Creating your own thumbnails for the EZ-Flash Omega firmware

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Drumaster, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Drumaster
    OP

Drumaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    France
    Hello,

I wanted to write a very short and easy tuto to allow people to make their own thumbnails for their homebrew games/demos to use with the EZ-Flash Omega firmware. As the steps are very specific, I thought it deserves a quick guide about how to do it guys.
    Thanks to kuwanger and EZ-Flash2 for their help on this BTW.

Prerequisites:
    - Thumbnail pack downloadable at http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/IMGS.zip
    - Photoshop (I use CC 2017 for instance). I could not find any other easy way to do it without Photoshop, sorry.
    - GBA Tool Advance (GBATA): https://gbatemp.net/download/gbata-gba-tool-advance-0-7a.223/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First we need to convert your thumbnail in a specific BMP format that EZ-Flash Omega will accept (other format won't be accepted or displayed properly).

Open Photoshop and first resize the image by going into Image > Image Size and do the same as below:

[​IMG]

Then we need to reverse Red and Blue value in Image > Adjustments > Channel Mixer like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After that we're going to export the image in the proper BMP format, go to File > Save As and select BMP format and set the options this way:

[​IMG]

An easy way to know if your file is incompatible with the Omega is to look at its size. It has to be exactly 19,256 bytes in the file properties (real size, not the one on your disk). If your file size is different, it should not work.

Now we're going to name correctly your thumbnail. Its name has to be the LAST 4 letters of the game serial id (you may encounter more than 4 letters) + 'bmp' file extension. To get the serial id of the game, open your GBA rom with GBA Tool Advance (GBATA):

[​IMG]

The file has to be put in the folder structure shown below, using the first 2 letters of the game id:

[​IMG]

So, for 'BTGE.bmp', put your file in /IMGS/B/T so it can be displayed through Omega menu.

Now just launch your GBA with your Omega and it should be displayed fine when selecting your game!

Here's an example:

[​IMG]

Hope it will helps some of you to customize their thumbnails. :)

David

Last edited by Drumaster, Jul 5, 2018
  2. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    A more reliable way to get the game serial is using a tool like gbata (avaliable here: http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm) to display all information about the ROM.
    2018-07-05 08_25_05-GBA Tool Advance (c)2003-2006 by coolhj.

btw: *technically* you don't need a GBA or an EZ-Flash Omega to create the thumbnails. You only need those for using them :P

Last edited by Localhorst86, Jul 5, 2018
  3. Drumaster
    OP

Drumaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    France
    Yeah, using GBATA is a more sexy way, I edited my post. Thanks.

4. Axel-MaV

Axel-MaV Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2008
    Brazil
    I'm working on a tool to do this, currently is possible to create only one file at time, but I am implementing new features:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Drumaster likes this.
  5. Drumaster
    OP

Drumaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    France
    That's simply amazing, thanks. :)

This way, no need to have a Photoshop license anymore (I used the trial that is now expired...) and it's more convenient to use a very light dedicated tool as well, thanks. :)

EDIT: I can't test it anymore as I returned my Omega but I just saw that it gives thumbnails with a file size of 19,254 bytes instead 19,256 bytes, not a big deal here I guess though. But I also noticed the thumbnails given by your tool are a bit more blurry than with Photoshop. Did/can you use Bicubic Sharper (reduction) or something similar?

Last edited by Drumaster, Jul 8, 2018
  6. Axel-MaV

Axel-MaV Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2008
    Brazil
    Yes, I'm working on it now. Something like this GIF (the old blurry image to a new sharper image)?
    [​IMG]

7. Drumaster
    OP

Drumaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    France
    Yeah, exactly, the sharpest one is much better. Seems similar to Bicubic sharper. :)

8. CoupureElectrique

CoupureElectrique Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2018
    Canada
    Anyone have a Qwak thumbnail (same style as the normal ones) by any chance?