Hacking Creating a North American, non-XL New 3DS

koziakauzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
some of my 9.4 emunand region swap apps crash, is it safe to use the same method? I mean reinstalling all the updated cia <9.5

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
some of my 9.4 emunand region swap apps crash, is it safe to use the same method? I mean reinstalling all the updated cia <9.5
Nothing is "Safe" when you play the game of trial and error. It's more safe if you're strictly using EmuNAND, but even then, you'll want a backup.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just a heads up for people who missed it,yifan_lu, also ran into the "bricked" nfc problem, it seems to stem from using mis-matched title versions, so be very careful when building your region changed systems
(The bizarre thing is, for what it's worth, that I never updated the NFC module separately. I've only ever updated past 9.2 using the official system updater)

While I'm here, I would just like to reiterate AGAIN that there is a clearly defined process people have used to make the eShop work on emuNAND of Old 3DS systems. I've posted it in this thread before, but people seem to keep missing it.

I got the same error at first. I did the following:
1. Prepare 3 SD cards with emuNAND:
  • Card A has EU emuNAND and a European NNID.
  • Card B has EU emuNAND and no NNID
  • Card C has JP emuNAND and a Japanese NNID
2. Insert card A and open the eShop. (Log in or create an NNID if you haven't yet)

3. Exit emuNAND and switch to card B
4. Open the eShop on card B. It will fail with an error message.*
5. Switch your 3DS off
6. Insert card C and it should work fine

In this example, Feldneger is performing an EU -> JP region change, so replace EU with the source region of your system, and JP with NA. This process has now worked for at least three people on the Old 3DS. Just this morning, it fixed the problem for a user who sent me a PM asking for help.

*Important note about step 4: Power off your 3DS AS SOON AS the eShop fails with an error. If you press A to continue into the eShop, the process will not work, and you will have to start over.

Of course, 9.6 emuNAND is impossible on the New 3DS. However, if you have a hard mod, there is no logical reason why this procedure shouldn't work on sysNAND. After all, emuNAND is just a version of sysNAND that lives on your SD Card.

Extreme important warning: attempting to swap between NAND images in this way is what bricked my New 3DS's NFC. I am moderately well convinced at this point that what happened to me was largely just bad luck, and I'd love to see someone else try it. However, you have been very severely warned.

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Extreme important warning: attempting to swap between NAND images in this way is what bricked my New 3DS's NFC. I am moderately well convinced at this point that what happened to me was largely just bad luck, and I'd love to see someone else try it. However, you have been very severely warned.
I still cannot wrap my head around why this happened. Could your nand dump be corrupted in any way ?

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
(The bizarre thing is, for what it's worth, that I never updated the NFC module separately. I've only ever updated past 9.2 using the official system updater)

While I'm here, I would just like to reiterate AGAIN that there is a clearly defined process people have used to make the eShop work on emuNAND of Old 3DS systems. I've posted it in this thread before, but people seem to keep missing it.

In this example, Feldneger is performing an EU -> JP region change, so replace EU with the source region of your system, and JP with NA. This process has now worked for at least three people on the Old 3DS. Just this morning, it fixed the problem for a user who sent me a PM asking for help.

*Important note about step 4: Power off your 3DS AS SOON AS the eShop fails with an error. If you press A to continue into the eShop, the process will not work, and you will have to start over.

Of course, 9.6 emuNAND is impossible on the New 3DS. However, if you have a hard mod, there is no logical reason why this procedure shouldn't work on sysNAND. After all, emuNAND is just a version of sysNAND that lives on your SD Card.

is there a way to try if nfc is fine without an actual amiibo?

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways the amiibo app seems to crash right as it goes to actually access the NFC device. Tried updating the amiibo app to the version from 9.6, and that solved the crashing but still couldn't read any amiibo.

0004003000009E02 is the title in question for the amiibo settings. The crash log points right to it, but doesn't give me a ton of helpful info haha.

Code:
[MP] 2015-04-07 22:29
+
PID:0x00040030_00009E02
REV:0060014
AID:0xFFFFFFFF_FFFFFFFF
ADR:0x0017EA68
RSL:0xD8E007F7

Edit: Tried installing the NFC module title 0004013020004002 v2053 and after that, amiibo settings would just sit at the loading screen until you shut off the system (It started with 00040130 so yea)

All these issues seem like the types of things that would be solved with an official update. If the 3DS updates work anything like the Wii, it should check for any missing or broken titles. Example: I had deleted every last channel off of my Wii (even the disk channel) and a system update restored everything.

That error log is the exact same freaking thing that my 3DS gets whenever I try to open Amiibo settings, as well as ~50% of all other system apps. The difference is, I ONLY get the error on 9.3+, whereas you're getting it on 9.2 (and UPDATING fixed the crash). Edit: No it's not, why did I say that? Literally only the AID line is the same, and that's meaningless.

I still cannot wrap my head around why this happened. Could your nand dump be corrupted in any way ?

If my NAND dumps are corrupted, then all 5+ of them somehow became corrupted in the exact same way, and at the same time, whereas they all used to work.

is there a way to try if nfc is fine without an actual amiibo?

It's not just that NFC doesn't work. Whenever you try to open an application/applet which loads the NFC module—which is a much larger list than you would imagine—the 3DS will crash with a black screen error message. You essentially have a semi-bricked system that can't be fixed with a NAND mod.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

yeah what yifan seemed to imply was that his nand was on 9.2 and he tried to use a app designed for 9.6 (system transfer), and that was what caused the error, not actually updating or not updating the NFC module, but the action of using the newer title that expected to be able to use the 9.3+ nfc module functions.....but as he had never updated the actual NFC functions, that is where something went wrong.........what went wrong idk, but it would seem to be the best advice not to run anything designed for 9.3+ on a 8.1-9.2 n3DS

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That error log is the exact same freaking thing that my 3DS gets whenever I try to open Amiibo settings, as well as ~50% of all other system apps. The difference is, I ONLY get the error on 9.3+, whereas you're getting it on 9.2 (and UPDATING fixed the crash).

Is my NAND dumps are corrupted, then all 5+ of them somehow became corrupted in the exact same way, and at the same time, whereas they all used to work.

It's not just that NFC doesn't work. Whenever you try to open an application/applet which loads the NFC module—which is a much larger list than you would imagine—the 3DS will crash with a black screen error message. You essentially have a semi-bricked system that can't be fixed with a NAND mod.
Did you try installing the NFC module listed by yifanlu earlier that was apparently compatible with his console as a middle-ground?

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Out of Curiosity, Since you have a nand mod. Have you tried updating to the latest firmware version to see if the NFC module works there ?

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of Curiosity, Since you have a nand mod. Have you tried updating to the latest firmware version to see if the NFC module works there ?

Are you asking me? Yeah, it's broken on 9.4-9.6 (haven't tested 9.3). Everything works on 9.0-9.2, although I don't know if that's because the OS doesn't use/need NFC, or something else.

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
if you have any sort of NFC card, bust pass, bank card etc, you can go to setup amiibo on the homecreen and put it on, it will just pop up saying "this is not an amiibo", but it will atleast let you know NFC is functioning

it did what you predicted - "this is not an amiibo"
thanks for the tip!

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you asking me? Yeah, it's broken on 9.4-9.6 (haven't tested 9.3). Everything works on 9.0-9.2, although I don't know if that's because the OS doesn't use/need NFC, or something else.

Oh, I see. I was thinking maybe one of the apps you installed could have flashed some new bios or whatever to the NFC module rendering it incompatible with earlier firmwares. But if it doesn't work on 9.6 ...

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking maybe one of the apps you installed could have flashed some new bios or whatever to the NFC module rendering it incompatible with earlier firmwares.
Somehow or other, that is what must have happened—just, minus the part I crossed out.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
to me it would seem more like it goes into some sort of lockdown mode, thus making it incompatible with newer FW versions, so its pretty much locked to only function under 8.1-9.2

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Steps taken:
  1. Followed this great guide on page 14, steps 1-14
  2. Downloaded all the titles from this great list on page 20 (excluding the usual)
  3. Used BBM to install them all! (Obviously the already existing titles were skipped)
  4. Used BRM to delete all Japanese files
  5. Used BBM / 3DNUS to update to 9.5.0U
  6. System Format just to clean up the home menu
  7. ???
  8. PROFIT
So I guess in conclusion, SOMETHING went missing during this whole process, but I have no idea what haha.

Some of the titles in this list, that are not in the exclude list of the guide give me invalid cias errors. Namely those starting with 0004003.
Edit: Removing those, it did fix the keyboard issue. Amazing.

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so for me everything seems to be in order now. I want to write my 9.2.0U emunand over my 9.2.0J sysnand. Any modification to the bin I need to make before passing it to GW's launcher ?

Edit: HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK. This has to be fate. I left my N3DS opened in SysNand while dumping and writing my NAND.bin to the SD card. Excited as I was I inserted OOT to launch the exploit and did not see the japanese message telling me to update :3...

I am indeed very upset as you might understand. Well nand mod it is...

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the titles in this list, that are not in the exclude list of the guide give me invalid cias errors. Namely those starting with 0004003.
Edit: Removing those, it did fix the keyboard issue. Amazing.

The reason it shows that message is because there is a newer version of that CIA already installed. I just deleted the CIA files that gave that message. But it looks like you figured that part out on your own!

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh snap, does this mean I bricked my N3DS somewhere along the way? :o

Amiibo settings crashes for me, but I don't recall the camera or Face Raiders crashing. I'll give it a test in a moment.

Edit: Camera and Face Raiders are both functioning properly (hadn't played Face Raiders in such a long time! Good stuff)

Edit2: The amiibo app crashes even with NFC communications turned off in the settings? May or may not be relevant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...