Hacking Creating a North American, non-XL New 3DS

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the person who just (no doubt) just spent a ton of time making Google Doc suggestions to fix the formatting of my guide: I'm currently using html formatting to make the guide interoperable later. Probably should have made that clear early on. Sorry. :/

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Went through and fixed up the guide. I'm sure there's still some things wrong, but it's in pretty good shape.

Would really appreciate it if someone could go through and make sure everything works. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't; I've done 90% of the steps myself, but I can't test the last 10% because of stupid broken NFC.

Edit: Added to first post. If no one has any major objections, I'm going to make a new topic in the tutorials section soon.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many people confirmed the region switching NNID trick works? I've logged all the calls for NNID creation, registration, and eshop association and I cannot find a way to get the japanese 3ds to accept a us nnid account. I even tried to reproduce the steps as best as I could without an emunand or hardmod (since I have neither for my n3ds): 1) register Japanese NNID and get into eshop. verify that GetAccountDetails shows that the NNID is linked. 2) use the FSUser_InitializeCTRFilesystem() to format the system without connecting to Nintendo and deactivating the account. 3) opened eshop and get error code (btw the error code is from nintendo complaining you can't register this 3ds with US region because they can't give you a ticket for FlipNote 3D (JAP) since it doesn't exist in the US region). 4) shut down the system, restarted and went to NNID settings. Created a US account. 5) tried to go back to eshop to link the account. 500 Internal Server error trying to use the service token requested from nnid servers for use with eshop's ninja servers.

Quick overview. There's three "main" servers. nintendoaccount.net is for NNID stuff. eus/ivs is the "legacy" account management (pre-nnid). ninja is eshop. To link a NNID account, you have to "transfer" the NNID to a legacy account. So first it registers a legacy account from IVS and you get an accountid. This fails when you try to create a US region account because it can't find the right tickets to give you (yeah, dumb). Then in NNID settings, you create a NNID and that's all in the nintendoaccount.net server. You get the NNID account id and other info which is saved in the system. Now the key step is linking the two accounts. This is done by ninja upon first connect in shop. It first establishes a token with ecs/ivs for your device to speaking to ecs/ivs. Then an oauth token with NNID (with your username/password) for your device speaking to NNID servers. Then it requests a "service token" for NNID speaking to ecs/ivs. It fails here because if you request a service token with a different region than your account in ecs/ivs it will fail. I don't see how the emunand swapping can ever bypass this.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many people confirmed the region switching NNID trick works?
It has worked seperately for at least four people on the Old 3DS. :/

I even tried to reproduce the steps as best as I could without an emunand or hardmod (since I have neither for my n3ds): 1) register Japanese NNID and get into eshop. verify that GetAccountDetails shows that the NNID is linked. 2) use the FSUser_InitializeCTRFilesystem() to format the system without connecting to Nintendo and deactivating the account. 3) opened eshop and get error code (btw the error code is from nintendo complaining you can't register this 3ds with US region because they can't give you a ticket for FlipNote 3D (JAP) since it doesn't exist in the US region). 4) shut down the system, restarted and went to NNID settings. Created a US account. 5) tried to go back to eshop to link the account. 500 Internal Server error trying to use the service token requested from nnid servers for use with eshop's ninja servers.

As of step #3, you're still using a Japanese SecureInfo file, right? You should be.

(And if not, why is the 3DS complaining about the US region already?)

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has worked seperately for at least three people on the Old 3DS. :/

As of step #3, you're still using a Japanese SecureInfo file, right? You should be.

(And if not, why is the 3DS complaining about the US region already?)

SecureInfo is irrevant. I'm passing in all the values manually. In that case, I'm passing in my original (japanese) serial number.

EDIT: Actually, the second time, when I passed in changed region values too, I didn't get any error codes and it worked right away. Can someone give me the actual error code they received?

EDIT 2: Oh right I remember now. The error was not for registering account, it was 401 unauthorized. Aka, I can't start a ninja session without an NNID service token because it's expecting my account to be NNID linked.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I don't know then. It's certainly not encouraging. I do know for sure that it works with emuNAND on the Old 3DS.

Edit Response: If it helps, the error code that I get in the middle step—after I remove the NNID—is 007-2670. If you press A and retry, the error goes away and the eShop will connect, although then the last step (US NNID with US SecureInfo) won't work.

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a NNID, but I do have an eShop account.

I've seen mentions of NNID and how does not having a NNID attached to my eShop account affect region changing and have eShop working after?
How many people confirmed the region switching NNID trick works? ...

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a NNID, but I do have an eShop account.

I've seen mentions of NNID and how does not having a NNID attached to my eShop account affect region changing and have eShop working after?

Not having NNID means you can't purchase or download anything not from your region (provided you patch some checks). Aka, you can browse US eshop but you can't buy anything. Attaching a NNID in theory lets you purchase and download from the shop.

Scarftail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to check firmware numbers for new n3DSs being sold online? I believe the serial number is the key, but I'm not sure which serial numbers correlate with which firmware numbers. There's only a guide for that for standard 3DSs.

I'm okay now, but consider answering this for others who haven't yet bought one.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one I compiled here? https://gbatemp.net/threads/creating-a-north-american-non-xl-new-3ds.381775/page-9#post-5426381
That one works fine, it's just that Decrypt9 takes a few tries to actually launch.

I've launched it quite a few times, and it won't show more than a black screen for me. Will this work in Gateway mode at all? I've tried GW mode on both sysNAND and emuNAND.

I don't have a EUR copy of Cubic Ninja, so there is no way for me to get around the region lock and use Ninjhax without using Gateway. All I have at the moment is a PAL copy of Ocarina of Time, which I use to launch Gateway.
I'm curious about this post here:
it worked fine, both with decrypt9 (emunand) and yifan_lu injector (sysnand).
my ex-J 3ds is now an EU :)

thanks to who made this possible

I'm wondering if michyprima just meant Decrypt9 worked to dump the xorpads while in emuNAND, or if it simply worked for xorring the emuNAND image (but dumped in sysNAND).

In any case, I need a way to get my fat16 xorpads with whatever I have on hand - I have a working PAL copy of OoT (so, sysNAND without any modifications), and Cubic Ninja through Gateway.

What can I do?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've launched it quite a few times, and it won't show more than a black screen for me. Will this work in Gateway mode at all? I've tried GW mode on both sysNAND and emuNAND.

I don't have a EUR copy of Cubic Ninja, so there is no way for me to get around the region lock and use Ninjhax without using Gateway. All I have at the moment is a PAL copy of Ocarina of Time, which I use to launch Gateway.
I'm curious about this post here:

I'm wondering if michyprima just meant Decrypt9 worked to dump the xorpads while in emuNAND, or if it simply worked for xorring the emuNAND image (but dumped in sysNAND).

In any case, I need a way to get my fat16 xorpads with whatever I have on hand - I have a working PAL copy of OoT (so, sysNAND without any modifications), and Cubic Ninja through Gateway.

What can I do?

You won't be able to complete this as it is following either method without the same region's cubic ninja. Decrypt9 has to be used in sysnand (or non-gateway emunand), then the xorpad can be used to decrypt emunand.

ubergeek77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't be able to complete this as it is following either method without the same region's cubic ninja. Decrypt9 has to be used in sysnand (or non-gateway emunand), then the xorpad can be used to decrypt emunand.
That really sucks. Have there been no ARM/bootstrap/whathaveyou exploits that can be compiled to work with Ocarina of Time? I know it doesn't exist yet, but surely there must be a way to do this. We can use it to load Gateway, after all.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That really sucks. Have there been no ARM/bootstrap/whathaveyou exploits that can be compiled to work with Ocarina of Time? I know it doesn't exist yet, but surely there must be a way to do this. We can use it to load Gateway, after all.

I think the problem is that there are very few people who actually understand the exploits and code required. We have open-source memchunkhax and firmlaunch-hax now, but they're written to run from ninjhax. So to compile things to work with OOT, you need to either understand them well enough to get them to run outside of ninjhax, or get ninjhax to run from OOT. I know very little about writing code for the 3DS, but it is my understanding that ninjhax provides all of the functions like HB_FlushInvalidateCache that are used in various places in brahma/bootstrap.

Added to that, porting things to OOT simply isn't interesting. Anyone who is working on something would rather be working on it than working on porting to something they have no need for, generally.

ubergeek77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem is that there are very few people who actually understand the exploits and code required. We have open-source memchunkhax and firmlaunch-hax now, but they're written to run from ninjhax. So to compile things to work with OOT, you need to either understand them well enough to get them to run outside of ninjhax, or get ninjhax to run from OOT. I know very little about writing code for the 3DS, but it is my understanding that ninjhax provides all of the functions like HB_FlushInvalidateCache that are used in various places in brahma/bootstrap.

Added to that, porting things to OOT simply isn't interesting. Anyone who is working on something would rather be working on it than working on porting to something they have no need for, generally.
Bummer. My only other option is putting my sysNAND at risk and attempting to downgrade my System Settings so that I can use the profile exploit. But even then, I doubt there would be a way to compile a Launcher.dat that will work from System Settings, for the same reasons you stated above, on top of the current xorpad generators (that might work via the profile exploit) being written for the Old 3DS.

Well... Even without the SecureInfo_A, and leaving my 3DS's emuNAND region alone (not like I can change it anyway), can I just replace the Mii Maker and Mii Plaza with a different region using FBI? My naive reasoning would tell me, "sure! Gateway mode supports region free! No region lock!" But I know there's going to be some reason why it won't work. No harm in asking I suppose.

Reactions: sailor_moon

ubergeek77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you running FBI to begin with without Cubic Ninja?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, although I also don't know what it would accomplish.
I use Ocarina of Time to launch Gateway, and I do everything under emuNAND. It does basically everything I need apart from being able to dump the fat16 xorpads.

What would it accomplish? Well, because I prefer playing "Find Mii" and "Monster Manor" rather than "StreetPass Quest" and "Streetpass Mansion." The titles are just..... bad.

I can put up with it, sure, but I thought this would be a fun little side project nonetheless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte