Hardware Could you write to a DS/3DS cartridge from a 3ds?

Catonthemat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I've been wondering, can you change games on a DS/3DS cartridge through a kernal app?
Carts, that are not R4 though.
What I mean by kernal app is something like decrpyt9WIP and Godmode as you launch at startup.

Last edited by Catonthemat,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Short answer, No
Long answer, DS/3DS games use a ROM, which stands for "Read-only memory." They are made to be flashed once and that's it. The only way to change that would be a hardware modification to the chip itself.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Carts with built-in saves... you can read/write the save file. That's it. Writing something else in that little space other than that, and the cart will detect it as a corrupt save and delete it.

D

Deleted User

yes
if you have a custom cart
no
if you have anything else

idk where you would get a custom cart though

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you can't change the game on a cart, you can use it's save flash as a small flash drive of sorts. Just use fbi to browse the save data on the cart and put any file you want on it. Then when you want to retrieve the file you use fbi again. I've used this method to transfer a file between two cfw 3ds on a road trip before.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few games, including WarioWare DIY, did use a single NAND flash chip instead of ROM + SPI EEPROM. Most of the NAND flash is write-protected, and I'm not sure if there's any way to work around it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1