Hacking Creating a North American, non-XL New 3DS

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you'd honestly have to try it or see if YifanLu knows. The version patch definitely, the S/N and region I can't answer.

Though my own question in yifan_lu's direction if they know: Does secureinfo have any other identifying information than the S/N, and if so is it used? Basically, could I patch my N3DS S/N in and safely use a NNID despite it being a public info?

No, it would probably be the opposite. I can check-in on Pokemon Shuffle on my O3DS without being on the newest version (9.6, for example). Many NNID interactions don't require being on the newest update. It seems the ones that involve transfer of funds (eShop purchases/System Transfer/Theme purchases, however you can BROWSE the theme shop without being on the newest version...) tend to require newest software version.

My worry is if I get this to work with the S/N patch settings (using the Japanese serial number), then I would also have to do these steps every time I even check-in with Shuffle. However, if the step to patch the SOAP region returns to USA is needed for every NNID transaction (even for things like Shuffle check-ins), then it doesn't matter...

EDIT: FYI, I'm using a SecureInfo file from a New 3DS XL US that I specifically purchased for this purpose, so using that SN in general should work fine (nothing important tied to it), I just hope to only have to do these patching steps when I actually purchase things...

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it would probably be the opposite. I can check-in on Pokemon Shuffle on my O3DS without being on the newest version (9.6, for example). Many NNID interactions don't require being on the newest update. It seems the ones that involve transfer of funds (eShop purchases/System Transfer/Theme purchases, however you can BROWSE the theme shop without being on the newest version...) tend to require newest software version.

My worry is if I get this to work with the S/N patch settings (using the Japanese serial number), then I would also have to do these steps every time I even check-in with Shuffle. However, if the step to patch the SOAP region returns to USA is needed for every NNID transaction (even for things like Shuffle check-ins), then it doesn't matter...

Might I note that if you're on 9.2 to do this, you have NTR available, and thus can probably export your Shuffle save to an unencrypted format and set your stuff to max?
Completely irrelevant to the actual issue, but just crossed my mind.

But as for the patching, I really don't know what it needs. Sorry.

In other news, blurtastic quality photo... not that I'm sure I need to prove myself, but I just feel glad it works right now.
20150422_194128.jpg

Edit: Hrm, trying to download says this download code cannot be used with your current region settings. I'll play around with what I have access to. Perhaps step 3 was needed, or perhaps it's something else. It does connect though, so it has to be close...

Edit 2: In the words of a Pokemon Trainer, "Gah! It was so close, too!" Tried connecting with O3DS serial and going back, nada. Tried connecting with O3DS serial and download there, nada.
Tried the pokemon updates too. Those were already in my history, thus they went to redownload since they seem to be region free like their original games. They download fine from that state.
To ensure the problem wasn't just Smash, I tried the MH4U update, same result as Smash: Error 011-6568 "The activation code you entered cannot be used with your current region settings."
For the record, I did go into System Settings and set region to US/NH.
To add more record onto the record, I noted that the loading screen circle popped as though it was done loading *repeatedly* after pressing download (trying to pull rating info) for Smash/MH4U updates.

Edit 3: In my rushing and stupidity, deleted the eShop account. The confirmation unsurprisingly took the S/N I patched in, and now unsurprisingly gets the error on connecting we all know and love: Instant 005-5602. My idiocy knows few bounds.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I made another attempt off this suggestion. I restored my NAND to my Japanese image and relinked my previously created JPN NNID, this worked fine and with the NIM update patch, I was able to enter the Japanese eShop.

I then restored my US NAND image with an existing US NNID and patched NIM for update/US region SOAP return/Serial Number in act/cfg and attempted to enter eShop. I got a step further this time, it asked me to enter my NNID password! However, I then quickly received the error code: 022-2634.

For reference, in my previous attempts, where I was getting error code: 005-5602, I did do the swap trick where you create a NNID on original region, then load without NNID and get 011-3136 error, then turn off and load new region with NNID.

Can you delete your NNID in the original region? I don't know if nintendo doesn't like two accounts associated on one console. So delete NNID in original region and then enter eshop that would get you a new legacy acount. Then change the region, patch serial in memory, and create a NNID in the new region. Then attempt to enter eshop.

Reactions: Ichii Giki

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you delete your NNID in the original region? I don't know if nintendo doesn't like two accounts associated on one console. So delete NNID in original region and then enter eshop that would get you a new legacy acount. Then change the region, patch serial in memory, and create a NNID in the new region. Then attempt to enter eshop.

Success (at least somewhat)! At least without NNIDs, I patched NIM for updates only and logged into eShop on original region with no NNID set (to get legacy account). Then I set back to region changed NAND backup with no NNID either. I only patched NIM for US SOAP region and updates (didn't do the serial number patches as I'm trying to use the serial number from SecureInfo_A from US New 3DS XL that I bought for this) and I was able to enter the eShop! However, just tried downloading Smash Bros. update for a test and got this error:
Error Code: 011-6568
The activation code you entered cannot be used with your current region settings. Please check the information you entered and try again.

So close...almost there...

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least without NNIDs, I patched NIM for updates only and logged into eShop on original region with no NNID set (to get legacy account).

Just to confirm... you were able to get into the eShop with only the update check patched out? :O
If so, I'm soooo happy to hear this, even if it didn't work fully.

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to confirm... you were able to get into the eShop with only the update check patched out? :O
If so, I'm soooo happy to hear this, even if it didn't work fully.

They did so on the console's original Jp/Eu region, not the Us

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's another interesting thing, I just wanted to test it, with only USregion/update patches on NIM, I went into System Transfer and I was able to get all the way to the step to select myself as target system! I don't know if the transfer would work given the eShop problems...right now it's sitting at the screen telling me to select this system from the source system and the network connection says "Local"...

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success (at least somewhat)! At least without NNIDs, I patched NIM for updates only and logged into eShop on original region with no NNID set (to get legacy account). Then I set back to region changed NAND backup with no NNID either. I only patched NIM for US SOAP region and updates (didn't do the serial number patches as I'm trying to use the serial number from SecureInfo_A from US New 3DS XL that I bought for this) and I was able to enter the eShop! However, just tried downloading Smash Bros. update for a test and got this error:
The activation code you entered cannot be used with your current region settings. Please check the information you entered and try again.

Well, we at least proved how to produce the error. *high five*
Now we just need to get past that wall, somehow... We have proof that the activation of the license is the issue, as existing software downloads fine (provided it exists), so the error appears to be telling the truth.

For now, I restored my JP backup (didn't make a US one, +1 to idiocy meter) and am just going to verify functionality as-is and wait a little while before touching it again.

Reactions: Ichii Giki

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, just tried downloading Smash Bros. update for a test and got this error:

Possibly stupid question, but I figure it's worth asking: what is your country set to? Since it's possible to do a region change and keep the original country in system settings if you don't format.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's another interesting thing, I just wanted to test it, with only USregion/update patches on NIM, I went into System Transfer and I was able to get all the way to the step to select myself as target system! I don't know if the transfer would work given the eShop problems...right now it's sitting at the screen telling me to select this system from the source system and the network connection says "Local"...

I also just tried going into System Transfer WITHOUT patching USregionSOAPcalls, only patched updates in NIM, got an error right away saying the region on the system has changed. Rebooted, patched both again and re-entered with no problem up to the point of selecting target system awaiting source system in System Transfer. I'm so tempted to just try it from my O3DS and see what happens... I wonder if the only changes to the System Transfer app in 9.6 were because of all the encryption stuff they added and the protocol didn't actually really change... It is just a BIG risk.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly stupid question, but I figure it's worth asking: what is your country set to? Since it's possible to do a region change and keep the original country in system settings if you don't format.

Not a bad question. I did reset it from "Japan" to "United States" and I even changed my name from the Japanese character username just to be safe.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That error is that your legacy account is in a different region than the store region and that such a title does not exist in your region therefore you can't get a ticket for it (basically the same problem as trying to register a legacy account for a different region). You NEED to link an NNID before you can download anything or even buy anything because then ninja gets a token from NNID and not IVS.

Loaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Redid with N3DS and actually applying US region, got in.
Download history lists the content that was on my system from JP (a Majora's update that didn't work, the JP Flipnote, the 3D demo and Pokemon X/ORAS updates) except one (Smash update).

Are you certain you are on the US eShop now? Do JP exclusive titles show up when you search for them? You can use this list to reference if needed; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

I only ask because when I first region changed my o3DS emuNAND I was still connecting to my original region's eShop. It wasn't until I formatted my emuNAND to unlink it from my sysNAND that I started connecting to the correct region's eShop. When I was connecting to the original region's eShop, my old download history was still there. But when I finally got on the new region's eShop my download history was empty.

This could be because I had to set up an NNID, in which case you having your old download history wouldn't mean anything, but I thought it was worth checking since I thought I was on the new region eShop at first until I verified by checking for region exclusive releases.

edit: I see your situation changed since that post. I still think you might have been connecting to the wrong region's eShop though.

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you certain you are on the US eShop now? Do JP exclusive titles show up when you search for them? You can use this list to reference if needed; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

I only ask because when I first region changed my o3DS emuNAND I was still connecting to my original region's eShop. It wasn't until I formatted my emuNAND to unlink it from my sysNAND that I started connecting to the correct region's eShop. When I was connecting to the original region's eShop, my old download history was still there. But when I finally got on the new region's eShop my download history was empty.

This could be because I had to set up an NNID, in which case you having your old download history wouldn't mean anything, but I thought it was worth checking since I thought I was on the new region eShop at first until I verified by checking for region exclusive releases.

edit: I see your situation changed since that post. I still think you might have been connecting to the wrong region's eShop though.

It was US, the content was english and only the Pokemon updates had valid links.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That error is that your legacy account is in a different region than the store region and that such a title does not exist in your region therefore you can't get a ticket for it (basically the same problem as trying to register a legacy account for a different region). You NEED to link an NNID before you can download anything or even buy anything because then ninja gets a token from NNID and not IVS.

Patch references:
1. S/N patch in act/cfg modules
2. Return US SOAP region in NIM module
3. Patch update check in NIM module

So I tried this twice, once with NNID I created matching S/N in SecureInfo_A file (from US N3DS XL) only using patch #3 from above -> asked for password on eShop, entered, was logging in, then Error Code: 011-6949

Second try, I used NNID I created matching S/N from Japanese N3DS itself, using patches 1/2/3 (patch 2 hadn't been figured out yet when I created first NNID). The first time I tried to login with NNID2, I only ran patches 2/3, so I got Error Code: 022-2501 You cannot use this Nintendo Network ID on this system.
Okay, forgot to patch S/N. Tried logging in again with patches 1/2/3, this time got login prompt again, entered password, was logging in with NNID2 and...
Got error again, Error Code: 022-2634 (same as previously with NNID2).

Should I create a 3rd NNID, this time making sure that patches 2/3 are applied or is something else going wrong?

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically what you need to do is a) have a legacy account attached to your device. You do that by connecting to eshop on original region with original serial and no nnid. b) create or link a nnid with new region and original serial. c) open eshop with nnid and original serial and country patch

For me, step c didn't work until I faked my new 3ds cert and serial on my old 3ds where I got the secure info from. But that may be because I was transferring an nnid not creating a new one.

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically what you need to do is a) have a legacy account attached to your device. You do that by connecting to eshop on original region with original serial and no nnid. b) create or link a nnid with new region and original serial. c) open eshop with nnid and original serial and country patch

For me, step c didn't work until I faked my new 3ds cert and serial on my old 3ds where I got the secure info from. But that may be because I was transferring an nnid not creating a new one.

Just redid this... connected to shop with JP region, connected to US without NNID using country/serial patch, created NNID with previous patches applied, went back into NTR, reapplied same patches, connect.
Got 011-6949 "An error has occurred."

Was the use of the region patch or connecting prior to creating NNID something that screwed over my setup?

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, then maybe you do have to do the trick with the o3ds. I don't know why that would make a difference though. I don't want to experiment myself and risk screwing up the setup I have working though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)