shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I did a similar thread over in the GBA arena and you guys were great on getting me hooked up. Now I can create my own backups and don't have to rely on outside sources for those items. Now I would like to do the same for my Nintendo DS game carts as well. I have the following hardware to work with right now.

R4DS Slot-1 cart
M3 Perfect Lite Slot-2 cart
Action Replay DS cart (usable as a NoPass by holding down Select during boot)

I have the following software to use at this time. Tricks on using this software or pointers to other software that may work for my task are appreciated.

M3/G6 Rom Dumper
WRT Dumper

Progress:

M3/G6 Rom Dumper
R4DS + M3 Perfect Lite -- Forget it. It sits for several hours -- asks to reinsert the cart and won't continue. It won't even accept the R4DS to continue. Filesystem gets corrupted because it didn't finish building the file.

Action Replay DS + M3 Perfect Lite -- Well it appeared to work. Went surprisingly well. I had inserted in the cart to be read (Children of Mana in this case) and it continued. Then it asked for the original cart. It wouldn't allow me to simply reinsert the same cart. I actually had to reinsert the Action Replay DS unit and then it would finish. I got a file from it and it is the first time the file system didn't get messed up as a result of my attempts.

WRT Dumper
R4DS + M3 Perfect Lite -- Only get GBA dump option -- can't even dump those complaining of no suitable storage
M3 Perfect Lite only -- Only get GBA dump option (obviously) -- same result as when I had an R4DS inserted
Action Replay DS + M3 Perfect Lite -- Get menu for NDS or GBA dump but selecting NDS option comes back showing the id for the Action Replay DS and complains of no suitable storage for the dump.

So... ummm... I could use a little help here. If there is different hardware that I should get for this task then I am open to suggestions. One thing to note here..... FlashMe is not really an option at all. The last thing I want to do is risk potentially bricking my ds and voiding my warranty.

O.G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I have a little secret for you. The passme can be taken out at the menu. It temporarily flashes your nds for the duration it's on. So, boot up the M3 in the DS mode. When you hit the menu of the M3. Take the passme off. Then start the dumping process.
I have a supercard, but the same principals of the Passme, still apply to all slot 2 nds flashcarts.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
whats wrong with using the rom of the games your trying to dump. Its just a waste of time trying to dump a game which is already on the internet.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because downloading a game from the internet is illegal regardless of whether you have it or not.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Because downloading a game from the internet is illegal regardless of whether you have it or not.

so is dumping a game is it not
unsure.gif
just download the rom your breaking the law whatever option you do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_policy

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
1. U have to use a flashed NDS/NDSL or U cant passthough the last step which can not identify your original cart
2. M3 Dumper work with all M3/G6 product but only M3-CF can 100% get a good dump, some games will get nuke if u are using M3-SD/mini-SD/microSD or G6

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to dump with WRG dumper you need to have a flashed DS or use a passcard. If you use a passcard, when on the menu, but before booting the WRG dumper, swap out the passcard for the game you want to dump. Then boot it. Should give you an option to dump NDS. Go into that option and insert either a GBA Movie Player v2 or M3 CF. Those are the ONLY things that will work. Then you press start and the dumping should begin. Then after a period of time it'll ask you to reinsert the game, so do as it says and press start. Once that's done, you should have your game dumped onto your CF card.
smile.gif

EDIT: Also, you can't use the M3 CF to boot the WRG dumper, you need a totally separate slot 2 cart to do that.

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
For eveybody refernce, WRG Dumper V1.4 have a bug that if the CF card have no files inside, the dump maybe Nuke, so U better creat a test file or something at the root dir of the CF card

shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
For clarification.... Fair Use act states that you are permitted one backup copy of any software, on any media, that you legally own. This includes cartridges, vhs tapes, audio cassettes, cds, those arcade units where you read the chips by inserting them in chip readers, etc. The dvd movies have been an exception because dmca steps in and overrides fair use. Also for it to be fair use then you have to actually create the backup. It can't be one you downloaded. So I have gone and did my own dumps for my own gba games. Just need to do my Nintendo DS ones.

O.G said:
Okay, I have a little secret for you. The passme can be taken out at the menu. It temporarily flashes your nds for the duration it's on. So, boot up the M3 in the DS mode. When you hit the menu of the M3. Take the passme off. Then start the dumping process.
I have a supercard, but the same principals of the Passme, still apply to all slot 2 nds flashcarts.

Ok. Which one are you referring to as the Passme? Are you saying I should take it out prior to launching the M3/G6 dumper?

thegame07 said:
so is dumping a game is it not
unsure.gif
just download the rom your breaking the law whatever option you do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_policy

That policy refers to emulation of the games. I haven't stated what I was going to do with the backups but I guess I will now. They will actually be loaded onto my R4DS and played using that unit. It is so that I don't have to haul around my retail carts. I don't plan on using an emulator for my DS games.

ahtin said:
 1. U have to use a flashed NDS/NDSL or U cant passthough the last step which can not identify your original cart
2. M3 Dumper work with all M3/G6 product but only M3-CF can 100% get a good dump, some games will get nuke if u are using M3-SD/mini-SD/microSD or G6

Are you serious about the flashing bit?? If I am going to flash then I might just get a second DS just for this purpose. Used of course because $120 is a bit much to pay for something that may potentially turn into a brick in the process. Also then I have an unflashed unit to check the games on.

SpikeyNDS
 If you're going to dump with WRG dumper you need to have a flashed DS or use a passcard. If you use a passcard, when on the menu, but before booting the WRG dumper, swap out the passcard for the game you want to dump. Then boot it. Should give you an option to dump NDS. Go into that option and insert either a GBA Movie Player v2 or M3 CF. Those are the ONLY things that will work. Then you press start and the dumping should begin. Then after a period of time it'll ask you to reinsert the game, so do as it says and press start. Once that's done, you should have your game dumped onto your CF card.
smile.gif

EDIT: Also, you can't use the M3 CF to boot the WRG dumper, you need a totally separate slot 2 cart to do that.

Have you done this already on an unflashed unit or does this only work on a flashed unit?

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yes, I am serious , U must flash yr NDSL

by the way, some of the game can using passme device (not passme 2 or passcard) with the NDS original firmware V3 or earlier when dumping

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is against the law to make a backup if your breaking copyright protection. Which you have to do to dump a nds game. So it is infact illegal. if you read this bit here you would infact see the case
QUOTE said:
and that Nintendo's efforts fudge the truth about copyright laws, mainly that ROM copiers are illegal (they actually are legal if used to dump unprotected ROM images on to a user's computer for personal use), and that emulators are illegal (If they do not use copyrighted BIOS, or use other methods to run the game, they are legal). This stance is largely apocryphal, however; Nintendo remains the only modern console manufacturer which has not sued an emulator manufacturer (the most public example being Sony vs. Bleem.)

nintendo ds games are protected so that = illegal.

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
US Law not equal to other countries.

Most of the country's law is not allow End User to make copy myself but US accept it.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
US Law not equal to other countries.

Most of the country's law is not allow End User to make copy myself but US accept it.

thats a false rumour that link i gave was about NOA laws about copyright. If that was the case there would be no need for copyright protection would there? you cant break copyright protection without breaking the law thats why its there.

. heres a quote from NOA site QUOTEYes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

May i also say your R4 is infact illegal.

shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
That is correct. It is a fact that I am located in the US so I am governed to US laws. The DMCA is the only issue point where it states about breaking copy protection schemes but honestly I could care less. The act is an overly-vague law that is abused by the music and movie industries. The main point is that I want to do it myself and not rely on some "download". It makes me feel better if I do the backup myself. So let's get back to the topic of how to do this. I'm going to give what SpikeyNDS said a shot on my unflashed unit and if it still doesn't work then I will go out a buy a unit to flash for this purpose. Wouldn't of been the first time I did that. I got a new router and switch set for the sole purpose of modification. Voided the warranty as soon as it came out of the box.
wink.gif

BTW, Bleem lost because they ran out of money to continue to fight Sony. Sony is a bully in the gaming industry.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im not trying to be a pain in the ass
laugh.gif
I read your first post and thought you where a person who wants to abide by the law. So i was trying to inform you you might aswell download the rom rather than having the hassle to sit and dump the games.

shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Oh. I know what you were trying to do... I never thought of you as a "pain in the ass".
laugh.gif
Sorry if I make you think that I thought that. I never said that I abide 100% by the law.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no need to apologize
laugh.gif
i just read my posts andi thought i sounded like a pain in the ass however i was really trying to help
laugh.gif
Well i hope you find out how to do it
unsure.gif
good luck.

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I am one of the stupid guy who only play game on flash card which is dumped myself, but I know this is illegal but not my own country
biggrin.gif

EDIT for quoteing wrong thread

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
There's also another thread.. I think it's run by Warm Woolly Sheep (or something along the lines of that)

I am one of the stupid guy who only play game on flash card which is dumped myself, but I know this is illegal but not my own country
biggrin.gif

Posted it in the wrong thread -___-

EDIT: I
EDIT: Wait, no I didn't

Oh............................................. Sorry..........................................
bow.gif

I click the reply button, but maybe wrong click the Quote button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night