• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
latest
Ya picture broke, you can actually upload pictures directly to your post by using the "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply"

Reactions: LostRabbit

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for your hint. Well, i was actually trying to be funny, sorry bout that^^

Thats Alan Harper (two and a half men), who IS a chiropractor. He usually tells everyone that he was "a doctor!!" :D
Ohh~ that makes sense now, lol. Also, I am always up for helping people out ^-^

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: LostRabbit

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't be disingenuous and assume getting the vaccine is the default option when choosing whether or not to get the vaccine. Quote the CDC please. What you are saying is literal propaganda.
I'm simply unconvinced that the odds of a serious case of covid are high enough to warrant another potential risk factor in the vaccine.
Regardless of your age group, health, etc., the risk of contracting COVID-19 and experiencing severe symptoms is far higher than the risk of any severe side effects associated with the vaccines. You're also significantly more likely to spread the disease to other people who are more likely to die from the disease if you are unvaccinated. This isn't complicated.

If you want to make it complicated, here:
  1. On average, a person has a 1 in 100 chance of dying if they contract COVID-19.
  2. A person has a roughly 1 in 332 million chance of dying from a COVID-19 vaccination in the USA (it's probably less than that, given the current J&J clot mitigations, etc.)
  3. That means a person is literally 3,320,000 times more likely to die from COVID-19 unvaccinated than they are likely to die from the vaccine.
  4. Even if you're under 35 and healthy (with a 1 in 25,000 chance of dying from the disease), you're 13,280 times more likely to die from the virus than from the vaccination.
These numbers are only about deaths, and they don't even include odds of experiencing severe symptoms from the disease or odds of spreading the disease.

Follow the CDC recommendations and get vaccinated if you can. It's in your best interest, it's in the best interest of those around you, and you have a moral imperative to do so. Not getting vaccinated is as selfish as it is stupid, and I say that because getting vaccinated is actually the selfish thing to do as well as the selfless thing to do. It's a win-win.

Reactions: The Catboy

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
you have a moral imperative to do so. Not getting vaccinated is as selfish as it is stupid

More propaganda. False dilemma.

Why don't you admit that you are trying to sell the vaccine because your frail and fearful existence is entrapped by it?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More propaganda. False dilemma.

Why don't you admit that you are trying to sell the vaccine because your frail and fearful existence is entrapped by it?
Nothing I said about the vaccines is untrue. It isn't a false dilemma, and it isn't propaganda. If you willfully choose not to get the vaccine by ignoring the science, ignoring the medical professionals, and ignoring the facts, then you are putting yourself and the people around at a significantly increased risk for COVID-19 and serious symptoms. I am sorry if that's inconvenient for you.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nothing I said about the vaccines is untrue. It isn't a false dilemma, and it isn't propaganda. If you willfully choose not to get the vaccine by ignoring the science, ignoring the medical professionals, and ignoring the facts, then you are putting yourself and the people around at a significantly increased risk for COVID-19 and serious symptoms. I am sorry if that's inconvenient for you.

I've already listed the points that you have misconstrued surveys to imply false statistics on multiple fronts. I have pointed out that your claims that "all evidence shows the vaccine to be safe" is plainly false. Nobody is ignoring anybody/anything here, with the exception of you ignoring the points where you were plainly pointed to being wrong; perpetuating false facts.

You saying choose the vaccine or you are choosing to put everybody at risk is textbook case of false dilemma.

Shut up Lacius.

This whole,"if you disagree with Lacius, you are ignoring science" thing is absurd.

I am sorry if that's inconvenient for you.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already listed the points that you have misconstrued surveys to imply false statistics on multiple fronts. I have pointed out that your claims that "all evidence shows the vaccine to be safe" is plainly false. Nobody is ignoring anybody/anything here, with the exception of you ignoring the points where you were plainly pointed to being wrong; perpetuating false facts.

You saying choose the vaccine or you are choosing to put everybody at risk is textbook case of false dilemma.

Shut up Lacius.

This whole,"if you disagree with Lacius, you are ignoring science" thing is absurd.
I haven't misconstrued anything. You don't get to make up your own facts.

I never said, "If you disagree with me, you are ignoring science." I acknowledged, demonstrably, that you're ignoring the science.

The vaccine has been demonstrated to be safe and effective. If you don't get it, you are putting yourself and others at risk. Those are facts. If you want to argue otherwise, provide evidence.

Last edited by Lacius,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I haven't misconstrued anything. You don't get to make up your own facts.

You have. What "facts" have I made up?

Brief list of things you have misconstrued:

AMA study (it's a PDF): https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/2021-06/physician-vaccination-study-topline-report.pdf
96% of doctors have been vaccinated and recommend getting vaccinated.

Specific demographic--likely coerced, and excludes the rest of reality, no recommendation.

Then we have you disregarding survey results based on political affiliation. ("Science"!)

Then we have you saying that safe doesn't mean 100% safe. (Introduce arbitrary metrics). Ignore the side effects and call it safe.

Then we have you assuming that someone not getting the vaccine (not investing) as being negatively impacted. "Come'on man". You were negatively affected by not investing in bitcoin.

Then you want to push this "you have 1 in 100 chance of dying" narrative that literally doesn't apply to anybody who has posted here.

I never said, "If you disagree with me, you are ignoring science." I acknowledged, demonstrably, that you're ignoring the science.

You are saying it every time when someone disagrees with you and you say they are ignoring science. It's a low effort, unsubstantiated, quip.

The vaccine has been demonstrated to be safe and effective. If you don't get it, you are putting yourself and others at risk. Those are facts. If you want to argue otherwise, provide evidence.

Wrong. False dilemma--classic propaganda. (Japan)

Last edited by tabzer,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have. What "facts" have I made up?

Brief list of things you have misconstrued:

Specific demographic--likely coerced, and excludes the rest of reality, no recommendation.

Then we have you disregarding survey results based on political affiliation. ("Science"!)

Then we have you saying that safe doesn't mean 100% safe. (Introduce arbitrary metrics). Ignore the side effects and call it safe.

Then we have you assuming that someone not getting the vaccine (not investing) as being negatively impacted. "Come'on man". You were negatively affected by not investing in bitcoin.

Then you want to push this "you have 1 in 100 chance of dying" narrative that literally doesn't apply to anybody who has posted here.

You are saying it every time when someone disagrees with you and you say they are ignoring science. It's a low effort, unsubstantiated, quip.

Wrong. False dilemma--classic propaganda.
The claim that the doctor survey that showed 96% of doctors getting and recommending the vaccine was likely "coerced" is a made-up fact. I didn't have to go far at all to find this.

The vaccine has been demonstrated to be safe and effective. If you don't get vaccinated, you are putting yourself and the people around you at risk.

The 1 in 100 chance of dying from COVID-19 is accurate, and I've acknowledged those odds vary when you break it down by age. In fact, the last time I brought up those odds, I also used the odds of dying if you're under 35.

The fact that I've sometimes responded to people disagreeing with me in this thread by saying they're denying science does not mean I'm arguing a disagreement with me is automatically a denial of science. It means, in that specific example where I said it, they are denying science. If a person denies the vaccine is safe, effective, and recommended, that person is demonstrably denying science. If a person denies that not getting vaccinated puts that person and the people around them at a significantly increased risk of infection, sickness, and/or death, that person is demonstrably denying science. This is not a false dilemma. A false dilemma requires there are more than two options, or more options than are presented, but the only two options are "get vaccinated" and "don't get vaccinated." Oof.

Last edited by Lacius,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The claim that the doctor survey that showed 96% of doctors getting and recommending the vaccine was likely "coerced" is a made-up fact. I didn't have to go far at all to find this.

The vaccine has been demonstrated to be safe and effective. If you don't get vaccinated, you are putting yourself and the people around you at risk.

The 1 in 100 chance of dying from COVID-19 is accurate, and I've acknowledged those odds vary when you break it down by age. In fact, the last time I brought up those odds, I also used the odds of dying if you're under 35.

The fact that I've sometimes responded to people disagreeing with me in this thread by saying they're denying science does not mean I'm arguing a disagreement with me is automatically a denial of science. It means, in that specific example where I said it, they are denying science. If a person denies the vaccine is safe, effective, and recommended, that person is demonstrably denying science. If a person denies that not getting vaccinated puts that person and the people around them at a significantly increased risk of infection, sickness, and/or death, that person is demonstrably denying science. This is not a false dilemma. A false dilemma requires there are more than two options, or more options than are presented, but the only two options are "get vaccinated" and "don't get vaccinated." Oof.

Point out the "doctors recommend" part. It doesn't exist. Fake information.

Propaganda. Not only is it just propaganda, but you made the effort to ignore the point I made. That's deplorable. :(

The fact that I've sometimes responded to people disagreeing with me in this thread by saying they're denying science does not mean I'm arguing a disagreement with me is automatically a denial of science. It means, in that specific example where I said it,

It's a habit. In my case, I have not denied science in any part of our conversation, yet you still do it.

The vaccine being relatively safe and recommended by specific institutions is not something that I am denying.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother had gotten the vaccine and he recently just got covid. He works in restaurant business, so comes in contact with many different people daily. He’s better now and tested negative. Not sure which vaccine he had gotten though

Last edited by Tri-Z,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Point out the "doctors recommend" part. It doesn't exist. Fake information.

Propaganda. Not only is it just propaganda, but you made the effort to ignore the point I made. That's deplorable. :(

It's a habit. In my case, I have not denied science in any part of our conversation, yet you still do it.

The vaccine being relatively safe and recommended by specific institutions is not something that I am denying.
  1. Do you deny the vaccine is relatively safe? (It sounds like the answer is "yes," which is a step in the right direction).
  2. Do you deny that the risks of long-term effects associated with the COVID-19 vaccines are highly unlikely?
  3. Do you deny that the risks of long-term effects associated with COVID-19 are substantially higher than any long-term risks associated with the vaccines?
  4. Do you deny that the serious risks associated with COVID-19 vaccination are thousands to millions of times less likely, depending on your age, than the risks associated with not get vaccinated?
  5. Do you deny that the vaccine is effective?
  6. Do you deny that the vaccine is recommended by every reputable medical group?
  7. Do you deny that not getting vaccinated puts a person at a dramatically increased risk of COVID-19 infection and death vs. getting vaccinated?
  8. Do you deny that not getting vaccinated puts the people around you at a dramatically increased risk of COVID-19 infection and death vs. getting vaccinated?
  9. Do you deny that COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are increasing dramatically in places with low vaccination rates?
If your answer to a question doesn't at least include a yes or no, I probably won't read it. If your answer is "no" to any of these questions, you are objectively and demonstrably denying the science.

My brother had gotten the vaccine and he recently just got covid. He works in restaurant business, so comes in contact with many different people daily. He’s better now and tested negative. Not sure which vaccine he had gotten though
Contracting COVID-19 after being vaccinated is rare, but it does happen. The vaccines are not 100% effective. It could also be he contracted COVID-19 just before or after the shot, without the vaccine having had time to become fully effective yet.

The odds of contracting COVID-19 after being fully vaccinated increase if you're interacting with unvaccinated people regularly (teachers, restaurant workers, other essential workers, etc.). This is one of the many reasons why everyone who can get vaccinated should get vaccinated as soon as possible. Infections and deaths, while rare, have happened to people who are fully vaccinated, and they likely caught it from people who were unvaccinated. The more people who are vaccinated, the less likely any specific person will even be exposed to the virus.

There are people who cannot get vaccinated (young children and people with specific medical issues). That's another reason why it's important for everyone who can get vaccinated to get vaccinated: in order to protect those who can't.

Last edited by Lacius,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't it time for this cult mind control to be over? people, have you gotten it out of your system? Or still blindfolds on?

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
I would like to point out to everyone that most countries are currently only allowing people in with proof of vaccination and a COVID test on-site. The vaccine is an international thing, and I doubt other countries with definitely better governments have as many conspiracies as us. Look at New Zealand's COVID effort. They locked everyone in their house until they got over it.

Isn't it time for this cult mind control to be over? people, have you gotten it out of your system? Or still blindfolds on?
Shut up.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would like to point out to everyone that most countries are currently only allowing people in with proof of vaccination and a COVID test on-site. The vaccine is an international thing, and I doubt other countries with definitely better governments have as many conspiracies as us. Look at New Zealand's COVID effort. They locked everyone in their house until they got over it.

Shut up.
Trauma based mind control. Where the government positions itself as saviour.

Last edited by Chrisssj2,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?