Couple of Questions (Flash Card | ROM Organiser)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by reddevilmeuk, Dec 13, 2010.

1. reddevilmeuk
    OP

Newcomer reddevilmeuk Advanced Member

United States
    hi just got the kids a DSi each and have access to lots of ROMS. A couple of questions for you...

I purchased an R4i which I assume now is a clone, however does work...

1) What is the PROS / CONS of using this, instead of buying a legitimate card?

2) Which piece of software should I use to organise 5000+ ROMS ?

thanks in advance....

2. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    What R4 is it?

3. reddevilmeuk
    OP

United States
  4. Ringo619

Member Ringo619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I believe for the fake r4i you can use WOOD most of the new games work and if they don't in a couple of days there's a new update for WOOD to make the games play

5. reddevilmeuk
    OP

United States
    forgive my ignorace but what do you mean i can use WOOD?

also anyone on the ROM organiser?

6. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    What do you mean organize them? Like when they go on your card, they're not all messy but neatly organized by name and whatnot?

7. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    RToolDS from ADVANsCEne is a really excellent and fairly straightforward ROM organizer. It can read files while in archives, and for NDS specific roms it includes access to a frequently updated online database which includes box covers and screenshots which is read from the header of the roms.

The only thing that's of any trouble about it with a very large library is that it will take a rather long time for it to catalog your roms and download the boxart/screenshots initially. But once that process is complete you can use it to drag and drop roms to the mSD for each flashcart, you can have it configured to automatically "trim" the rom (removing unnecessary data that existed to force the ROM data to fill the original chip in a particular way) which will allow you to fit more on each mSD. As well as have it automatically update a save file database on the computer every time you browse the mSD.

If you use directories to organize the roms on the mSD's, you have to browse each one seperately to synchronize all game saves with your PC though.

There is a lot of other ROM organizing software out there, but for specifically NDS ROMs this one is excellent and well supported.

edit: you can also set it up to name rom files in a specific way when they are added to an mSD, which I forgot to mention but seeing ShadowSoldier's post above mine, I remembered

edit2: changed my reference to advanscene. I haven't verified that it's an acceptable site to link to from GBAtemp but I know they also abide by a no-ROM-site policy. but the url I'd originally used was incorrect anyway.

edit3: if you have already trimmed all of your roms you will probably have issues with the program recognizing what ROM is what even if the release info is in the filename.
    I forgot about that issue with the program, but because it can read the roms when they are inside .zip/.rar archives, I just always keep the zips in one big folder.

8. reddevilmeuk
    OP

United States
    thankyou so much for all your help.... that is perfect [​IMG]

now the last one what is WOOD that Ringo mentioned?

9. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Don't worry about it, I could be wrong, but it looks like your card isn't capable of running it.

WOOD is basically a different firmware/loader for certain R4's which have near perfect compatibility with games. It gets frequent updates to play the newer games.

10. reddevilmeuk
    OP

United States

so i assume i should re-thing which card to use after christmas? as i used to use R4's back in the day, I foolishly assumed the R4i was legit [​IMG]

the cards are for christmas with a new DSi and don't want to start having compatability issue's down the line...

thanks for all your help btw

11. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    The R4i gold can run it.

There's also the Acekard 2i and the DSTWO, and there's that newly released CycloDS iEvolution. Those are the top 4 I would recommend.

12. exangel

United States
    Since If you're going to have multiple systems set-up I would recommend the Acekard 2i.
    I have two of them personally (one for my DS Lite and one for my DSi XL) and am most fond of its interface (which is also used by Wood R4 for "skins"). The DSTwo is an also excellent product but is WAY more expensive to give as a gift when you're talking about setting up multiple systems.
    I have a DSTwo and have been using it for close to a week. As far as looking something you will expect to work in those DSi's for years or forever, the DSTwo is probably, currently, the most well-supported option under $40 a unit. (I don't know what the new Cyclo is priced at, but I remember the old Cyclo still selling for over $40 new in many shops quite recently...)

However the Acekard 2i carts are easily under $20 a unit, and if you get them from Real Hot Stuff (recommended as they ship from New Jersey) they are pre-flashed for compatibility with DSi 1.4.1 so you can set them up even if they have the flashcart-blocking update from September (Which is required if access to the DSiWare Shop is necessary).

I also think that because Acekard 2i lacks so many of the features a DSTwo does have, it's easier for a novice to maintain, and easier to show another person how to use the system itself, even if changing the system files/roms/homebrew isn't necessarily important. Plus, support for the DSCovered (CoverflowDS) homebrew replacement interface doesn't exist on the DSTwo to my knowledge. There is a nice interface replacement (iMenu, an iPhone-style interface), but if you're setting a flashcart up for a kid, I don't think there is anything better than setting up DSCovered on a Wood R4 compatible or AK2i/AKAIO system. The only serious issue with DSCovered I've encountered is that if using Action Replay style cheat codes is important, it is complicated to load them (you pretty much have to exit the interface and go back to the actual AKAIO/WoodR4 system temporarily, if I remember correctly).

I realize that most people comparing the two carts as a matter of gift giving are thinking of how well it's going to do the purpose intended, since it seems to me that your purpose is equipping the DSi's you are giving as gifts with a library of games
    Scratch that. I've confused this thread with a different one. But still true that you are in the US and my recommendations above are still well meaning.

13. reddevilmeuk
    OP

United States
    thanks for your help

never heard of DSCovered.... after having a quick look it looks ace..... i think i need to do a lot of reading now [​IMG]

14. jacobbones

Newcomer jacobbones Member

United States
    Does that program mentioned to organize games work for the dscard two ?

15. exangel

United States
    I'm pretty sure it does, but I haven't set it up on the computers I have access to at the moment.
    It should use the 512kb Generic .sav file setting