it wirelessly with my PC that has a WiFi adapter? I don't know much about how does VPN works so I got a little confused.
For this initial test, it requires the USB Ethernet adapter. We may be able to do something with wireless play in the future, but I've heard that the Switch uses some sort of proprietary signal so it might not be possible. It's also likely that encryption will make things difficult.

Even if we do manage to bridge local wireless play connections, I highly doubt you would be able to mix-and-match them. Meaning that if your Switch is trying to connect via local wireless, I highly doubt there is anything we can do to make it talk to a Switch that's connected via ethernet.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is the suggestion tag even a thing. Every time a thread with it is created they are useless. We already have like 10 other threads on this subject. Requires a lot more work than anyone is willing to do.

For reference, Wii U / Wii / 3DS etc. only recently started seeing alternative servers.
While I think you're probably right in that it's a lot of hard work, it's unfair comparing it to the 3DS and Wii U where there hasn't been a need for it at all.

Reactions: SaffronXL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn