Homebrew Couple of trimming ROMS questions

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My kids have DSs, I don't really use them or know too much about them myself and the kids are too young to do anything other than play the games.

Anyway, I got them AceKard 2i's and they've been really easy to use. Today my son was showing me if he copies a game on the card he can trim it to save room on his micro SD. He's been doing it one at a time, so I googled and found a few different tools that can do them in batches on the pc, this is where my questions come from. Please help if you can
smile.gif

- What's the best windows trimmer ?
- Do any games have problems if trimmed ?

I'll trial and error some in the meantime, but obviously there must be some of you guys n gals here with a lot of experience with this that can maybe point things out I might not notice. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
NDSTokyoTrim is the best Windows trimmer.
It's the fastest and most secure one, and can do it in batches.

No, no games have any problems if they are trimmed.
If you install a translation patch or a crack or want to alter the game in any way it's best not to trim it though.
But if you just want to play it normally and play it online, trim it!

Background can be a bit adult though, so don't let your kids do it
tongue.gif
(or change it)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Satangel said:
That's wrong.

You want to avoid trimming the DSi Enhanced roms or they will hang. Try trimming "Rabbids Go Home (DSi Enhanced)" with NDSTokyoTrim and you'll see it hangs when you get past the language selection screen.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the rapid response Satangel
biggrin.gif

I was reading that NDSTokyoTrim is the best a few places now so I think I'll stick with that. I read a few places now that if the game/rom is dsi enhanced then trimming would corrupt it though...hmm. I'll test that out when I get an enhanced rom, so I'm guessing the other 99.9% of roms that aren't enhanced are fine, so all seems good.

Think I'm good to go now, you just saved me time reading any further
wink.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I really appreciate the help peeps
smile.gif

I always expect things to be complicated, but I'm finding everything on the DS is totally n00b proof.

Thanks again for saving me time reading conflicting stories and for the recommendation of the trimmer
wink.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tk_saturn said:
Satangel said:
That's wrong.

You want to avoid trimming the DSi Enhanced roms or they will hang. Try trimming "Rabbids Go Home (DSi Enhanced)" with NDSTokyoTrim and you'll see it hangs when you get past the language selection screen.

Oh, sorry, never really looked into DSi stuff so I didn't know that.
Thanks for the heads-up.

QUOTE(Slimmmmmm @ Apr 15 2010, 03:36 PM)
I really appreciate the help peeps
smile.gif

I always expect things to be complicated, but I'm finding everything on the DS is totally n00b proof.

Thanks again for saving me time reading conflicting stories and for the recommendation of the trimmer
wink.gif

Playing roms and homebrew on the DS is indeed very straightforward and easy as hell.
Doing the same on the Wii is a bit more enhanced and difficult, but still quite easy if you just want to play the games.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, something to note: games that can connect to wifi should not be trimmed.
But this is ok as none of the programs listed above will trim a wifi rom anyway, they'll just ignore it.

5%

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fearofshorts said:
But this is ok as none of the programs listed above will trim a wifi rom anyway, they'll just ignore it.
NDSTokyoTrim just trimmed Mario Kart DS 32MB to 25MB
fearofshorts said:
Oh yeah, something to note: games that can connect to wifi should not be trimmed.

This only applies to the old trimmers. Couple of posts regarding this here:

[url=http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=216859&hl=]http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=216859&hl=[/url]
[url=http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=100289]http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=100289[/url]
R2DJ said:
No, I am not asking on the best trimmer. I use NDSTokyoTrim for trimming and I just remembered reading way back then that WiFi games should not be trimmed as it will hinder performance. Is that true? Or can I safely trim any game I want?
QUOTE(Sephi @ Mar 24 2010, 07:58 PM)
The problem with bad trimmers used to be that they would delete some of the wifi code. If you use an up to date trimmer you're fine.
why you do dis fearofshorts
glare.gif

Though trimming roms may affect DS Download Play. Bleach: BoF & Tetris DS Download Play didn't work for me until I replaced the trimmed roms with the clean roms

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
Satangel said:
That's wrong.

I posted a link to download a beta of an update to my tool, it will now detect and skip DSi roms automatically
smile.gif

main thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=551...&start=1575

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1