PS1/2 Couple questions about PS1 "backups"

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all this isn't a "where can I download them/how to burn them" thread, I already know how to do that. Just every time I burn a PS1 image to a CD-R, when I try play it in my PS1, it hangs on the "PS" logo, just after the Diamond thingy boot thingy. I use IMGBurn to make the CDs, and mostly get my images in ".bin" format. I assume something goes wrong because there's no ".cue" with it, and I know ".bin/.cue" should go together. But I just don't understand. I thought it was a laser problem too, but I even tried swapping my laser out for a new one and it still didn't solve the problem. I burn my backups at 10x speed because I literally can't do it slower, I know I should burn them at 1x but I can't, maybe this is why? I just wanna play my PS1 classics on a TV so a little help would be appreciated.

Also, is there a patch for Spyro 3 that will let me play the game to the end without the anti piracy triggering on me because it's a backup?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First of all this isn't a "where can I download them/how to burn them" thread, I already know how to do that. Just every time I burn a PS1 image to a CD-R, when I try play it in my PS1, it hangs on the "PS" logo, just after the Diamond thingy boot thingy. I use IMGBurn to make the CDs, and mostly get my images in ".bin" format. I assume something goes wrong because there's no ".cue" with it, and I know ".bin/.cue" should go together.

.Cue contains the track data, so it's probably because you are missing it. You don't have any originals you could back up and burn yourself to eliminate other issues?

But I just don't understand. I thought it was a laser problem too, but I even tried swapping my laser out for a new one and it still didn't solve the problem. I burn my backups at 10x speed because I literally can't do it slower, I know I should burn them at 1x but I can't, maybe this is why?

You can't select 1x because modern burners and media aren't designed to write at such low speeds. People insisting it has to be x1 or x2 are just people holding onto the past.

Also, is there a patch for Spyro 3 that will let me play the game to the end without the anti piracy triggering on me because it's a backup?

There was eventually a working fix for it, but you'll have to search as I'm not sure if piracy patches/cracks can be posted here. IIRC paradox released it.

Other option is a properly ripped & burned version using Clonecd.

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There was eventually a working fix for it, but you'll have to search as I'm not sure if piracy patches/cracks can be posted here. IIRC paradox released it.

Other option is a properly ripped & burned version using Clonecd.

I found a "perfectly" cracked one (paradox v2 of it or something) and it still gave me the same errors as a non-patched one. I won't ask for a link though since it's more than likely not allowed. I managed to get games working again though. ^-^

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
There's no circumvention for Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon as if, paradox tried to do it but failed miserably. The only way i could get past this game's AP was playing it on the PSP-PSN release, since that one is always checked as legit.

This game's AP is one of the best designed ones i've ever seen, It trolls you to ragequit for being a "pirate".

I remember reading something about someone other than paradox group trying to do it. If i find the thread (and doesn't contain any copyrighted images) i'll link you to it.

EDIT: Can't find the link anymore, but i found the hilariously well built article about how the developers put the AP in place, might be worth a read if you are curious like me for these type of stuff..

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3030/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php.

Last edited by Alex658,

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no circumvention for Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon as if, paradox tried to do it but failed miserably. The only way i could get past this game's AP was playing it on the PSP-PSN release, since that one is always checked as legit.

This game's AP is one of the best designed ones i've ever seen, It trolls you to ragequit for being a "pirate".

I remember reading something about someone other than paradox group trying to do it. If i find the thread (and doesn't contain any copyrighted images) i'll link you to it.

EDIT: Can't find the link anymore, but i found the hilariously well built article about how the developers put the AP in place, might be worth a read if you are curious like me for these type of stuff..

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3030/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php.

Yeah it had amazing AP. Oh well. I do have a PSP so can play it on there anyway, I just wanted it on my TV xD And yeah I've read through that article a couple times before just out of curiosity, really interesting to read..

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yeah it had amazing AP. Oh well. I do have a PSP so can play it on there anyway, I just wanted it on my TV xD And yeah I've read through that article a couple times before just out of curiosity, really interesting to read..

I could only finish it on the psn release for psp, pspxpsx conversions would get the same AP issues you mentioned. If you have a component/composite cable why not hook it up to your TV? They aren't really that expensive anymore (they shouldn't be), those cables only really work for playing psx games in full screen. Psp games look like garbage on a TV that can't naturally upscale.

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I could only finish it on the psn release for psp, pspxpsx conversions would get the same AP issues you mentioned. If you have a component/composite cable why not hook it up to your TV? They aren't really that expensive anymore (they shouldn't be), those cables only really work for playing psx games in full screen. Psp games look like garbage on a TV that can't naturally upscale.

I would but the way my room is set out, I'd need a cable that's like 15m long XD I basically have my TV in one corner and my bed in the oppositely diagonal corner and there's some distance between them, I have thought about a component cable but this is the reason I won't get on, because I can't find one long enough.

morgoth32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
x10 burning speed is way too much. I'd would not go farther than 1,2 max 4. Try to get an old burner or differents burning softs. CD Burner XP can burn at low speed I think.

I have 2 Xenogears backup, the first is burnt at 12x and is unplayable on my psx. The second one is burnt at 2x and runs perfectly. Those backups were burnt with exactly the same CDs and burner.

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
x10 burning speed is way too much. I'd would not go farther than 1,2 max 4. Try to get an old burner or differents burning softs. CD Burner XP can burn at low speed I think.

I have 2 Xenogears backup, the first is burnt at 12x and is unplayable on my psx. The second one is burnt at 2x and runs perfectly. Those backups were burnt with exactly the same CDs and burner.

Like I said, I can't go slower than 10x and I can't afford a new burner to write at lower speeds.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only format I can ever find them in is solely .bin

No one is uploading "just .bin", if you're getting your images from reputable sources there will always be .bin and .cue, and I can think of two very well known sources that have extensive PS1 libraries.

I actually think Alcohol 120% burns PS1 better than IMGBurn, Alcohol actually has a Playstation setting in the drop down customization menu on the burn setup window.

Make sure you are using good discs. Verbatim work OK, TDK are good too. Anything that reads as Ritek or Taiyo Yuden.

10X is an odd minimum burn speed, are you using a laptop burner? They are invariably crappy. I have a tower set up pretty much just for burning with a good quality drive that burns most discs at 8x.

Burn speed does affect disc viability, whatever anyone here might tell you otherwise. Errors are increased at higher speeds, and with software the less errors the better.

The last thing is, what kind of chip do you have in your PS1? Some of the older ones are fussy.

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No one is uploading "just .bin", if you're getting your images from reputable sources there will always be .bin and .cue, and I can think of two very well known sources that have extensive PS1 libraries.

I actually think Alcohol 120% burns PS1 better than IMGBurn, Alcohol actually has a Playstation setting in the drop down customization menu on the burn setup window.

Make sure you are using good discs. Verbatim work OK, TDK are good too. Anything that reads as Ritek or Taiyo Yuden.

10X is an odd minimum burn speed, are you using a laptop burner? They are invariably crappy. I have a tower set up pretty much just for burning with a good quality drive that burns most discs at 8x.

Burn speed does affect disc viability, whatever anyone here might tell you otherwise. Errors are increased at higher speeds, and with software the less errors the better.

The last thing is, what kind of chip do you have in your PS1? Some of the older ones are fussy.

My main source I get them in ".ecm" and can uncompress them to ".bin" but no ".cue" ever comes with it. Of course it's against rules to ask for links so I'll have to find those two sources myself >.< They have to be PAL format though because I don't have an RGB-cable. I'll give Alcohol 120% a shot. I'm having to use a USB DVD drive because my laptop burner is broken >.< My discs aren't the best quality but they're not a cheap crappy brand either, they're pretty expensive for a pack of 10, like £4 >.< I know the slower the better, I've had experience with two of the same burned discs at different speeds and the slower one worked while the faster didn't. As for what chip I have, I don't have a clue tbh, I bought it secondhand.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're brave enough, open up the Playstation and take a picture of the chip, or just count the number of wires, the better stealth chips have 7 or 8 typically, older chips can have as few as 3 IIRC.

PAL images are probably going to be tough to track down, most people playing PS1 games in this day and age prefer the NTSC versions. Time to buy an RGB cable!

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're brave enough, open up the Playstation and take a picture of the chip, or just count the number of wires, the better stealth chips have 7 or 8 typically, older chips can have as few as 3 IIRC.

PAL images are probably going to be tough to track down, most people playing PS1 games in this day and age prefer the NTSC versions. Time to buy an RGB cable!

I mean, I believe I have an RGB cable. It's a scart cable and has all 21? pins for it. I'm using a very modern TV for it so it can accept NTSC input, but whenevr I try and play a NTSC game it's black and white. >.<

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
My main source I get them in ".ecm" and can uncompress them to ".bin" but no ".cue" ever comes with it. Of course it's against rules to ask for links so I'll have to find those two sources myself >.< They have to be PAL format though because I don't have an RGB-cable. I'll give Alcohol 120% a shot. I'm having to use a USB DVD drive because my laptop burner is broken >.< My discs aren't the best quality but they're not a cheap crappy brand either, they're pretty expensive for a pack of 10, like £4 >.< I know the slower the better, I've had experience with two of the same burned discs at different speeds and the slower one worked while the faster didn't. As for what chip I have, I don't have a clue tbh, I bought it secondhand.
sent pm

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, I believe I have an RGB cable. It's a scart cable and has all 21? pins for it. I'm using a very modern TV for it so it can accept NTSC input, but whenevr I try and play a NTSC game it's black and white. >.<

My memory fails me on this, but I know back in the day I would play JP and US games on my PAL PS1 (living in UK at the time) through a SCART lead on a Sony PVM. Maybe you have to patch the images?

Or buy a cheap US PS1 that matches your model and swap out the power supply, if your TV is less than 10 years old it should be fine with an NTSC signal.

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My memory fails me on this, but I know back in the day I would play JP and US games on my PAL PS1 (living in UK at the time) through a SCART lead on a Sony PVM. Maybe you have to patch the images?

Or buy a cheap US PS1 that matches your model and swap out the power supply, if your TV is less than 10 years old it should be fine with an NTSC signal.

I'm broke, and even if I could import a PS1, I probably wouldn't know how to change over the power supply. Patching the images works, for te few games I used to be able to run (which now I can't) but it'd only patch the video and not the audio, so the video would be at 50Hz and in colour but the audio would be running at NTSC speed, which caused a massive de-sync >.<

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm broke, and even if I could import a PS1, I probably wouldn't know how to change over the power supply. Patching the images works, for te few games I used to be able to run (which now I can't) but it'd only patch the video and not the audio, so the video would be at 50Hz and in colour but the audio would be running at NTSC speed, which caused a massive de-sync >.<

Power supply is two screws and a molex plug. If you already have a (>2000) PSP that might end up being your easiest option though, DATELs eBay store has 2000 component cables for les than 10 bucks I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: