Crash Bandicoot 4 is getting a demo, but only for those who pre-order the game digitally

Crash Bandicoot 4 is getting a demo, starting today, but it will only be available for certain individuals. Activision is offering a demo that contains three levels and two playable characters, though you can only access the demo if you pre-order the game digitally on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. The demo's levels include Dino Dash, Snow Way Out, and a level where you get to play as Cortex, in his own variation of Snow Way Out. If you can't get your hands on the demo, you'll be able to play the game, when it launches next month, on October 2nd.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
as far as I recall the PS1 demos were always included with the official playstation magazine and typically had about 3-6 demos, a few trailers on them and I seem to remember some of them including game saves you would be able to install to your memory card that would unlock all levels or have full inventories etc on games, pretty sure they were about a fiver, dont think I ever saw a ps1 demo you had to buy, short of the demo disks for another title by the same developer/publisher they would sometimes bundle with games i.e FF8 demo with FF7

I doubt developers received a penny for making demos for the PS1 official demo's, I wouldn't be surprised to find some devs made contributions to the magazine staff to get a place on those disks as demo's used to be a way to attract new customers who wouldn't otherwise buy them game unless they had a chance to demo it, I guess in that regard YT lets plays and video reviews have kind of defeated the reason to bother making demo's, if you wanna see a game you just just basically watch the whole thing online anyway

Demos still exist, the Playstacion store is full of them and they are free... save for this stupid Crash demo.

Playing the demo is still the closest you get to playing the real game without buying it.

Beta versions of games also act as kind of demos nowadays.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, finally some paid demos, exactly what everyone was asking for.
Because you know, you wouldn't want people to try your game before they buy it, right ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So to get access to the demo, something only useful for undecided buyers*, you need to be so confident in the game that you pay for it in advance? In what world does THAT make any sense?

*And the very impatient, I suppose.

In an illogical world. Almost like what the guy becomes at the end of this bruh movie:

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Paid demos were a thing on the PlayStation, Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 days (not a lot know they made demo discs for 360/PS3).

The plus side of the demo discs is that the demos were available in physical format so they could be preserved without too much hassle.
Yeah I know about demo discs, they were cheap and you weren't basically forced to buy the final product so even if you had to pay some bucks for a CD, it was fine and way less shit than this kind of stuff

Man, it's too bad you can't cancel your pre-order if you didn't like the demo... Oh... Wait...
Oh yeah great, now I just have to cancel my 80 euros preorder in order to play a demo, clearly not a hassle.
Too bad you just can't play the demo if you are not keen on paying 80 bucks a game you are not sure you want to buy

Last edited by LightBeam,
D

Deleted User

they need a new name for these. Early access hype gameplay or something.
Calling them demos is dirty when you have to pay for it....and not only that, for a specific copy (digital)
yeah, most companies ussually called them beta access, even tho it's more of a prerelease version

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know why they do it (demos ultimately lower sales) but I do agree it is not great on the consumer front. I can only hope people still have friends and go play it round someone else's to decide.

I reckon more things should be like the demo/minigame/prequel thing that Dead Rising 2 got where it was an entirely separate location, story, slightly pared back mechanics but ultimately enough of something that it was more than enough to whet your whistle as it were, and also gave a nice bonus when starting the game. They even got away with charging for that one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a