i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who watches old movies/clips and thinks "where are the masks?"

It's weird, but in many ways masks have become the new normal in my head - and I'm starting to apply it broadly

So just me or have you guys noticed this too?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Here is a Scary Thought...

Looking Back and saying I cant believe we used to not wear Masks.
I mean, I literally do that. But like, I've always wanted a reason to wear a mask in public and I am super happy that it's my normal now.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I literally do that. But like, I've always wanted a reason to wear a mask in public and I am super happy that it's my normal now.
It's nice not having to shave, plus no one can tell when I got a pimple! ;D

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For me, it's nice not having people know what my gender is under the mask and as a result, I get gendered correctly/close enough to correct more often. Plus, I already had a collection of super cute masks from working at Amazon and needing them when working on a truck. So this has been a total win for me and I didn't have to retire my masks after leaving Amazon. The femboy in me wanted masks and fucking got it! I might be the one person who's actually been having a good time this year.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Masks have done a pretty good job of permanently smooshing my beard one way or another. I have to keep it trimmed now or else it just looks awful.

I mean it looks awful regardless. But I look awful without it. I guess I just look awful period. Oh well.

Edit:

For me, it's nice not having people know what my gender is under the mask and as a result, I get gendered correctly/close enough to correct more often.

Huh, I don't know if I've ever considered that consequence of the masks. I'm really happy to hear that it's working in a positive way for you! :)

Edit 2 - consequence? Side effect? Characteristic? I feel like I'm having a hard time finding the right word there lol. Fuck it, as long as it's working out well that's all that matters.

Last edited by Sicklyboy,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Huh, I don't know if I've ever considered that consequence of the masks. I'm really happy to hear that it's working in a positive way for you! :)

Edit 2 - consequence? Side effect? Characteristic? I feel like I'm having a hard time finding the right word there lol. Fuck it, as long as it's working out well that's all that matters.
I think I know more trans/enby folk who have been thrilled with masks becoming the new normal compared to the few who aren't so thrilled. It's become something our community is pretty happy about. This is partly why I am even more eager to share pictures of myself because 1, I am adorable and 2, because I love showing off my masks.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Am I the only one who watches old movies/clips and thinks "where are the masks?"

It's weird, but in many ways masks have become the new normal in my head - and I'm starting to apply it broadly

So just me or have you guys noticed this too?

Everytime when we watch an older Entertaining Show (like Britains or Germany got Talent) where People are not wearing Masks,my Wife says "Strange......"

Everytime when we watch an newer Entertaining Show (like Britains or Germany got Talent) where People are wearing Masks,I say "Strange......"

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I was impressed that TV shows now have people wearing masks. I wonder when it will hit movies.
The new "Mission Impossible" Movie for sure...:rofl2:

bild753632-1000x562.jpg

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not for me, no. Look, I get people are getting used to wearing masks, and why we "must do so," but perhaps its the fact that I've been homebound for most of the year thanks to everything closing down mixed in with my being in debt even right now (though I should be done by the beginning of next month, hopefully), but I in no way find wearing masks to be a normal of any kind.

I mean, imagine kids, especially with some form of autism disorder, growing up in this pandemic. All they'd be able to have to learn non-verbal interaction in public is one's eyes, and people's facial expressions communicate a lot of things that eyes alone just can't. I'm on the more Aspergian side of the spectrum (even if the DSM-5 refuses to acknowledge the differences between it and regular autism), and I try to be as conscious as I can of what other people are saying nonverbally.

But even beyond that, relationships are just getting destroyed by everything that's been happening, and I'm not just talking about because people can't pay the bills due to them losing their jobs. That's bad enough already. But now, we have some people who want to take the following scene and make it into reality:

Even in a day of Facebook Messenger, Zoom, Skype (does that even exist alongside Zoom nowadays?), Snapchat, etc., if one wants to be in a relationship where, sooner or later, two people want to get physical, now that's demonized. I remember an article earlier this year during the first lockdown where they were actively promoting people to masturbate as opposed to trying to do something with another person. I'm not saying masturbation is good or bad, but the fact that you have people promoting doing stuff by yourself, and just saying to be afraid of being around other people is not how us humans are wired to interact with each other. Yes, there's always going to be introverts, I get that, but even introverts (which I would describe myself as being IRL thanks to my upbringing for the most part) will want interaction of some kind, or why would they be throwing money at camgirls on OnlyFans?

At the end of the day, I personally think this pandemic, the lockdowns because of said pandemic, and the things people are trying to normalize will only serve to highlight how people actually are. You had people who, when the lockdown measures from the first were lightened, if not outright removed, who realized just how taken for granted their previous lives were. And it's not like I don't understand why people are afraid to get others infected. As someone who just learned of a cousin who's in the hospital because of this virus, I don't know why you have some people who will go and say that it's straight up fake! I can understand the paranoid fear of a government using a crisis to do things that they wanted to do but normally couldn't, and that's definitely been something this whole crisis has highlighted for sure. But this is a situation where we'll have to get through it as a society somehow, and hopefully, when everything is back to normal (as in, normal, and not "new normal"), we can and be ourselves again.

Soulsilve2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly very sick of it all, can't even leave my house for anything without having to grab one first because pretty much everywhere is mandatory in my town.The only saving grace is that it keep my lips from chapping in the cold.I'm really looking forward to the day we finally get a working vaccine or cure so I can live relaxed again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: