Could TC update the current cyclo card for the dsi?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by JJBro1, Apr 5, 2009.

1. JJBro1
    OP

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times but i remember seeing TC getting what looks like a cyclo working on the dsi. Were they showing a dsi specific cart meaning one that only works on the dsi? Or was it a current cyclods working on the dsi? Is it possible to have a firmware update that works with the dsi?

2. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No, it's not possible for the CycloDS to have a firmware update to make it work on the DSi. From my understanding, the hardware has to be changed, so a new CycloDS would be required.

3. BigNastyCurve

Newcomer BigNastyCurve Advanced Member

United States
    I'm sure they could based on their youtube vidoes. Will they? Doubt it. They'll want to sell you a DSi version. I dunno, hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised with a firmware update that makes it compatible.

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    The simplest solution is to just keep your DSlite and forget about the DSi.

Keeping the DSlite will cost you nothing.

Buying a DSi will cost you the exorbitant price they are charging for it, plus the price of a new flashcart which could possibly be blocked in the future.

The choice seems obvious to me.

5. jchen

Member jchen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would do that, but i already owned a white and black dsl. both which i sold (crack hinge and broken power switch). If im going to buy another ds, might as well be the i. Any news on the cyclodsi?

6. Rayder

United States
    Unfortunately, the TC forums are still down. Funny, they can make a sweet flashcart, but they can't get their forums going. Doesn't seem logical does it?

Now that the DSi is out in America, they will probably get the CycloDSi out fairly soon. How soon is anybody's guess though.

7. TornZero

Member TornZero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They'll have to update it EVERY time there's a firmware update for the DSi, though, so it'll be quite a while longer before the CycloDSi is released unless they figure out how to near-constantly bypass the DSi's protection soon.

8. Rayder

United States
    That's another thing that's seems simple to me.....I mean if they can make carts that work on the DSi now, just make that part of the flashcart upgradeable just in case Ninty attempts to block whatever coding the DSi compatible flashcarts are using to bypass the DSi's security.

I have a very bad feeling about any flashcart for the DSi that just uses loaders for the firmware and don't actually update the hardware in any way. They'll be the first to be blocked and rendered useless.

9. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Maybe it's just me, but with the DSi coming a bit closer to a multimedia device (it even has an SD card slot!) I think we might just eventually have a CFW like the PSP. And then require no flash card. We'll have to see of course.

10. Zerotance

Newcomer Zerotance Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  11. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Ne mentioning of DSi trough the whole text!!

12. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Looks pretty shady to me. I wouldn't trust it. They also list things like M3 Real for the DSi and EDGE for the DSi, which don't exist as far as I'm concerned.

13. lonfar

Member lonfar GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I wouldn't order from their, there are alot ppl complain bout the service including rma though i was lucky enough to get mine back 2 week. Telephone has bad service as well considering you have to phone them 4-7 times

14. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Really? It looks like they could update firmwares for it:

But if they do come out with a CycloDSi, I hope it will come with new features, taking advantage of the system..

15. kantaris

Newcomer kantaris Newbie

United States

That video doesn't prove anything. They never actually show you what's in the DS slot, it could be an early build of a new cyclo card.

16. DEElekgolo

Newcomer DEElekgolo Advanced Member

United States
    From the looks of it your are trying to defend the idea that you need a new cycloDS for it to work. If you notice on the screen, the firmware is all that is updated. I dont see how something hardware-wise would make a difference if it works with the new DSi. The DSi works with older ds games which means that you can simply edit the firmware for it to work.

17. Chrono_Tata

Thailand
    If you can just update the firmware for a flashcart to work someone would have already done it don't you think? The updatable firmware only determines what the flashcart does after it has started; things that happen before that are all hardwired. TC said you can't even skin the loading screen because it's hardcoded in, so being able to change how the hardware initialise by updating the firmware is just highly unlikely.

Anyway, with that video TC said something about it only able to be done "in lab" or something. Leads most people to believe that it was done on a modded/hacked DSi.

18. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Except, how do you hack the DSi?
    It's the same exploit as all the other DSi-compatible flashcards out there.
    They're just waiting, I guess.

19. Chrono_Tata

Thailand
    Hacking the DSi to run custom codes was done ages ago. I wouldn't know the details though since I'm not exactly in the scene. Anyway, I was just saying that a lot of people thought it was done on a modded DSi and getting the Cyclo to run on the DSi by just updating the firmware is very unlikely.

Reason people thought it was done on a modded DSi was cause the video shows the DSi already on and running the Cyclo firmware. If it was done using the same exploit as current DSi-compatible carts you would think they would have shown the Cyclo being loaded from the DSi firmware.

20. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    ^True, but that was announced after Acekard had found an exploit to run a flashcard on a DSi.
    As in, it's a good chance they use the same exploit.
    They're probably looking for another right now.