Homebrew Cover Collections - part 2

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also, a shameless plug for my post with optimized up-to-date versions of the cover artwork on this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/cover-collections-part-2.559649/post-9484466

Should I move my post out to it's own thread, or should I keep it buried within this one? I want people to be able to find it, but I don't want people to be confused by unnecessary forking
I'm extremely sorry, my friend! I completely forgot to fulfill the promise I made to you sometime ago, to replace my links with yours.
At the moment I'm no more active, being in an unfortunate real life situation, but changing some links is something I have no problems to do. I will do it now ;-)

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was really wondering if the links in the op were those newer ones already, but I did not check myself.
I'm downloading it right now.
Thank you Thank you

AdamCatalyst

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm extremely sorry, my friend! I completely forgot to fulfill the promise I made to you sometime ago, to replace my links with yours.
At the moment I'm no more active, being in an unfortunate real life situation, but changing some links is something I have no problems to do. I will do it now ;-)

You have *nothing* to apologize for. Absolutely nothing. :)

p.s. It looks like you made me co-author? Will happily keep those links up-to-date for you, if you want to direct anyone with changes etc. my way instead of dealing with them yourself. I can keep your seat warm for you here.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, I discovered this function to give other users the ability to edit my posts, in a similar way I entrusted RunningSnakes to manage the plugins pack. I'm not sure when I will be able to resume activity with my Wii projects, but I feel relieved to leave them in your capable hands!

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just another SNES preview update. All SNES covers are being redone, fixed, remastered, ect. ect. Here I got some new ones as well as some older ones that have been redone. Maximum Carnage, SF II, SF II Turbo, I used lost art work to redo the front covers and placed updated titles where they match on the retail covers. (I do this a lot), Added the remaining Bomberman titles, and redid Super Chase HQ. The others are all new. Speaking of new... I have only 200 titles left in the master game folder left to do. which means as of right now that I post this the numbers are:
Alt (new and used) - 195. New - 403. Updated - 617. Total Unique titles - 1,020. Grand total - 1,215.
So we're getting there as I'm working in the "Super" titles now. Until next time, stay safe.
SNES Preview 12.png

Last edited by ToddofWar420,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I'm working on a custom TG16 set of covers and when finished was hoping to do some GB, GBC, GBA. I've looked around for spines and backs but cannot find either. Besides emumovies & coverproject, is there any sites that have covers available? All three of these handhelds are sorely missing several I would like to include and make available here. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Reactions: Muliro

AdamCatalyst

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys. I'm working on a custom TG16 set of covers and when finished was hoping to do some GB, GBC, GBA. I've looked around for spines and backs but cannot find either. Besides emumovies & coverproject, is there any sites that have covers available? All three of these handhelds are sorely missing several I would like to include and make available here. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

I've found myself scouring many many places for original scans and assets. I haven't done many restorations for any of the systems you mention, I but will share the sites that I have found useful…

https://www.gamingalexandria.com/wp/scans/

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com

http://thecoverproject.net

https://www.gametdb.com (If you use this for GC/Wii games, chances are you have downloaded some of my work :)

https://www.mobygames.com

https://www.covercentury.com

The first three links have been by far the most useful for me. Outside of this, I've often had to go hunting cover by cover for additional assets. Sometimes I've found decent repros on places like Deviant Art as well. And sometimes I've had to re-create the cover from images of ads, or next to nothing at all. I'd love to hear where @ToddofWar420 find his sources!

cheers,

-Adam

p.s. I've done a few TG16 covers myself, just basically proper colour gradings of existing artwork. Will toss them your way later, in case they are of any use.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@AdamCatalyst

Thank you for the links. Didn't know of the gamesdb.launchbox site and it's exactly what I was looking for. Unreal how much is available there in great quality. Now I'll have to backtrack a few TG16 covers since a few I've completed are not exactly too pretty. Thanks again.

Reactions: AdamCatalyst

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first three links have been by far the most useful for me. Outside of this, I've often had to go hunting cover by cover for additional assets. Sometimes I've found decent repros on places like Deviant Art as well. And sometimes I've had to re-create the cover from images of ads, or next to nothing at all. I'd love to hear where @ToddofWar420 find his sources!
That's about what I do here with a few other sites not mentioned. I usually search the web first for all the best sources then rework them as fit then place them on the new SNES template. I've been using some pieces from ads, hq wallpapers, manual scans, labels, anything the community has to offer. There's also times I made covers from nothing and they would come out looking like a masterpiece, no lie. I also got to look in auction sites to get the right barcode number for some imported game as well as I imply them to each cover needed.
So far I got 1,328 SNES covers done in total. About 130 left to go.

AdamCatalyst

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's about what I do here with a few other sites not mentioned. I usually search the web first for all the best sources then rework them as fit then place them on the new SNES template. I've been using some pieces from ads, hq wallpapers, manual scans, labels, anything the community has to offer. There's also times I made covers from nothing and they would come out looking like a masterpiece, no lie. I also got to look in auction sites to get the right barcode number for some imported game as well as I imply them to each cover needed.
So far I got 1,328 SNES covers done in total. About 130 left to go.
Thanks for sharing this man! I can relate to all of this. :) I've also manually drawn bits of cover illustrations that I guarantee virtually no-one would be able to tell it wasn't original. I'm sure you've done that too. And yes, auction site images! And PDF manuals! And don't forget other versions of games… for instance, for some games you can find assets that were on a different/port version of the game that are a higher quality. Also, check out the software publishers. Sometimes they will re-post elements of old artwork for re-releases, etc.

Best of luck on your incredible journey :)

AdamCatalyst

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@AdamCatalyst

Thank you for the links. Didn't know of the gamesdb.launchbox site and it's exactly what I was looking for. Unreal how much is available there in great quality. Now I'll have to backtrack a few TG16 covers since a few I've completed are not exactly too pretty. Thanks again.

I've found that site very useful. And when you find an element you like, don't forget to do a reverse image search for it. Sometimes a better version is just sitting out there in some random place.

I've only done a few hundred covers, and the SNES were the most work I put in. I actually did them all twice, and here is what I learned… Start by collecting as many original scans as you possible can. No repros, all original. Then build out a template from those originals. Figure out what level of homogenization you want, vs, flexibility in the template. For my SNES template, I have the little graphics and dots that show up on the right side of the front in probably a couple dozen different pre-set combinations. It doesn't cover every cover perfectly, but it is close enough for me. Anyway, a good template makes everything else much easier, and helps you make decisions later. Sometimes you have no adjust your template, and may want to recursively apply those changes to previous done covers. For that reason, I recommend doing an initial collection and assessment before diving in.

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everybody! Here to drop yet another preview update for the upcoming SNES updated set. We have hacks, a Japan exclusive, prototypes, and a few updated covers. Timon & Pumbaa took awhile as I wanted everything on the back to stay uniformed with the rest of the covers. Utopia was a pain since it had a Jaleco logo running across the top, not to mention the big ass Gamepro rating box to which had to be removed. Universal Soldier was pieced together bit by bit. Overall, I'm happy with how they turned out. The rest was just made using various resources. Other then that, the set is near completion. Nearing 500 new covers with 1,170 unique game titles so far.
SNES Preview 13.png

Deleted member 547976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey everybody! Here to drop yet another preview update for the upcoming SNES updated set. We have hacks, a Japan exclusive, prototypes, and a few updated covers. Timon & Pumbaa took awhile as I wanted everything on the back to stay uniformed with the rest of the covers. Utopia was a pain since it had a Jaleco logo running across the top, not to mention the big ass Gamepro rating box to which had to be removed. Universal Soldier was pieced together bit by bit. Overall, I'm happy with how they turned out. The rest was just made using various resources. Other then that, the set is near completion. Nearing 500 new covers with 1,170 unique game titles so far.
View attachment 295326
Great, and are there covers for games like Captain Tsubasa III / IV / V? and various games of remakes Super mario, Zeld etc ..

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had some time to work on completing my TG16-PCE Hu Card set. I have 80 Japan covers to tackle but the USA set is complete only needing spine titles which will take some time. In total, I have 309 games that require covers but not totally positive of the official released. At any rate, I plan to release the set within the next 10-14 days.

@AdamCatalyst

I plan on uploading the set on this thread, would you prefer me host this set, or me sending the set to you so they can be obtained from the 1st page?

Reactions: Okko

AdamCatalyst

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@RunningSnakes Awesome! Congratulations on being so close to that goal. Must feel good!

Yes, please send me the set, I'll do a quick QA on the now homogenized naming syntax and compression efficiency, run it by you, and then update the first thread on this post. Please PM me to get my attention, I sometimes miss stuff in threads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi