Counterfeit microSD cards on eBay?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by seteteseosed, Feb 2, 2007.

Feb 2, 2007
  1. seteteseosed
    OP

Newcomer seteteseosed Newbie

I'm thinking of picking up a microSD card from eBay (Toshiba SD-C01G), but I've slowly being growing wary of it due to the large amount of counterfeit electronic deivces, including memory cards, being sold by HK and Chinese sellers. I can easily tell when someone's selling a fake GBA game, but it's a lot more difficult with microSD's as my understanding of their general price range isn't as good, plus there's no way of telling if the box art is fake.

So, my question is, how many of you have bought their microSD's from eBay and have any of them (or worse, all of them) been counterfeit products that don't deliver from on the build quality or transfer speed side? Or, am I being completely paranoid about the whole matter and that the microSD's available on eBay are genuine products?

And I also would like to know if anyone could recommend any good international shops that sell microSD's (particulary the Toshiba ones) and ship them for a reasonable price around the world?

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    on ebay they even admit 98% of memory cards are fakes on thier site.

3. dpat

Newcomer dpat Newbie

United States
    hmm well.. today i was in a electronics market in bangkok and picked up 1 gb micro sd card for $10.00

so maybe not fake goods?

4. TeraS

Member TeraS GBAtemp Regular

i brought a tosiba 512 from ebay, and i have no problems with it other than tight fit. Really fast and runs everything superb

5. seteteseosed
    OP

Newcomer seteteseosed Newbie

Hmm.

Well, I guess I'll risk it and do the testing afterwards. I'll try the cheapest ones available and if those are genuine, then I guess there's not a lot of risk of getting a counterfeit product from eBay... for now.

And most of what I read was about Sandisk in particular. Their microSD's are being copied. Not much info on any other brand.

6. Emu

Member Emu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I bought a 52 in 1 card reader on ebay for 10$ from hong kong, that price includes the s+h. Reads my card just fine and it's a poor offbrand of what i've already been told is a poor reader. BUT IT WORKS! So...who knows?

7. scdsone

Newcomer scdsone Member

United Kingdom
  8. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The biggest tip to avoid the fake microsd cards is to avoid ebay. Go with a popular firm that supplies microsd cards, that way you know your going to get a genuine one.

9. Emu

Member Emu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    IE: NewEgg 12.99+3.99 3 business day shipping.

10. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you cnat go wrong with newegg. i got a japan 1 gig kingston a few weeks ago. couldnt be happier.

11. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    All cards on ebay are prob fake. I card died on me after 2 months, and although I know its a fake, Im still getting it replaced by the seller. What else can I do?
    eBay would not take any action against the seller, as long as they are profiting from their actions.

eBay hypocrites.

The only place Im buying cards from now, is either play.com, amazon or mobymemory directly. No chance of fakes there. Every card or memory I have bought from these places have worked perfectly so far.
    Apparently Amazon marketplace sellers are selling fake sticks, so stay away from them too.

I

12. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Amazon isn't as ignorant as ebay. The Amaon market place guarantee is excellent. If you get a fake memory card from the market place just tell Amazon about it and you'll get all your money back.

13. Arkansaw

Member Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

East Timor
    recently, the prices for tf cards