Gaming Could we quickly describe how awesome HOTD: OK is?!

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally had a chance to play House of the Dead: Overkill last night. I have been waiting forever for it, and boy did it not disappoint. Usually these highly anticipated games do let you down some. I just beat the regular story mode, and I think i will go for Director's cut next. Not sure if the story changes, or not, but the story in story mode is great.

The ending while damn gross is hilarious. Agent G's monologue about the irony of not saying Mother Fucker was classic. I mean, they really nailed this game.

The game could be harder and all, but it has all it should have from the original HOTD. The Goregasms are really hard to get though, maybe after a couple more days of playing I will get better at them. Currently my longest Goregasm was 2 seconds =). I think that's were the challange lies. Trying to make yourself better.

Playing without the hair trigger makes the game incredibly hard by the way. But I think that is because of the Wii and my TV. Always feel like its off from where I am aiming. But that is with all Wii games.

What do you guys think of the game?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me and the Mrs play it every night, she loves it and we both have goregasms. Headstrong have really taken the game and made it to be more than just another sequel, which lets be honest 3 & 4 were.

Now I enjoyed the last two (3 especially as the feel of the shotgun was so damn nice) but without the different guns they wouldn't really have been else to seperate them from the original games.

Changing the feel to a more Grindhouse X-rated really gave the series a boost for me. I also love having different weapons (rather than just have the one like before) and also being able to wield two guns in single player. The slo-mo bit was cool too as was doing combos and the "mini games" were suitable to the game.

As for "Directors Cut" there isn't no new story parts added, its just harder and you don't seem to have as many continues.

I do hope it sells well, SEGA have really put a lot into promoting it, I've even seen adverts in when I was at the cinema last night. Also the reviews have been very good so if it doesn't sell well it'll either be the 18 rating its got or just down to piracy.

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
I've beaten the Story Mode too. And man... I'm impressed with everything! Gameplay is really nice and the cheesy-grindhouse story is just awesome! Great ending. Going for Directors Cut now.
biggrin.gif

One thing though.. the game has been too easy. I hope Directors Cut is alot more difficult to beat.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CreX said:
I've beaten the Story Mode too. And man... I'm impressed with everything! Gameplay is really nice and the cheesy-grindhouse story is just awesome! Great ending. Going for Directors Cut now.
biggrin.gif

One thing though.. the game has been too easy. I hope Directors Cut is alot more difficult to beat.
Not much so to be honest, I didn't die once.

Tetram

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've planned to buy it, but I need to know if the noticeable lags occur also on the retail version ?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i bought 2 hand cannons and if you got the skills you can wield them like nero from devil may cry man!

This game rocks!

Just wish the read speed (via backup) could be a little faster to make it less jerky at times.

Finished it within the first day of playing it, and still loving it.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The game is a-mother fucking-mazing. Like everyone else, the game could have been harder. The director's cut was actually easier then the regular story for me. I only died twice in director's cut because of some cheap shots. I'm still playing it. I can't praise this game enough. I just hope when motion plus comes out a light gun game can take advantage to make it fell like those old gun con games for the PS2.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is some things I would have changed:

1- Don't make money so hard to get after you beat the game. It makes getting the chain gun near impossible, and by the time you get it, you would have beat the game to death.

2- Don't offer new guns after beating the game. Let you have it before beating the game. For above reason.

3- Add different scenes, not just game play in directors cut.

4- Offer Varla Gunns side story either in directors cut or somewhere else.

5- Have branching paths in the game.

6- Have option to turn the story off after beating the game.

I kinda felt like this was like Umbrella Chronicles in a lot of ways, game play wise. Definately missing the branching paths.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing this game, I could just see why this got a 8 out of 10 rather then a 10 out of 10. The story is 10+ but there could have been the above improvements.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alucard77 said:

These two things I would especially have liked to have seen, along with some type of online multiplayer -- perhaps simply the option to do the story mode with someone online.

In spite of the game's few shortcomings, I find it impossible to not love the game. I just wish there were more of it. For $50 (and I'm a buyer in this case), it's pretty lite. The team did a great job with what's there, but it's way too short. At the same token, I'm okay with it being short because it's an arcade shooter. So, likely they should have just made the game cheaper out of the starting gate.

Branching paths, an unlockable Varla mode that clocks in at about a third of the story mode, and priced at $40 would have really made this game a friggin' wet dream for me.

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't even played it, but based on this thread I would feel comfortable giving this game like 0 stars out of 5.

it's Easy, has stat progression and uses the Wiimote as a lightgun. And the graphics are awful, based on screens I've seen. I don't care how funky the story is.

Meanwhile, no one cares about the incredible House of the Dead 4.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Louisiana said:
I haven't even played it, but based on this thread I would feel comfortable giving this game like 1 star out of 5.

That says a lot about the value we should put on your opinions in the future.
rolleyes.gif

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the sign of any good game is always leave them wanting more. Well this does. I wouldn't call it a bad thing, because very few long games really balance timining properly. I have played plenty of 8-12 hour games, where there was a good wasted 4 hours of game play just doing dumb things. This is straight in your face and to the point.

I do have to say the goregasms are real easy to get once you have an upgrade shotgun or auto shotgun. Doing it with a Magnum is not easy at all.

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
Hadrian Uranium said:
CreX said:
Not much so to be honest, I didn't die once.
Hmm... :/
Too bad
frown.gif

Ye, harder difficulties and more content is needed. But the levels that are there, are simply amazing. ALOT better than Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles imo. Varla Guns side story would own. And a competitive multiplayer mode, like the most points win. I loved Link's Crossbow training, played it til I got Platina on all levels. A limiliar multiplayer mode would be fun.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
alucard77 said:

These two things I would especially have liked to have seen, along with some type of online multiplayer -- perhaps simply the option to do the story mode with someone online.

In spite of the game's few shortcomings, I find it impossible to not love the game. I just wish there were more of it. For $50 (and I'm a buyer in this case), it's pretty lite. The team did a great job with what's there, but it's way too short. At the same token, I'm okay with it being short because it's an arcade shooter. So, likely they should have just made the game cheaper out of the starting gate.

Branching paths, an unlockable Varla mode that clocks in at about a third of the story mode, and priced at $40 would have really made this game a friggin' wet dream for me.

I agree with you guys.
I have yet to beat it, but it's disapointing that Varla doesn't have her own story.
Especially since the mode beside story mode (Director's cut?) has her picture above it.
Completely misleading.

Branching paths would have been nice since the story mode is only one path.
The story itself I like. It's like pulp fiction in some ways and has some humor in it.
Though the graphics could have been polished a little bit more along with the animations but as a gamer thats not quite as important as the story itself.
Looking down a barrel of a gun only to see a flat texture that looks like someone draw a circle on it does not help it look good.
Though atleast the ingame graphics look good when you're shooting everything.
Also destructable items seemed a little lacking.
In Umbrella Chronicles you could break almost everything.
In HOTD:OK you could shoot a pile of books and they would just take the bullet like a pile of bricks.

Anyway, its a good game, but ya, too lite for a HOTD game in some regards.
If they added branching paths or more story parts then it would make up for it like RE:UC did.

Still, its a nice skill shooter.

I'll wait till the price goes down.
For now I'm saving cash for the Conduit and or MadWorld depending on how my cash looks when their out.

50 dollars is a bit much for a one trick pony. Though a really really nice one trick pony.... on rails.

Edit: Also doesn't the "More Zombies" button help out in the difficulty section?
I mean, its not dead hard, but theres plenty of things to shoot.
The original HOTD games were more about being trigger happy.
This one is more of a skill shooter than a trigger happy shooter.
Still, more difficulty options would have been nice.
I'm liking the game so far. Though I may wait for a cheaper price before I buy it.

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Louisiana said:
I haven't even played it, but based on this thread I would feel comfortable giving this game like 1 star out of 5.

That says a lot about the value we should put on your opinions in the future.
rolleyes.gif

first off, I edited the 1 to a 0. second, yeah it does. I'm the only one who's discerning enough to realize how trashy this game is (based on this thread!). third (and this is slightly off topic), what exactly is happening in your avatar?

really, play all the other house of the dead games, not using more that a single credit a try, and maybe you'll see. and don't play the wii ports of 2 & 3!

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of people say this game is easy. To a certain extent it is easy, if you have the cross hairs on. The game is 10,000x more difficult without the crosshairs.

The game is a cake walk if you decide to get the semi automatic or the automatic shotgun. But you can also decide to play through the game using just the magnum. So the game lets you chose how you want to play.

The thing that you are missing is that the game has an awesome style about it. The story is great as well. It could have been better, but having thought it over, I think I just wanted more.

For you to say 0 out of 5 without playing it is so off base. You can rent it and give it a shot.

I am not sure what off this thread is showing this is a 0 out of 5? If your arguing difficulty, which I can't tell or not if you are, try the game with a non upgraded magnum with the cross hairs off. I bet you won't find the game easy.

That is actually what I like about this game, you get to select the difficulty. You want a cake walk, buy the chain gun and go to town on regular mode. You want a hard game, do directors cut with a non upgrade magnum.

Actually, that's another thing I would add to this game:

- Make it so that once you buy upgrades, you can still downgrade your gun. So you don't have to start a new save file for the challenge.

That brings up a good question, has anyone tried to beat this with a non upgraded magnum. Is it even possible?

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can calibrate the gun/wiimote on this game. It does take a while to do this. But once you do it right, it is accurate. Not sure why you hate this game with out even trying it.

The first go around, I thought it was the best shooter ever. I no longer feel that way. But I would have to say it is the best story in a shooter ever. I don't mind that at all. Also, this game is definately fun. I played this a good 10-15 hours already. I would never normally play a game for that long if I didn't think it was fun.

Lastly, any shooter game would be incredibly easy if they had cross hairs in it. So I think people need to judge the difficulty on this with crosshairs off.

I also think that the sequal will out do this game. I could even see them doing a HOTD:OK Extended Edition to rectify any issue this game has. This game deserves the 8 out of 10 that it is getting.

You could see why it is not 10 out of 10. But how many games now a days are 10 out of 10 anyway? And how many games actually deserve a 10 out of 10. I have been playing the same GTA since PS2 days. Noone can tell me that, that game is any different. It's the same rehashed shit with a couple of extras in it. That game got a 10. The same goes for MGS. It's still the same shit, and for its originality it got a 10 as well.

At least this sequel kept the spirit the same, but rebooted the franchise. I would say the same for RE: UC. That was also a great game that was needed as the RE franchise became stale, to me at least. RE4 was better then the previous, but still the same shit. Only became good due to the Wii controls.

But let me stop trying to convince you. If you want to play the game, play it, if not, don't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night