Hacking Cracked hinge on DS Lite theory

fatfree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've posted this on the Nintendo forum, but I'll post it here since many of us aren't on there.

Now that we are aware that many people have had the cracked hinge on their DS Lite, I may have a really good theory about this.
The crack results from closing the DS Lite from an open, "LOCKED" position.
When the DS Lite is locked open, it requires some amount of force (torque) to break it loose from locked position. That force may not feel much since you are closing it from the farther end of the lid, but the amount force at the hinge is great.
Since the plastic there is too weak for that kind of force, it cracks when trying to get it out of locked position.
It shouldn't crack upon opening, because it doesn't lock in the closed position.
It also seems that it's possible this happens after amounts of time of closing.

NOTE: The hinge having the locks (clicks you hear), is ONLY on one side. The other side does not have the locking hinge, that means great amount of force is required on ONE hinge to keep it locked open.
You can see the locking mechanism only on one side of this disassembled DS Lite:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/fatfree69/photo1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/fatfree69/photo2.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/fatfree69/photo3.jpg

Here is a picture to illustrate what I'm trying to say (rought idea of the hinge):
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/fatfree69/hinge.gif

Also, the hinge doesn't have to be made like that for the crack to occur upon closing. The hinge could be a different type, but the resistance of the locked position is the same, so the crack will always occur on the outter side since thats the side we are putting force to close it.

If the locking hinge was on the otherside as well, then the amount of force for each hinge is divided in half since the locking force isn't relied only on one anymore, but two hinges, which will lower the chances of cracking.

BTW: I initiated this thought because "Unknownbeast" had started this theory on the other thread, and would like to expand the idea more here.

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
that's a good theory and probably the correct one. As of now I'm been very careful when opening and clsoing my DS Lite I used to swing it open and snap it shut but now I do it steady to try and avoid the hinge breaking

fatfree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How does it "lock" in the first place? Also, what's the solution for this? Will we have to always close the lid gently?

When you hear it "click", that's when it locks. It locks by having a spring, or some sort of spring ball locking in a dimple.
I'm not sure if closing it gently will prevent this issue. But the "real" solution is for the manufactuers to replace the casing with either a tougher plastic, or possibly more flexble plastic. Sometimes it's not too good to use plastic that is too hard as if it just flexes a little, it will crack. But if they use a softer material, it lets things flex a bit, and lessens the chances of cracks due to small stresses.

UnknownBeast

Trophies
XP
Country
So, you're saying that almost all DS Lite will crack eventually? Or just some DS Lites that was unluckly and got lower quality plastic?

Someone should sue Nintendo of using selling products using weak plastic or something
laugh.gif
j/k

P.S. May I copy and paste you're post on another forum so that they will know? I'll credit you of course, but I'll link it to the Official Nintendo Forum.

fatfree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that eventually all will crack if all the DS Lites were build the same. Now for the color, I'm not sure if same plastics are used. I know that since they use different colored plastics, each may have different charateristics since it's not just the dye they use to obtain that color, there's also some plastics that natually, or more easily obtain a specific color so the quality there may also be different between colored DS Lites.

So far, it seems that it's all whites for now. Maybe not enough people with other colors are around yet to hit the forum to read this, and reply.

I think that each time we try to close from a locked position, it weakens that point, and eventually cracks.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can confirm that mine has cracked and haven't been the least bit rough with it. No biggie though, I'll exercise my 1 year store warranty just before it wears out. If I care then.

Another casualty.

UnknownBeast

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that each time we try to close from a locked position, it weakens that point, and eventually cracks.

That's bad, very bad...
frown.gif

Oh well, people said to use epoxy glue if this happens, I'll try that when/if mine cracks. (I hope it wouldn't though
frown.gif
, this thing is expensive and I have no warranty since I Nintendo doesn't market in my country. Another
frown.gif
)

fatfree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, you're saying that almost all DS Lite will crack eventually? Or just some DS Lites that was unluckly and got lower quality plastic?

Someone should sue Nintendo of using selling products using weak plastic or somethingÂ
laugh.gif
 j/k

P.S. May I copy and paste you're post on another forum so that they will know? I'll credit you of course, but I'll link it to the Official Nintendo Forum.

Oh, I have started it on the official Nintendo Forum already. But no offense to any of you here that is on there, but it seems that alot of them are kids over there, and they just easily trash threads, piling up nonsense posts. But anyways, I have a thread there also:
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...sage.id=2475180

But anyone, feel free to copy and paste this thread on other forums, I just want the word to spread. I don't mind if not crediting me, but make sure UnknownBeast is credited because I wouldn't have thought about it until he mentioned it. Thanks.

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had mine since it came out in Japan in April and I have no cracks. I just opened and closed it 100 times just to test to see if it would crack. But no crack, do you know if anyone with a Japanese DS Lite has had any problems. Maybe the first run of them used a better quality plastic.

UnknownBeast

Trophies
XP
Country

Someone should sue Nintendo of using selling products using weak plastic or somethingÂ
laugh.gif
 j/k

Oh, I have started it on the official Nintendo Forum already. But no offense to any of you here that is on there, but it seems that alot of them are kids over there, and they just easily trash threads, piling up nonsense posts. But anyways, I have a thread there also:
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...sage.id=2475180

But anyone, feel free to copy and paste this thread on other forums, I just want the word to spread. I don't mind if not crediting me, but make sure UnknownBeast is credited because I wouldn't have thought about it until he mentioned it. Thanks.

So that's why you're picture looks similar to mine .
biggrin.gif
No need to credit me if you guys want to post anywhere else, credit yourself.
smile.gif

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hope it's only an issue with white DS Lites.

Not that I want yours to break but i have a black one. I actually prefer white to black but when I had a white from Japan the colour off my jeans rubbed onto it similar to how jeans rub off on white trainers when they get damp and getting it off was a pain

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not too sure about what people mean by the "lock" position when its open but i belive that it may be something like this...

"locked open" : _ _ (yeah iknow crappy but i hope you get it)
lower screen ^ ^upper screen

is that it? I hear a click when the screens get to aproxamaitely that position

But my ds never goes that far, it always ends up looking something like this

_ /
(not that extreme of a angle but just before i hear that click that everyons talking about)

I dont think the ds was made to open that far..

EDIT: HOLY CRAP
I just noticed my ds hinge cracked!!!
cry.gif
I think it was the over opening
cry.gif

fatfree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
not too sure about what people mean by the "lock" position when its open but i belive that it may be something like this...

"locked open" :Â Â _ _Â (yeah iknow crappy but i hope you get it)
          lower screen ^ ^upper screen

is that it? I hear a click when the screens get to aproxamaitely that position

But my ds never goes that far, it always ends up looking something like this

_ /
 (not that extreme of a angle but just before i hear that click that everyons talking about)

I dont think the ds was made to open that far..

EDIT: HOLY CRAP
I just noticed my ds hinge cracked!!!Â
cry.gif
 I think it was the over opening
cry.gif

Whoa, sorry to hear about your crack. I am curious too as if those cracks happen because of the 2nd click, which is _ _.

But I was actually referring to the __/ (first click at and angle). I just tested mine to the 2nd click, and it seemed dangerous. The amount of force to even get to the 2nd click was hard, and to get it out was hard too. So maybe it's possible that the cracks resulted from the 2nd click, which is wide open.

Mine hasn't cracked yet, but I have a feeling sooner or later it will.

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know that it would open that far. I've never had a reason to open it that far. I tried to open it the full way and it sounded bad it made a crunch sound but no crack. I think it may be that is the main reason for the crack it just shouldn't be opened that far.

fatfree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't even know that it would open that far. I've never had a reason to open it that far. I tried to open it the full way and it sounded bad it made a crunch sound but no crack. I think it may be that is the main reason for the crack it just shouldn't be opened that far.

I'm going to try to message each person that had the crack, and ask them if they have at least once open it that far. I have opened that far 3 times myself, and it didn't feel right either, but luckly no crack.... YET.

vinikun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I have both the japanese and the american DS Lite, and it seems this "locking" mechanism was a new feature to the american DSL. The japanese DSL has no such thing and in the 3-4 months I've had my japanese DSL I have seen no sign of cracking plastic.

Nintendo's added locking mechanism for the American DSL might have just backfired on them...

fatfree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I have both the japanese and the american DS Lite, and it seems this "locking" mechanism was a new feature to the american DSL. The japanese DSL has no such thing and in the 3-4 months I've had my japanese DSL I have seen no sign of cracking plastic.

Nintendo's added locking mechanism for the American DSL might have just backfired on them...

Wow, that is really interesting information!! So the Jap DSL doesn't even click? Does it have a position where it sets to, or does it just stay open to any position you want it to?

makkot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
i own a japanese dslite
and i never had in my hands an american one
but im sure that my jap lite make a clicky sound
when switching by the 120 and 180 degrees fixed positions...

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese DS Lite and it DOES lock into place in both of the positions mentioned above ( _ _ and _ / ) the _ / seems better than the _ _ one. The fully flat position makes a sicking crunch sound. So I never open it that far it's kinda uncomfortable to play that way anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.