Homebrew creating and porting homebrew games

mrissaoussama

Hiuhbi32
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Is it easy? Like just configuring controls and convert it to 3dsx? Ported homebrew games are appearing very fast, how do I do that if that is possible, for example I'd like to port plants vs zombies to the 3ds.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it easy? Like just configuring controls and convert it to 3dsx? Ported homebrew games are appearing very fast, how do I do that if that is possible, for example I'd like to port plants vs zombies to the 3ds.
This reminds me of that one thread about changing an exe to 3dsx. but no. It was simple for doom because it was really just get emulated on dosbox for the 3ds. Ports for newer games are normally bad because the ports are made by lots of coding that may take a while. Also have you heard of the question mark? You should really add that if your go to make the name of your thread look like a how to or something.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it easy? Like just configuring controls and convert it to 3dsx?
No, it's not easy. 'Converting it to 3dsx' is a mammoth oversimplification of the process.

Ported homebrew games are appearing very fast
What do you mean by 'fast'? That would surely depend on when the programmer started working on it. It might have taken months from starting the project to getting to the point of releasing something.

how do I do that if that is possible, for example I'd like to port plants vs zombies to the 3ds.
Impossible. You need the source code to port anything, and Plants Vs. Zombies is not open source.

Reactions: SLiV3R and Mrrraou

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Porting an homebrew is usually simpler than coding it from scratch. If the code is highly portable (i.e based on standard libraries), there is the possibility that you only need to digit the "make" command, but more usually you have to be an expert coder, experienced of the target system (and sometime of the source system too).

If you need to adapt I/O functions calls or system calls, It's a creative task, not something that can be automated.

Last edited by nop90,
Reactions: SLiV3R

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Porting is not as easy as it might seem. Porting can only happen if the source code is public or you are the original creator (and as such have access to the source code). When porting other system's homebrew it's also not as easy as just running 'make' in the command line. Often times it's not your code so you'll first have to learn how the game is programmed (where rendering and inputs are done primarily), this requires a understanding of some sort of the source system (how it handles rendering and inputs etc.) so you know what is even going on in the code. After you know what the code does and how it does it you'll have to rewrite huge parts if not nearly everything from the rendering, input, fs etc. code to work with the other system.

Now in some cases this is easier then others, but in all cases it's not as simple as opening a program putting game for system 1 in and expecting the game to come out as a 3dsx.

Noelemahc

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Plants vs Zombies is on sale for DSiWare. You can play DSiWare on the 3DS legally. GO BUY IT like a normal person.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country

I think ported games for the 3ds is appearing very slow. Max a couple of ported games per month.

If there were a couple of ported games per week, then I could agree with your statement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: