Creating cheat codes?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by GeekyGuy, Apr 5, 2008.

Apr 5, 2008

Creating cheat codes? by GeekyGuy at 4:06 PM (1,250 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Sometime back I downloaded a cheat editor from Team Cyclops' site. If memory serves, it was packed in with one of their firmware releases. Anyway, I'm not sure if that's what I need to create cheats for various games to be used on the Evo card, but I'd like to learn how to make my own cheats. I opened the program and looked around a bit, but I can't make heads or tails of it. I know nothing about programming, tweaking or any of that good stuff, but I would like to be able to make my own changes for various games. Can someone lead me to a tutorial (for laymen), or advise me on how to get started with this?

Thanks

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Most cheats are found by searching the memory of the game while it is running, and trial and error.

For instance, you have 3 lives left. So you search through the RAM for all instances of 3. You die. You then search the RAM for all instances of 2, and note the values which have changed from 3 to 2, and save those addresses. You die again. You now go the the saved addresses and see if one of them has changed to 1, and save them. You then edit those values while the game is running and see what they do.

To make cheats for the DS, you will either need Datel's trainer toolkit, or an emulator and the ability to search through the RAM in use by that process on that computer.

3. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Ah, I see. So it's not a simple process of unpacking the ROM and having a program analyze it for various changeable quantities. [​IMG]

Oh well. Guess I'll leave this one to the pros, in that case. Thanks, though.

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    irpacynot, just follow this thread here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=77646

There a couple people that will always convert my compilation to work for the CycloDS. Go to the end of the thread for the latest CycloDS update.

Cheers!

P.S. - Yeah, I don't know jack about actually creating codes either. I'm sure I could figure it out if I tried......I used to do it on the old C64, but I don't have time for it anymore, what with my new job and all. Not to mention I don't actually use cheats anyway.....except for that backlight code.

5. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Thanks, man. I'll check out that link.

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i used to hack codes for the ps1 and gameboy back in the days, i had one of those Xplorers that fit in the back of the serial port of the ps1, good times [​IMG]