Could the upcoming Netflix disc be made into a channel?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by FenrirWolf, Jan 13, 2010.

1. FenrirWolf
    OP

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The only other thread I saw about Netflix was closed by a mod who said that there was already a topic about it. But when I searched, there wasn't any discussion at all here. Whatever...

Anyway, the only reason they're making it disc-based is because the 360 has exclusive rights to a dashboard solution until later this year when that particular contract expires. This leads me to believe that the disc probably won't do much aside from load a dol into memory and execute it from there, since they could simply include that same dol in an official channel later on when the Microsoft contract is up.

So would it be terribly difficult to simply inject the main.dol from the disc into a channel wad and have it work that way? Or am I just talking uninformed nonsense over here?

2. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    This depends to the size of the channel, we could do as Waninkoko did with Hamster Heroes in his early USB loader video and embed the disk into the channel.

3. FenrirWolf
    OP

United States
    Or maybe it could work from a USB Loader? lol

4. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Yeah, that would be pretty easy, but would mean having your USB drive constantly plugged in if you want to use it.

5. jerrios

Newcomer jerrios Member

United States
    I imagine you'll be able to put it in your USB Loader of choice and just make a forwarder channel.

6. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    You mustn't have searched very well cause here it is http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=202988&hl=

7. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm planning on loading the disc onto my USB HDD then using Loadstructor to create a channel for it.

8. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    It's realy easy:

WAIT!

Seriously...wait until it's out, and see what happens and what you can do. Right now, I don't see any point in this Topic...why are people so impatient these days? Search about the possibilites, and read up. Talk about the Hackings when it's out, but not now, gosh...

9. FenrirWolf
    OP

United States
  10. lightyear

Member lightyear GBAtemp Regular

United States
    WAD channel is only half the game, everyone!! I have a feeling this will be a WBFS disk. That means rip it to your USB HDD and either have a USB forwarder channel to load it from the Wii menu or create a custom ISO file for the app to load directly from USB....I can't see nintendo jumping head-first into releasing a disk that could easily be a channel for the 6 months or so it will be live before MS's contract is up. It's just not worth it.

The good news here is this: netflix is coming to Wii and it will, eventually be hackable....I can guarantee that!!!

11. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I think the Netflix software will be really small in size an will easily feet on any decent sized SD card.
    I'll just use a channel forwarder and run it from the SD card so I won't have to leave my USB drive on while a watch a movie !

12. twig123

Member twig123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, this was my topic... pissed me off that they locked it. Like you said though... whatever.

13. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Explain how you can guarantee that ?

So how will we hack the site you need an account on ? Will we fake a unique ID number, or make changes to the sites DB ? How will we go about this ? Please explain how it can be done, and how you can guarantee this ?

I look forward to your answers with interest [​IMG]

14. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    We Trucha-bug the channel and get the quality in SVCD

15. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's a disc, not a channel. You might be able to hack the disc to a channel, but a nand emulator is more likely.
    The subscription data is more of a problem, unless you're saying they allow you to watch stuff for free.

Not that I care, I don't live in the US so it's unlikely it will work.

16. metroid4life14

Member metroid4life14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It doesn't even matter... the article said that subscription is monthly and they send you the disk for free.

17. FenrirWolf
    OP

United States
    And then you jam an HDMI cable into the A/V port with a hammer to get 1080p!!!!1!

18. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    FenrirWolf. We'll need to get the disc first and see what files are on it, what are required and the size of them.

In theory we can make it a channel with some hacking and the only tihng I can see as a limit will be the size of the files in total. The channel of course might need to be a forwarder, but I'd assume you'd be happy with that ?

I'm in the UK so even though I could proxy myself, I'd prefer to use Mplayer. However the challenge of making the channel will I'm sure entice some into try to get a working channel.

btw, nice idea [​IMG]

19. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    I already have a netflix account that I use quite frequently and I'd love to get it ported to the wii. I'd hope there is a wad installer available. Only time will tell.

20. lightyear

Member lightyear GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sorry, bud....I should have been more specific on that one....my reply had absolutely nothing to do with netflix's server, but rather everything to do with the netflix app on the user's end....ie, making the disk a forwarder channel, etc [​IMG] I'm sure a subscription will still be required in some way for the actual service itself.....hopefully it's discounted, though, since Wii can't display HD video.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo making a first party channel after MS's rights to the 'netflix app' will run up soon. For now they own exclusive rights to any launchable netflix app....like the one out for 360. That is due to expire later this year, and at that point, anyone can legally make netflix directly launchable without a disk.....I bet nintendo jumps all over that one like white on rice!!