Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
So I've modded a dozen or so Wii's, never run into any real problem. Even modded a handful of XBox 360's. So I bought a 360 last week. Because the new Lite-On drives are a pain in the butt, I found a local modder. He was the definition of a pro with a dedicated setup for everything in his garage, extra drives, everything. Best $40 spent in a long time.

So in looking around, I mentioned it to a friend and said that I'd check into having their Wii modded for them (being lazy). That guy wanted $90, but I found this other guy that only wanted $40 for a WiiKey v2 installed. It was a bit of a drive, but I figured, hell, why not.

So I get down there, end up waiting in a dark parking lot in a so-so neighborhood because he's not answering his phone. I eventually get ahold of him via email. He gave me the address of a different building in his community... not sure why...?!

So I get there, and he's in the parking lot. He's a nice guy, but his English is not so clear. I go up to his place and pull out the Wii, put it on the table next to a soldering iron that I see, and say "so, it's $40, right?" Half expecting that I was wrong on the cheap price.

He then goes on to try and talk me into a soft mod. He says it's $30 and talks down the chip. I told him that last I heard, the soft mod no longer worked with the new updates, and could be disabled in the future. He says he has had no problems and it works 100% guaranteed. He even says that there are compatibility problems with the modchips, but this soft mod plays all games. He also says that if there is a problem, bring it back and he'll re-mod the soft mod.

He had 3 SD cards for the soft mod laid out. I almost wanted to pay him to do it just to see what it entailed. Anyway, I told him that it wasn't my Wii, and we agreed on the WiiKey v2 for $40. He tells me that it'd take a while and that he'd need to install code on the chip, etc. He says that I'd need to come back tomorrow. I let him know that I lived almost 50 miles away and worked 25 miles away, no deal.

So I decided to no longer be lazy and just install it myself. I asked to just buy the chip. He hands me a chip and says that he'll sell it for $25 (previously said $30 in email). It's (at least shaped like) an original WiiKey, but it looks slightly different, no holes. He has to take a call and I look closer at it through the static bag in the light. It had apparently already been soldered, and the holes had been filled with solder, which is why it looked like there were no holes. So the guy tried to sell me a used (and probably not working) WiiKey v1... wtf?

I will post the serial of the Wii later, but I'm pretty sure it would need a WiiKey v2 or similar chip. Anyway, I tried to be nice, because he was a nice guy and just seemed like he wasn't very smart. I told him I'd get ahold of him later and would have to check with my friend. Yeah... I'm just going to go ahead and order a chip and do it myself... no more being lazy... ugh!

So the drive serial starts with LU3195 which should be a D2C. What cheap chip would you guys recommend that doesn't involve soldering to drive legs?

Blargh.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just out of curiousity ... why dont u softmod it yourself and see how it runs with that ? you might not bother with the chip after that.
I have a chip in mine and was going to get one for my sis , but i softmodded hers and to be honest theres very little difference with the exception of the possible update issues that might take a few weeks to resolve.

if your stuck on a modchip - check out the wii-clip - makes it easier to get modchips with no soldering if u get it pre-done when sending.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I second taz... there is almost no difference between a soft and hard mod anymore, and the gap is rapidly closing... the only real advantage i can see to a chip is gamecube backups... and the softmod version of that isnt far off

kindaichi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The time u spend writting this huge post u could softmod your wii two times
laugh.gif
but really, if u are lazy, then don't go openning your Wii... it gives u more work then doing the softmod.(and cost more... )

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Louse76 said:
Nah, it's not fragile, you just have to be careful.

Where's the cheapest place I can buy a WiiKey V2 that will ship to the USA?
Cheapest I've seen is at foundmy.com $35 w/ free shipping... though they don't have the best rep they seem to have plenty of satisfied customers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s