Crash Bandicoot 4 is getting a demo, but only for those who pre-order the game digitally

Crash Bandicoot 4 is getting a demo, starting today, but it will only be available for certain individuals. Activision is offering a demo that contains three levels and two playable characters, though you can only access the demo if you pre-order the game digitally on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. The demo's levels include Dino Dash, Snow Way Out, and a level where you get to play as Cortex, in his own variation of Snow Way Out. If you can't get your hands on the demo, you'll be able to play the game, when it launches next month, on October 2nd.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is a PS4 game, of course it will get pirated, even if you won't be able to play it in a hacked PS4 until they find out a new workaround. Because the game will most likely require the latest firmware update.

Activision can suck it, doing this is a dumb move

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

Yeah, finally some paid demos, exactly what everyone was asking for.
Because you know, you wouldn't want people to try your game before they buy it, right ?
Paid demos were a thing on the PlayStation, Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 days (not a lot know they made demo discs for 360/PS3).

The plus side of the demo discs is that the demos were available in physical format so they could be preserved without too much hassle.

D

Deleted User

not new, it's just most companies will call it beta access even tho it's so close to release that any feedback gained is pretty much useless, and demo is the morre accuate word

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never played a demo I normally look at gameplay from youtube.

Demos piss me off if the game is really good I'll hate that I won't be able to play it until it officially releases. On the other hand I wish Windbound came with a demo that game was pretty bad

D

Deleted User

I never played a demo I normally look at gameplay from youtube.

Demos piss me off if the game is really good I'll hate that I won't be able to play it until it officially releases. On the other hand I wish Windbound came with a demo that game was pretty bad
You're missing out. Some demos are drastically different from the final game so sometimes you end up playing the better, shorter version of a game.

For example, SONIC 06 Demo to me is far better than the retail game.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Activision: Well we had to **** it up somehow.

You're missing out. Some demos are drastically different from the final game so sometimes you end up playing the better, shorter version of a game.

For example, SONIC 06 Demo to me is far better than the retail game.

This happened with me, I knew people online said it was bad but I didn't think it would be THAT BAD based on the demo.

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snot how demos work come on man...(yeah I said snot)
If you need the money, don't make a demo of the game, just force people into buying it.
That's how it works in my head.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Not a surprise. They just pulled the same crap with Tony Hawk. With that, I caved. With this, I won't.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Paid demos were a thing on the PlayStation, Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 days (not a lot know they made demo discs for 360/PS3).

The plus side of the demo discs is that the demos were available in physical format so they could be preserved without too much hassle.
Most of those were "free*" and just included with something else, such as another game or a magazine which was sold at its normal MSRP regardless. Wouldn't compare that to having to buy the whole game itself before demoing it. Not even in the same ballpark, imo.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What the hell. That's literally against the definition and purpose of a demo.

Seriously, it seems user rights on the gaming market only go downhill.

In the UK demo disks for PS1 were literally for sale at ten pounds each, but at least the disks had several demons on them and they later added magazines to the disks.

Or something like that, my memory is terrible.

Reactions: Ev1lbl0w

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
In the UK demo disks for PS1 were literally for sale at ten pounds each, but at least the disks had several demons on them and they later added magazines to the disks.

Or something like that, my memory is terrible.
as far as I recall the PS1 demos were always included with the official playstation magazine and typically had about 3-6 demos, a few trailers on them and I seem to remember some of them including game saves you would be able to install to your memory card that would unlock all levels or have full inventories etc on games, pretty sure they were about a fiver, dont think I ever saw a ps1 demo you had to buy, short of the demo disks for another title by the same developer/publisher they would sometimes bundle with games i.e FF8 demo with FF7

I doubt developers received a penny for making demos for the PS1 official demo's, I wouldn't be surprised to find some devs made contributions to the magazine staff to get a place on those disks as demo's used to be a way to attract new customers who wouldn't otherwise buy them game unless they had a chance to demo it, I guess in that regard YT lets plays and video reviews have kind of defeated the reason to bother making demo's, if you wanna see a game you just just basically watch the whole thing online anyway

Last edited by gamesquest1,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
as far as I recall the PS1 demos were always included with the official playstation magazine and typically had about 3-6 demos, a few trailers on them and I seem to remember some of them including game saves you would be able to install to your memory card that would unlock all levels or have full inventories etc on games, pretty sure they were about a fiver, dont think I ever saw a ps1 demo you had to buy, short of the demo disks for another title by the same developer/publisher they would sometimes bundle with games i.e FF8 demo with FF7
This is how I remember it as well. I really miss the PlayStation Underground demos and had a nice collection of them growing up. Not sure how it worked elsewhere, but if they were straight up sold alone I don't condone that either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"