Couldn't a Powersaves Modification provide a glimpse of a Game Flasher?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheGrayShow1467, Oct 12, 2014.

1. TheGrayShow1467
    OP

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Q: "Couldn't a Powersaves Modification provide a glimpse of a Game Flasher?" What does this mean?
    A: This is a question... DUH! It means: Could it be possible to re-purpose a Powersaves/Powersaves Pro to flash .CIA or .3DS or .3DZ? Of course it's easier said than done, but with smart individuals that are in great abundance, I believe we can turn a Save Manager Tool into a Flasher. Now, it is NOT intended for warez, but instead, to install a .CIA Installer to a crappy 3DS Game to install homebrew to the system. Example: Uses mod to flash 3DNES.CIA to a retail copy of DualPenSports (Namco Bandai) (USA)

Now, I cannot personally say how this would work, but in essence, it would overwrite the game already on the game card and replace it with a different game, like the .CIA Installer. Sorry for any confusion...
    Opinions? Questions? Comments? I would love to hear what you have to say!

2. YoshiInAVoid

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    ROM - Read Only Memory. You can't change the game on a cartridge. Only the save.

Kaphotics likes this.
  3. TheGrayShow1467
    OP

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Thanks! I'll update my previous post.

4. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

I think he's more referring to the way Card2 type games work. If this were possible, I would think it would have already been done, though.

5. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    how big is the rewritable part on a card2 game anyways? cant be more than 2mb or something. even then, you can expect there be checks and balances in place to prevent random code execution from loading a game save file.

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    dispite the fact the idea is silly as just writing something to a cart doesn't make it exempt from the security thats already in place to prevent unsigned code running or modified roms, im interested in hearing more from the people who had their pokemon carts bricks and *how* it happened, from what i remember card2 games work by a chip having a certain region to ROM, and a small area marked as writable......but from what people said about the bricked carts, somehow powersaves managed to write to the cart outside of these parameters, which theoretically should not of been possible if the rest of the cart is marked as read only.