Cousin is going to give me old DSL

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ~~Tito~~, May 20, 2009.

1. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Ok so my cousin has 2 black DSL's and he is going to give me the older one he has. Here are some of the things I know about it:
    • Bad cosmetic damage(not that bad but bad for me)
    • Top Screen turns white before it closes sometimes
    • Hing is messed up
    • buttons are worn
    • I am not sure, but the bottom LCD has stylus trails
    I know for sure that I am going to get another case, but where should I start first?
    Also, where can I get a good QUALITY replacement case, and for the LCD problem what could it be?

PS: The DSL works fine, these are just the problems it has

I have my original box and crap so no need for a charger, and since the DS will be mine I can just plop my sticker from the box onto the new case.

2. Kittymat

Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 16, 2008
    UK
    Replace the top screen, the ribbon is starting to go - hence the white screen
    Replace the touchscreen - easy repair, just be careful with the clip

Dealextreme.com is really cheap for the parts $13-15 for those 2 parts

3. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Basically, I would need this:Also adding the cost of the Acekard I will be getting, the total cost would be:
    Case: $22 (Around)
    Top Screen: $10.11
    Digitizer: $2.74
    Acekard 2.1: $19

= Around 53.85, so I need 60 bucks to get this thing fixed once he gives it to me.

Not that bad, I thought it would be worse. The only thing that is going to be a pain is soldering the speakers back on. . .and putting the case on.

4. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

GBAtemp Patron
    Frederica Bernkastel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 31, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hinamizawa
    I'd go with an official case, not a cheap one. They tend to be the best.

Also, if you want a free case with a full repair, go to ConsoleDoctor.co.uk
    its cheaper and less risky than attempting it yourself.

5. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Ahh, I should have looked into official cases. Hmmmmm, how long does the reassembly take, like an hour or 2?

I am not bad with the solder gun or following instructions as I repair(sometimes butcher XD) laptops and my dad's PDA's to get them to work. And by butcher I mean cosmetically because of frustration lol, but that only happened to the laptop he gave me(before it broke) since the screws were stripped and I had to cut around them to get them off.

6. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    I found a ebay store and it has a case and the hinge:

Hinge

Case

7. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    if you are using a solder gun then there is your problem! those things are for plumbing not electronics! you want a soldering pencil/iron, preferably not more than 25w (unless its temperature controlled)

as for the repair, once you have bought a replacement case, hinge, top screen, digitiser, and buttons, you may end up with a working unit, but its probably just cost you more than half as much as a brand new DS

8. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    I call it a soldering gun but its just a pencil. It has a handle and a shaft that has the tip that solders. I fixed my friends tamagotchi with it.

9. UltraMagnus

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    good... goood.....

I have seen someone try and use one of those big ass soldering guns on an electronics circuit once, it wasn't pretty.

10. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Yea, lol. I'm not dumb or anything. [​IMG]

11. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Does anyone know of a reputable place that sells official Nintendo cases on eBay?

12. Joey90

Joey90 Not around any more

Apr 21, 2007
    UK
    You can't buy official nintendo cases, unless you buy a broken DS off eBay and use the case from that...

What Antoligy said was, instead of fixing it all yourself, you could take it to a repair company (e.g. console doctor) and get it professionally done.

13. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    That kills the point of why I want to fix it, I'm doing this as a DIY project [​IMG]. It wont be any fun just sending it out. I want the satisfaction of being able to fix something then being able to use it right after.

For the case thing, what is a good case then? A place that sells everything needed and not leaving things out(like miss matched colors for the buttons or the rubber covers).

The DS isnt a overly scratched junk rectangle. I just want to have it like new, so I can have a like new DS LOL. Plus its free, so its like a brand new DSL and a free acekard for $55.

14. UltraMagnus

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    DX sells cases, other than that if the case is just scratched you could sand it down and paint it or cover it in some way.

15. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Yea, I know he was. Thats why I said that. For the DX site, I wouldnt want to wait forever for a case. Lol, I'm impatient. I want to order everything one week and get it at the end of that week or the beginning of the next. Then be done the following day to play [​IMG].

16. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Gah. . . he couldn't give it to me. . . . [​IMG]

17. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Anywhere that I could find a cheap DSL? I want to get one because I need some sort of gaming system. . .

18. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    Er buy a broken one on ebay? Then fix it? [​IMG]

19. ~~Tito~~
    OP

~~Tito~~ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Hmmm That makes a little sense, but its still risky since you don't know the extent of the damage.

20. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    You only said cheap you didn't say trustworthy. [​IMG]