Could use some advice

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by joshwill80, Nov 27, 2007.

Nov 27, 2007

Could use some advice by joshwill80 at 3:44 AM (867 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. joshwill80
    OP

Newcomer joshwill80 Advanced Member

United States
    So I just started playing Phantom Hourglass and it crashes when the guy near the beginning tries to give me an award for clearing his field of boulders. Crashes every time at the same spot.

I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with the formatting of my SD card? I'm using a 2b Kingston MicroSD (Japan). I recently formatted the card to FAT32. I noticed after I did this that file operations such as copying became slower. FAT16 did not seem much faster, so I stuck with FAT32. Is there a way to get the default Kingston factory format back, it was a lot faster. If not, then should I go with FAT16 or FAT32, and does cluster size matter? I did not see a way to format the cluster size in Windows.

Also, what about this tool:
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html
    Could that help speed things up and help with crashes, but most importantly is it safe?

----------------------------------------------
    Edit:

Guess I should also mention that I'm using the M3 Real and the Rom has been trimmed with NDSTokyoTrim.

2. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Why don't you first try downloading the game from a different source. Maybe there's something wrong with the rom. Phantom Hourglass also crashed for me right after I beat the last boss but on my 2nd play, it was just fine. But if yours is repeating this, there might be something wrong with either the rom or your microsd.

Are you having any problems with other games ?

3. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    OK will give that a try, but I'm still curious as to which formatting works best (FAT32, FAT16, or Panasonic tool), and how important is cluster size.

4. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    OK after much testing of getting rom from other sources, trimming/non trimming I had no luck. I decided to turn soft reset off, and that was it! Turned it back on to test it and it crashed again.

I was not aware that soft reset could cause certain games to crash. Is there a list somewhere out there that shows these games?

5. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    Are you using the 2.6 firmware?

6. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    Yeah using the latest 2.6 M3 Real/G6 loader.
    -------------------------------
    To update the M3 Real firmware, I just need to place the latest loader "SYSTEM" folder in the root directory of my card, correct? I don't think any other steps are needed, but if so please let me know, I'm still fairly new to the NDS scene.