Crap with soldering but want to mod my wii - whats my best option?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by loz_the_guru, Apr 22, 2008.

1. loz_the_guru
    OP

Newcomer loz_the_guru Member

United Kingdom
    Ive got a launch wii which ive wanted to get modded for some time now, but have always been scared because ive really never soldered before. Ive been having a dig around the forums of late and stumbled across the wilp (?) and the wii-clip, and have a few questions.

1. Ive been having a look at the wii clip site and noticed that alongside the 5 different versions theres also pin clip, key clip, open clip and free clip. what are these and are they easy to use?

2. Which would I be better going for, the wilp or the wii clip? Can anyone recommend an order site for either (im in the uk, cheap as possible).

3. Which chip would i be best using? I bought my wii january 2007 so im 99% sure it wont be D2C.

4. is now a good time to mod, or are there developments around the corner which mean id be better off waiting?

Thanks

Loz

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I think that if you have no experience, don't start practicing on your Wii.

Get someone else to do it -- Since you have a launch console, getting it modded will be inexpensive.

I've got modding experience yet I got someone else to do my Wii (when I had it) because it was simply too hard to come across to risk destroying it.

3. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    1. They clip over a chip inside the wii instead of soldering
    2. Wii Clip IMO.
    3. Key Clip it can use Wiikey's firmware
    4. Good time.

4. duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer duncans_pumpkin Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    normally i would agree with you hack chill but i was surprised with just how easy it was to install a chip.I do have a bit of a experience in soldering though. I bought a yoasm v3 with wires presoldered for a massive £5. Just tap tap tap tap tap with the iron and all was done. Id say now was a good time for modding as custom firmware is still a long shot and is very unlickly to enable dvd readability from 'backed' up discs.

5. loz_the_guru
    OP

United Kingdom
    cheers guys, the key clip does seem like a pretty safe option, does anyone know if the wiikey is playing SS:BB yet?

Also, cant seem to find one for sale anywhere. Anyone?

6. drock360

Member drock360 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes, I have a key clip and it is very easy to use. Just get the Wiikey autoprogrammer from WesTek and it just clip it on the board. I got mine from IC2005.com and it was only $40.00 for the key clip and the programmer. They had free shipping and it came very fast. Wiikeys can play Brawl now too.

7. loz_the_guru
    OP

United Kingdom
    yep definitely going for one of these now, ic2005.com doesnt seem to have it so i guess theyre out of stock [​IMG]. Anyone even the slightest clue as to when theyll get it back in?

8. PigVenus

Member PigVenus GBAtemp Regular

Sri Lanka
    Soldering isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Just practice a little first. I went from zero experience to successfully modding 2 systems on the first try with a mere 20 minutes of practice.

Tips:
    (1) Practice on an old piece of electronics that have components of about the same size (I had some old CD-ROM drives)
    (2) Tin the tips of the wires
    (3) Use a magnifying glass station - I can't even begin to tell you how much this will help!
    (4) Keep some solder wick handy in case you mess up.
    (5) Get a low-power soldering iron (15W is best)

Soldering small electronics is actually easier in some ways as it only requires the briefest touch of the soldering iron.