Could someone help me turn my PC into a great emulation system?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Shinigami Kiba, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2007
    Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    Believe it or not I still use my original Xbox I got in 2003 as my main emulation console and my PSP as my main emulation handheld. I play them practically every day, but I'm worried that eventually my Xbox's 80GB HDD will give out and I don't have the original HDD anymore so if it dies it'll be a brick.

I have a nice set up going where I pulled a long 7m USB cable from my PC all the way to my living room TV so I figured it's time to turn my computer into my main emulation system, but PC Emulation just doesn't seem as good in terms of UI.
    I'm looking for a front end for all emulators or emulators that give me list of ROMs complete with screenshots and all that I can navigate with a controller, or at least the keyboard since I use my PS4 controller and have all sorts of cool mouse/keyboard profiles mapped to it.
    I also have no idea what the latest and best emulators for PC are, I want something that will run in 1080p fullscreen and use all sorts of fancy modern filters and shaders to make the games look better.

Googling around just leads to confusing results and I have no way of knowing that the things I'm going to download are indeed the best or latest.

2. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    High-end Intel CPUs are your best bet along with at least a mid-range GPU, but when I upgrade I'm planning on getting an i7 4790K+either a Radeon HD 7970 or a good Nvidia card. I'll likely get more/faster RAM as well and since I have a shitty AMD CPU I need a new MB as well as a better PSU. That's overkill, but I don't play many modern games and I want an emulation machine that'll last me at least 5-7 years. AMD CPUs, generally speaking, suck balls for emulation.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    There are a ton of different emulator front ends out there that have what you want, the biggest problem will be finding one you like. Most emulator front ends will require quite a bit of setup, so you'll also need to do a bit of work configuring all the different emulators and everything you want on them.

Here's a basic list of the ones I remember:
    Steam and ICE (ICE adds in emulator/ROM entries to Steam)
    Hyperspin
    Kodi and ROM Collection Browser
    Launchbox
    EmulationStation
    Game EX

IIRC, each one will require you to setup emulators for each system, so you'll need to download emus for each system you want to play and set them up in whatever frontend you pick. Some of the best emulators (IMO, I'm sure someone will come in here and say otherwise lol):
    NES: FCEUX or higan
    SNES: higan or SNES9x
    GB/GBC/GBA: higan or VirtualBoyAdvance
    N64: Mupen64plus/Project 64
    PS1: ePSXe
    PS2: PCSX2
    GC/Wii: Dolphin
    DS: desmume
    Gen/Sega CD/GameGear/: Kega Fusion
    DC: nullDC
    And for arcade systems, MAME of course.

You could also use Retroarch and the various cores for emulation as well, but IMO it's more of a pain to setup everything and get everything working compared to just simply using separate emulators when it comes to using graphical frontends like this.

ravihpa likes this.
  4. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    If you're looking for an emulator with a nice UI then RetroArch is a pretty good choice. I also suggest buying controller adapters and play using official controllers. Raphnet has some great quality adapters although they don't come cheap.

5. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Oct 28, 2007
    Thanks for the list of emulators
    I need emulators for everything up to the N64, I just don't enjoy playing N64 on an emulator since I always feel something is missing so I play it on the actual system. I have an extensive collection of retro games and systems, as well as modern systems of course.

My PC is good, got it in 2012 and it still runs games on highest or close to highest
    i7 3820
    GTX680 2GB
    16GB RAM

I want emulators for
    All Atari systems
    Fairchild Channel F - so i don't have to lug the thing to the TV every time i want to play, plus the antenna cord is so damn short
    Colecovision
    Intellivision
    C64
    Amiga - tried this once it was a pain to run games, never seen anything so complex and bad
    NES and SNES
    SMS and Genesis/Mega Drive
    All Arcade stuff, MAME/Neo Geo/CPS what have you
    Turbo Grafix 16
    Other obscure systems

I want to set up a frontend with screenshots and such, don't they have fontends that automatically download screenshots and everything for you?

I have ICE on Steam, but only use it for a few GCN/Wii games...tho why i dont know when the GCN, Wii and Wii U are hooked up lol but ICE would make browsing through entire rom sets very difficult and make a mess of my Steam library

I'll look into the other frontends y'all suggested, keep on posting suggestions and recommendations guys

6. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    RetroArch has all of the emus but its a pain in the ass to configure.
    Try that one if you want (and change to XMB layout)

7. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Oct 28, 2007
    RetroArch seems perfect for what I need
    now to see some youtube videos on how to get the latest version up and running, though I doubt it will be all that complicated, if it's just some moving around of files and editing some txt/ini/config files i should be fine

if it requires coding/recompiling it won't be for me

8. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec
    AMD is good for emulation as well, i have a Phenom 2 X6 and it works great for Dolphin so you know its powerful

9. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Oct 28, 2007
    RetroArch is AMAZING
    I didn't even need to look at tutorials to get it up and running, so good not even funny
    Tried a bunch of NES ROMs of games I own, Little Samson, Rodland, Over Horizon and they all work

and yes I do actually own Little Samson PAL and Rodland PAL (one of the rarest PAL games)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Oct 28, 2007
    EDIT: Well turns out the idea is not to use those stupid Good sets and use No Intro ones
    all is good one as the program detects the ROMs as it should and classifies them by systems automatically

I hope it stays problem free

Last edited by Shinigami Kiba, Aug 17, 2015
  11. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Oct 28, 2007
    Update for anyone who cares, might find this info useful.

I set up Retroarch as a backend now and Emulationstation as a frontend
    This seems to work like a charm, at least for my NES ROM set which has headers I'll try a No Intro headerless ROM Set later and see if Emulationstation can detect the ROMs and download appropriate boxarts and scrap ratings and info