Creating a Wii disc image

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Helsionium, Jul 25, 2010.

Jul 25, 2010

Creating a Wii disc image by Helsionium at 8:49 PM (2,378 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Helsionium
    OP

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    Hi there,

I am currently working on reverse-engineering a game for the purpose of editing, modding and improving it and/or using its engine for new games or ports of older games. Obviously, I'm working with the extracted files and directories here and using the Trucha signer or WiiScrubber doesn't give me enough freedom here.

What I need to do is to create a valid, playable Wii disc image almost from scratch. For now, I can keep the original's apploader and main dol (which is only a forwarder anyway), but since I need to change the directory structure and add/remove files, I cannot reuse the original FST. So my question is: Is there a tool I can use to build a Wii disc image from the extracted files?

Many thanks in advance!

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    You would need to create you own main.dol to set your directories as you like, and that can be a little bit challenging....!! [​IMG]

3. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
  4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    With the partition builder (1.1 not 1.0!) from Dack(the guy who wrote WiiScrubber) you can create a partition with the extracted files. And then you can just overwrite the game partion with the new one.

5. Helsionium
    OP

Austria
    Thanks WiiPower, that's exactly what I was looking for!

6. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    Its your decision but what is easier and faster as "wit copy fst_dir my.iso" to generate an ISO. And "wit copy fst_dir my.wbfs" generates directly a WBFS file for USB loaders with FAT/NTFS support. I you have a WBFS drive use "wwt add --auto fst_dir".

And if you want to change the ID, just add "--id newid" to any of the commands.

7. Helsionium
    OP

Austria
    Hmm I must have completely missed your WBFS tool, it's great - makes composing game images for testing purposes much faster! Thank you for pointing it out!

8. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    It started as WWT (Wiims WBFS Tool) but now it is WIT (Wiimm ISO Toolset). FST directories are accepted like any other ISO source, composing is done transparently in the background.