Couple of questions about burning PS2 .iso's

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Shakraka, Mar 10, 2009.

Mar 10, 2009
  1. Shakraka
    OP

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My friend decided to give me his Swap Magic 3.6 (too scratched for him to use anymore, already installed Free McBoot, and I bought him lunch a few times) and I immediately cleaned it with toothpaste (good thing I didn't tell him that you can clean it with toothpaste) and my PS2 actually read the thing. So, instead of putting my PS2 at risk, I decided I would install Free McBoot this weekend. While preparing to softmod my PS2, I had some questions about disk burning and thought I should ask you guys.

Yes, I used the search function, but it didn't come up with results that answer most of my questions. I'll be be blunt:
    1. Does it matter if you use DVD-R or DVD+R?
    2. Because I should burn at 2.4X, does the number on the disc have to be at least 2.4X? (For example: Verbatim 4.7GB 16X DVD+R)
    3. If I follow this method of burning: http://www.mementoteam.com/Guides/Eng/te4.html (from playallday's guide) do I still need to patch it with ESR? (Using Free McBoot v1.8)
    4. If I can burn .iso's using DVD-R, can I use this disc? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817130950
    5. If the one above isn't good for it's price/value, which Verbatim discs are usually the most preferred for PS2 .iso burning?

Thanks for any help given and sorry if this gets asked a lot.

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I use DVD-R and always burn at 2.4x for better reliable burns [​IMG]

others state it does not matter .. its personal preference [​IMG]

re new egg media it does not give much information about the media info type only that they are datalifeplus which doesnt mean a lot !?

Dunno reviews say they are good but it may not be the case in your machine as every system burns different same with different burners some burn better than others with certain medias etc!

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    1) older PS2's will only read DVD-R, newer PS2's can read both DVD-/+R
    2) no, the burning speed is done in your file burning software, 16x is just the max the disks are rated
    3) yes, the patching is very simple, takes 2 secs with the program
    4) should be fine from the comments
    5) I just use verbatim and sony disks, they are on sale almost every week at bestbuy, 50pk for $11

4. Shakraka
    OP

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ah, thanks for the help. I have a USA SCPH 30001 Version 4, but I'll go for a DVD-R just in case.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    yea mine is newer and it can read DVD+R
    50001 v10

6. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    That guide works fine with ESR. After you do that you're ready to play! Nothing else needed.