Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We don't have little self controlled, or indeed self replicating, nanobots. If we did the world would be a lot different -- ageing probably gone, most disease gone, injury... you could probably survive head being cut off, most objects would barely need maintenance, all that nice pollution is just more fuel, you could put them down and they would go fetch all the materials right out of the ground you want with sunlight to power them and on and on and on.

Nanotech then is usually very small structures that bond with what it needs to make sure it gets delivered at the right location, or maybe collects at a given location to stem a bit of bleeding maybe (though even that is a ways out).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember seeing an article last night about some UV light machine made in Chicago that's apparently so strong it'll kill all the COVID in a room. Not sure if it's intended to be used on people, though.
UV sterilisation has happened for years and years and years. Not sure what might make this one any more special than others, and "in the room" works as long as the light can get there and UV struggles to go around corners and through things just like visible light in most cases.

Unless you want to give everybody serious sunburn though (and possibly some exposure to ozone) it will not do much, even less if they have already got it in their system.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UV sterilisation has happened for years and years and years. Not sure what might make this one any more special than others, and "in the room" works as long as the light can get there and UV struggles to go around corners and through things just like visible light in most cases.

Unless you want to give everybody serious sunburn though (and possibly some exposure to ozone) it will not do much, even less if they have already got it in their system.

This was something I saw in more local news. It's only been put in, like, 5-7 hospitals in Chicago from what I remember.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This was something I saw in more local news. It's only been put in, like, 5-7 hospitals in Chicago from what I remember.
In that case hospital rooms are usually built to be cleaned (with people routinely spewing all manner of unpleasant bodily liquids around the place the whole shag pile thing was called off early on).
As hospital acquired infections are a bad look at the best of times and a full deep clean by scrubbing with chemicals takes ages (not good if you are short of beds) this is probably just some tech to help speed things up or provide some ease of mind.

UV is unpleasant stuff (if you ever left some plastic outside over the summer and had it basically rot in your hands then yeah) and about as useful for human internal treatment as fire.
Or if you prefer most diseases are easy to kill, absolutely trivial, can be done by those with no training and household items. Doing it while keeping the host alive... that is a different trick entirely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: What