Could upgrading an R4 to play KH and M&L be any more confusing?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by smoothbwlr, Sep 29, 2009.

1. smoothbwlr
    OP

Newcomer smoothbwlr Member

United States
    ^^I posted about a week ago or so and got my r4 upgraded so that I can play the newer games on it. The upgrade was the R4 firmware v1.22. Now I have realized, like many of you, that KH and the new Mario games don't fully work right on the R4 and other cards. I have been bouncing around topic after topic here and I am really lost. I have tried YSMenu and followed "Mario FIX" topics like crazy and I don't know which to follow and try. I am not interested in literally trying all of the different ideas and messing around by 'changing this file to that' and not knowing if its going to work right or not...seems like a potentially long time to get things to 'maybe' work. I don't feel that I need to go on and on about this.....so let me put this straight. I am using an original R4, not a clone, and I want to play those games. What exactly do I have to do to play those games without dealing with the saving issues? I would greatly appreciate a straight forward answer here. My other concern is that whenever I see a link referring to a potential fix and I click on it, that link has 15+ pages on it...so if that's the case, maybe a hint as to which page I should focus on would be needed too, because the starting page is vastly different than the last page of information, typically speaking. Thanks in advance and I don't mind following 15+ steps, because I don't "need" to have a straight finished file, in order to do this, as long as I know its worth all the steps and reformatting time required. Forgive me for being frank...just a little frustrated. lol

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
  3. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    It's actually alot simpler than it sounds, but I know what you mean about there being so many threads with conflicting info that it makes it hard! It's why people try to tell others to keep it to one thread and not post new topics over and over. /rant

Anyway, this thread (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182050) seems to have helped most people. It's an automatic YSMenu creator with everything bundled that you need (from what I can tell anyway) with decent instructions for a couple of methods. If you need any help just drop a post in the thread and someone should be able to help you out.

4. smoothbwlr
    OP

Newcomer smoothbwlr Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply but I went to that link...when you say download it, which is it? The green button, the link in the red text, or the link that was posted by a2h about 5-7 posts down? Is the ysmenu file found there too? which is which...I downloaded all three of those things. Also, where is the infolib.dat found? I understand that the process may be idiot proof, but there are simply a lot of links in that post, which do I use? thanks in advance.

5. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
  6. PERCent

Newcomer PERCent Newbie

Philippines
    For KH, you need the hex edited rom and R4's firmware v1.18... I never did the actual hex editing myself coz I found the edited rom on a site (will not mention coz its against the rules, Google it)... Or just follow the guide here>>>http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=181734

For M&LBIS... Use YSMenu... I followed the guide here>>> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182050...
    When making YSMenu... Install it as a replacement for moonshell...

I got both games working on my R4 original... Hope this helps...

7. SenutiAi

Newcomer SenutiAi Advanced Member

United States
    I have a mac...and I haven't seen anything on any forum that can help me for both KH or M&L....also I have an R4i Ultra....just to let you know....please help me I really want to play these games...