• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My name is Dakitten, I am da kitten, and I support jab 1, 2, 10, and 20 if that's what it takes to eliminate a budding family of virus strains. This could have been just an outbreak, but now it's possibly the annual superflu. Thanks, antivaxxers, for your part in that.

On a side note, I've been murdered by work and no days off due to the recall election in California, but I actually had somebody point out a 5g transmitter one morning before ranting about how "when that thing turns on, all you stupid vaccinated sheep are gonna have a real bad time!"

I think nobody told these people they're already on...
One of the greatest blessing of the internet has been informing people of the world around them. This is greatest curse as well, as the internet has bred the misinformation that has convinced people that 5G is the cause of Covid/turns you into a woman/is mind control technology/turns the freaking frogs gay.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
One of the greatest blessing of the internet has been informing people of the world around them. This is greatest curse as well, as the internet has bred the misinformation that has convinced people that 5G is the cause of Covid/turns you into a woman/is mind control technology/turns the freaking frogs gay.
I don't remember any conspiracy regarding 5G turning frogs gay. That'd be chemicals we put in the water, which is technically correct - one of the commonly used ingredients in herbicide, atrazine, was found to work as an endocrine disruptor. It alters the physiology of male frogs to the point that their testosterone levels are below those of female specimens, disrupting their sexual development and effectively feminising them. The research regarding this chemical has been contested by the manufacturer of the herbicide (no surprise there), but as it stands, yes - we're putting chemicals in the water that turn the frogs gay. The more you know!

Reactions: Deleted User

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember any conspiracy regarding 5G turning frogs gay. That'd be chemicals we put in the water, which is technically correct - one of the commonly used ingredients in herbicide, atrazine, was found to work as an endocrine disruptor. It alters the physiology of male frogs to the point that their testosterone levels are below those of female specimens, disrupting their sexual development and effectively feminising them. The research regarding this chemical has been contested by the manufacturer of the herbicide (no surprise there), but as it stands, yes - we're putting chemicals in the water that turn the frogs gay. The more you know!

To be fair and balanced, mercury supposedly has been doing a similar thing to some bird populations, too... via unintentional pollution, like with the frogs. The meme of "turning the freaking frogs gay!" is a jab at Alex Jones, the defeathered king of the wackadoo birds, who believed it to be part of a pro gay agenda conspiracy and/or military testing of a feminizing chemical weapon. I'm almost certain you know this, but ffs, you had to really disassemble the joke so here we are...

Middle east gay bomb made after testing it out on frogs, by King Wackadoo

Reactions: IncredulousP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair and balanced, mercury supposedly has been doing a similar thing to some bird populations, too... via unintentional pollution, like with the frogs. The meme of "turning the freaking frogs gay!" is a jab at Alex Jones, the defeathered king of the wackadoo birds, who believed it to be part of a pro gay agenda conspiracy and/or military testing of a feminizing chemical weapon. I'm almost certain you know this, but ffs, you had to really disassemble the joke so here we are...

Middle east gay bomb made after testing it out on frogs, by King Wackadoo
That's the joke. Everybody knows that. Now that you've explained it though...

For the record, the "Gay Bomb" was at one point a proposed non-lethal chemical weapon which, in theory, would've turned enemy combatants gay, presumably to decrease combat effeciency. For real, there was even a three-page proposal in 1994 - thanks, Freedom of Information Act!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

Last edited by Foxi4,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not about the accuracy of the statement but the absurdity of the claims around 5G. Claiming 5G turns the freaking frogs gay is as absurd a claim as saying it makes you grow tits or is working vaccines for mind-control reasons. I can tell you for a fact that 5G doesn't make you grow boobs because I had boobs before getting a 5G phone and they haven't gotten any bigger.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not about the accuracy of the statement but the absurdity of the claims around 5G. Claiming 5G turns the freaking frogs gay is as absurd a claim as saying it makes you grow tits or is working vaccines for mind-control reasons. I can tell you for a fact that 5G doesn't make you grow boobs because I had boobs before getting a 5G phone and they haven't gotten any bigger.
That’s one subject I have nothing to say about since discussing privates on an Internet forum is crass. What I will say is that the argument of absurdity doesn’t apply to the U.S. Government which has sunk bushels of cash on research that was completely ridiculous or insane, including (but not limited to) trying to ignite the atmosphere just to see if they can.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That’s one subject I have nothing to say about since discussing privates on an Internet forum is crass. What I will say is that the argument of absurdity doesn’t apply to the U.S. Government which has sunk bushels of cash on research that was completely ridiculous or insane, including (but not limited to) trying to ignite the atmosphere just to see if they can.
Fair, still, the point was just that the conspiracies around 5G are silly.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jePYgxdwe_4oDy4GyxEuypNfg7FpEc1thMTQ1VM9qlU.jpg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is untrue. Ivermectin (the drug being referred to here) has been used in the treatment of malaria and other parasitic infections, it does not “sterilise” men, so I’m not sure why you’d post that other than to disinform or in jest. The drug is actively trialed for the purposes of malaria control.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)32613-8/fulltext

It has a temporary, slight effect on fertility that can be ameliorated with other drugs, and only when administered over extended periods of time (it affects the shape of sperm, among other things). Here’s one study, among many - in this case it was tested on male rats:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21783912/

Saying that it “sterilises 85%” of males who had it administered is just incorrect. With that being said, you shouldn’t be taking it for COVID-19 anyway because it’s a virus, not a parasite. Fertility is the last of your concerns here, ivermectin can induce coma or even cause death when a wrong dose is administered. You shouldn’t be self-medicating, ever, especially not with drugs that are not fit for purpose or not designed for human consumption.

EDIT: Just traced this claim back to its origin, an *extremely dubious* study from Nigeria. Moreover, it does not conclude that the drug “causes infertility in 85% of patients”, it specifically states that some sperm dysfunction was detected in the tested individuals which in turn may cause infertility for *some* patients, and advises further research. I couldn’t even find it when Googling for it, I had to trace back the tweet chain. About as trustworthy as a $2 pistol. Link for the curious:

https://www.scholarsresearchlibrary...tions-of-nigerian-onchocerciasis-patients.pdf

Last edited by Foxi4,

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is untrue. Ivermectin (the drug being referred to here) has been used in the treatment of malaria and other parasitic infections, it does not “sterilise” men, so I’m not sure why you’d post that other than to disinform or in jest. The drug is actively trialed for the purposes of malaria control.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)32613-8/fulltext

It has a temporary, slight effect on fertility that can be ameliorated with other drugs, and only when administered over extended periods of time (it affects the shape of sperm, among other things). Here’s one study, among many - in this case it was tested on male rats:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21783912/

Saying that it “sterilises 85%” of males who had it administered is just incorrect. With that being said, you shouldn’t be taking it for COVID-19 anyway because it’s a virus, not a parasite. Fertility is the last of your concerns here, ivermectin can induce coma or even cause death when a wrong dose is administered. You shouldn’t be self-medicating, ever, especially not with drugs that are not fit for purpose or not designed for human consumption.

EDIT: Just traced this claim back to its origin, an *extremely dubious* study from Nigeria. Moreover, it does not conclude that the drug “causes infertility in 85% of patients”, it specifically states that some sperm dysfunction was detected in the tested individuals which in turn may cause infertility for *some* patients, and advises further research. I couldn’t even find it when Googling for it, I had to trace back the tweet chain. About as trustworthy as a $2 pistol. Link for the curious:

https://www.scholarsresearchlibrary...tions-of-nigerian-onchocerciasis-patients.pdf

Yes, it was a joke, great job turning it into whatever.

Technically, it is killing males, making them sterile... I would go more with the joke, but you would probably write a college paper about it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes, it was a joke, great job turning it into whatever.

Technically, it is killing males, making them sterile... I would go more with the joke, but you would probably write a college paper about it.
well if they use the dosage on them... then the probability might be they get sterile. I mean it's for a horse!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I thought it was cute. Foxi just has to pee on anything he can to stay relevant. :rolleyes:
What is it with liberals and peeing on things? First the imaginary piss tapes, now I’m accused of giving golden showers. Do you guys want to tell us something? All I shower people with is wisdom, I’m afraid your preferences don’t resonate with me.

All jokes aside, if you follow the Tweet chain, this was originally “reported” in earnest, so no, it didn’t come across as a “joke”. It wasn’t originally intended as a “joke” and it was provided without context or commentary, so all I can go by are the tweets associated with this one.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You are correct. It does reduce sperm count though. :)

We observed significant reduction in the sperm counts and sperm motility of the patients tested. On the morphology there was significant increase in the number of abnormal sperm cells. This took the forms of two heads, double tails, white (albino) sperms and extraordinarily large heads. It is suspected that the above alterations in the already determined parameters of the patients’ sperm cells could only have occurred as a result of their treatment with ivermectin. However, we could not record any significant change or alteration in the sperm viscosity, sperm volume, and sperm liquefaction time of the patients. We therefore suggest that caution be seriously exercised in the treatment of male onchocerciasis patients with ivermectin to avoid the adverse effects it has on the patients’ sperm functions.
src: https://www.scholarsresearchlibrary...tions-of-nigerian-onchocerciasis-patients.pdf

From 2011, so not in response to the current uptake of people using it.

No baby for you! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ZpMdTnZkpRQ?si=Q2MI4UugoSYifY7G Neat