Could someone help me recover my buddies psp from a semi-brick

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by mrwienerdog, Apr 23, 2010.

1. mrwienerdog
    OP

Member mrwienerdog GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Couple of months ago I asked this question, and someone was good enough to point me in the right direction, but it isn't until today that we are actually going to fix the psp. He tried upgrading from 3. something up to the latest m-33 firmware, and it didn't work. What can I do from this point?

Sorry, just had to check... It was 5.00 m33-6 that he tried to update to. Now it is fucked.

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    If he holds down the right shoulder when he powers up does he get to the Recovery Menu?

3. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Not sure, he's not going to be here for about another hour and a half. If so, what can be done? If not, are we screwed?

I seem to remember something about ChickHen. Is that right? I think it was actually you, xist, that was good enough to help me out when I first asked. It seemed at the time that he was one step away from it being a lost cause. Is there anyway you could tell me what to do in either case? I don't want to waste too much of your time, there is a bit of a time difference between us, and I wouldn't imagine you will be on here for a super long time (local time here is 2:50 pm).

Thanks.

4. xist

United Kingdom
    If he can access the Recovery Menu he can run Hellcats Recovery Flasher and fix it. Easy and quick

If he can't then he's going to need a Pandora battery. With a semi-bricked console he's not going to be able to do much, and ChickHEN is something that will only run from the XMB of a working console and it's not for fixing issues.

If he was indeed updating from 3.xx optimistically i'm thinking the Recovery menu and Recovery Flasher should be the easiest solution.

Edit - If he can acess the Recovery Menu then Recovery Flasher is available here. The readme is very comprehensive and easy to follow. All the necessary firmware eboots should be available on PSP-Hacks. Just make sure the battery is charged and he's plugged into the mains.

5. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Thanks alot for your help. Sorry to sound like a retard, but what do you mean 'plugged into the mains'. Is it just me being a dumb Canadian?

6. xist

United Kingdom
    AC Adapter plugged into a power socket and connected to the PSP.

7. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks.

8. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Okay, so I have it in my greasy little hands. It is on OFW 5.0. I cannot access the recovery console by pressing R shoulder at boot.

Am I fucked?

9. xist

United Kingdom
    Nope. What you need to do is update to 5.03 (NO FURTHER). Then using ChickHEN run PSPIdent to double check the motherboard. If it's hackable then you can use Recovery Flasher again to flash 5.00M33-6 as you originally planned. If it's not hackable then you're where you need to be.

I know you said it was previously hacked but i'm taking nothing for granted...

10. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Okay, so I want to update to 5.03. Are we talking OFW 5.03? Where should I look for that? Sorry to be a pain in the ass.....

11. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Just google up PSP OFW 5.03.

12. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Okay, so I did install OFW 5.03, but fucked if I can get that chickHen to work. All I can ever see is the TIFF image, no flashing colours, nothing. I figure it must be a workable MB though, it is a 1000 phat. I tried to run Recovery Flasher, but when I try to run it, it says that the file is corrupt, that it can't continue. What the fuck? I am getting so fucking annoyed.

13. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    1000? Try make a pandora out of the battery. Get another person's hacked psp and psp tool to make a pandora and mms

14. xist

United Kingdom
    I've never needed to rely on Chickhen, but when i tried it out for curiosity i gave up after around 30 tries of repeated locking up. It's infuriating but it does work in the end. Just make sure you're using the PSP 1000 specific files and once the homebrew environment is loaded you'll then be able to run recovery flasher. Just make sure when you are ready to run it you have all the firmware eboots required and in the right place(as detailed in the Recovery Flasher instructions)

I included a link to the PSP Hacks Firmware resource page a few posts back too...

15. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    USE LMAO. It works better than ChickHEN and MHUSPEED. Although, i'm not sure if it works on phats.

16. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Are you using the PSP1000 version? There should be 2 versions, 1 for PSP-1000 one for 2000/3000

17. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    I know this sounds stupid but keep the UMD Drive door open when you do it, it didn't work for me like 20 times then i opened the door in frustration and went into the image and it worked

PS: Make sure you don't actually click INTO the image but you should just be able to see a thumbnail
    PPS: It should lag when it transitions from the 'photos' folder to the thumbnails stored on the MS

18. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Okay, I'm far less tanked now compared to last night (far too much vino). I'm going to give this a go with the above feedback, and see what happens.....
    I thank everyone for their advice. Fingers crossed.

19. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Nice. Gentlemen, thanks as always for your help. Got him onto 5.00 m33-6. Worked great!!