Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled gets new gameplay trailer

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 5, 2019.

1. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    basically, it removed or drastically changed all the extra stuff (like silver coin challenge), along with characters, and tweaked things to the point it didn't really even play the same way (including, but not limited to, powerups, boss battles, etc). There are loads of youtube videos about the differences. It is such a disappointment. Just the way to NOT do a port.

Darksabre72 likes this.
  2. KyleHyde

KyleHyde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    Here's a couple of things that made it bad:
    • Tiptup's new voice actor (ie. From sounding like a silly/awkward guy to a goody two-shoes kid)
    • Low quality remasters of the entire OST (They sound worse than the original tracks; not sure if anyone ever made a restoration mod for it)
    • Rare characters (save for Tiptup) replaced with Dixie Kong and Tiny Kong.
    • Tiny Kong was given an atrocious growth spurt/older redesign, making her name ironic and probably throwing her old background info out the window. (Pretty sure they never cleared that up.)
    As the above poster said, you'll find plenty of videos that go through these changes and in-depth comparisons on Youtube.

Darksabre72 and osaka35 like this.
  3. ViDeOmAnCiNi

ViDeOmAnCiNi Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    AZ
    Big Q is, will there be a Switch Nitrous Oxide Edition and will it be physical?

4. BORTZ

BORTZ Switch Dawg

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    When I saw that the original Crash was getting a trilogy remake for the current generation, I was excited but ultimately disappointed because it was not Crash 1, Crash 2, or Crash Warped (3) that captured most of my attention on the PS1. It was Crash Team Racing. In my opinion, CTR was the best not only Crash game, but also the best cart racer for the burgeoning polygonal consoles. I had somewhere back in time, made peace with the fact that I would probably never see a CTR reboot/remake and if I did, we might have a monkey's paw situation on our hands. So I replayed CTR for the PS1 and was surprised how well it held up, at least to me, wearing my heavily rose tinted glasses. But here we are in early 2019, looking down the calendar at a summer release of a CTR remaster. And I couldn't be happier.

Alato, KyleHyde and osaka35 like this.
  5. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    As someone who played the game non-stop when I was a kid (and I still play it to this very day), I'm really really looking forward to this.

One thing that worries me is that N. Oxide is only available on the digital version, like... why?
    I'll have to buy the phisical and digital oxide versions then...

6. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    It just gives access to N.Oxide straight away, he's still unlockable.

Only 2 things missing to make this a game of the year contender:
    1) PC port
    2) Crossplay.

We keep hearing about online play, and Switch, XBox, Playstation releases, but no word on Crossplay yet.

7. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    The tracks in the video all look extremely boring to play.

8. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    What they have a polar bear as a playable racer?! Definitely getting this then.

9. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Oh, so if I buy the standard physical version I'll be able to unlock N. Oxide later on?
    Neato

10. SwitchGlitch

SwitchGlitch Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Glitchland
    Does This Game Have A Story Mode ??????

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The person on for the first couple of laps of the first track demoed did not seem very good at the game, else the controls are not looking that tight. I would ponder if they held back but the bitty nature (move, move a bit more as opposed to smooth, their hitting obstacles they should not have, their missing pickups...) of their movements speaks to something else.

Other than that looks like some nicely designed tracks and weapons that make things fun.

I have long held that Mario Kart is a poor example of the gameplay style and the way to a good game like that is not to clone mario kart (which every dev trying their hand seems to want to do) but go from the ground up and make such a game. Obviously it needs to be played first but I could see this being the first contender in quite some time.

12. KyleHyde

KyleHyde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    Yes, it does. That's one of the main selling points of the game.

SwitchGlitch likes this.
  13. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    thanks you i appreciate the response definitely gotta check them videos out.

osaka35 likes this.
  14. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    The controllers for this one do look loke they might be a little slippy, but if I remember correctly, Poley has one of the higher handling stats in the game, so it might just be the player not being used to that character.

Id need to see the game played with a lower handling character like Crash or Tiny to see for sure.

osaka35 likes this.
  15. RazorStrike

RazorStrike Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2016
    Brazil
    I love the battle mode of CTR, is very fun and the races are good too. I hope it comes to PC too.

16. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    I don't usually get hyped for games, but
    I'M SO FUCKING HYPED FOR THIS.

I played this game countless hours as a kid and recently had a go at it, still as good as I remember.

17. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    oh snap i thought this was going be released in the fall... i can't wait for it... i hope it has online...

18. EmperorX

EmperorX GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2012
    Lebanon
    Yes it has online multiplayer.

DJPlace likes this.
  19. bjaxx87

bjaxx87 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 17, 2011
    Germany
    I never cared for Crash and completely missed Crash Team Racing back in the day. But after reading this 20 year old review and all those comparisons to Diddy Kong Racing, I'm actually hyped! I really need to check out both the PSX version and remake. I'm a sucker for kart racing games with story mode, hub world, boss battles and generally more depth than "win the cups". I was so disappointed that even Rare's Mickey's Speedway USA didn't meet those standards - and yeah the DKR remake for NDS was a real travesty trying way too hard to make use of the NDS features. The only good thing it brought was online play (theoretically - I never found an opponent).

A little recommendation, even though it's no kart racer: Snowboard Kids 2 on N64
    It's a fun snowboard racing game with story mode and boss battles.

20. SwitchGlitch

SwitchGlitch Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Glitchland
    Tnx for anwsering my question thats what i wanna know bequase i played the original story mode and i cant find nothing on the internet about a story mode in de remaster hd version thats why i askt it you know