Won't fix Courtroom Subforum?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Selim873, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Selim873
    OP

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Probably not a very practical one, but I use to browse a forum that had one. If there were questionable bans, which probably wouldn't happen often since the staff here are super awesome and know what they're doing, they would be taken care of in a public court thread. I might have to try to remember what forum it was and link an example. What do you guys think?

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    People will abuse it, not to mention trolls would spam it.
    Nah, it just won't work.

3. Selim873
    OP

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Very true. The forum I spoke of wasn't very populated either, I believe, so it probably worked better. Once I get the time, I'll definitely find an example and link it.

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Let me save the staff here some time by saying... no.

If this site is like any other, the mods don't want to deal with ban appeals, and have a rule saying that bans are not up for debate. Also, if the current staff can't handle the load, there's no need for a courtroom, just more moderators.

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  5. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Irish ex captain

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Not gona happen, we generally give people multiple chances to sort themselves out before we end up banning them unless they really take the piss. Anyway we have a staff sub-section entirely dedicated to managing members where we discuss troublesome individuals thoroughly so you could say that is a "courtroom" but just for staff. Allowing members to appeal and debate our moderating would end up causing tons of drama, extra work for the staff and in my opinion would be damaging to the well-being of the forum in the long run and would probably not lead to us changing our minds about bans anyway.

T-hug likes this.
  6. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    If a courtroom is to work, it has to be closed. Opening it up just gives way for trolls, abuse, hate, etc.

Also, the Temp has a rule that bans aren't up for appeal. Otherwise, everyone who got banned would be sending ban appeals.

I feel the mods and admins can be a lot more efficient at finding more offenders if they aren't burdened by appeals and constant reviews of past moderative actions.

Rather, we should focus on having good mods (which we already do!).