Hacking Could someone give me a refresher about the Gateway and 3DS firmwares?

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

My PAL old 3DS has firmware 4.5.0-8E and I've got a Red and Blue Gateway 3DS card, red card with firmware Ultra 3.1.1. When I start in GW mode I can see that the firmware is GW3D 9.0.0-20E.

I have not been using my 3DS like in 4 years, so I read about the 3 Japanese versions of 'Sega 3D classic collection' (the Fukkoku archives 1, 2 and 3) and I was trying to make them work.

I tried launching the .3ds or .cia files but they don't work with my current setup. I get to the black screen with the Nintendo 3DS logo and the red waves on the top screen, black the bottom one.

I thought that it could be a problem with my emunand firmware so I tried to update it but then I kept on getting total black screens when launching the gateway itself. I've tried a lot of different combinations yesterday and today but I keep on getting either black screens when launching gateway or the black/red screens with the 3d logos when launching the games.

Things that I've tried so far:
* use GW 3.1.1, 3.4.1 or 3.7.2 beta
* updating the emunand firmware from 'settings-system update (resulting in black screens)', or via 3DNUS (I've tried different firmware versions and none of them worked for me)

Trying to read more about the subject, I am getting more and more lost as a lot of things have happened in the last few years, people talking about concepts like a9lh, luma, etc etc... but if one doesn't know what that means, it's difficult to know where to start.

I'd like to ask for help with 2 things if you know:
1. Do you know what I actually need to have those 3 Fukkoku archive Sega 3D games working, as far as GW version and firmware I need in a European old 3DS?

2. If I need to update the emunand firmware, do you know how I could do to avoid the black screen after the udpate?

Cheers!!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Update Gateway's CFW (launcher.dat) then update the emunand (I'm not sure if the last supported version is 11.2 or 11.3, if 11.2 you'll have to find update packs online as you can't download all the titles from nintendo anymore)

Also consider getting A9LH: while you'll still want an emunand to use Gateway, you will have automatic and faster booting!

@Hyoretsu A9LH is not a cfw and doesn't run any games by itself

Last edited by Ryccardo,

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What is A9lh? ie, or what is it purspose?

Do I still need the GW launcher.dat and the concept or emunand firmwares if I migrate to A9lh?
or do I need both A9lh + GW as well?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Gateway does not yet work on 11.3.

If you want, you can use Luma with the same exploit you are currently using: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade

To get your saves back, you will have to downgrade your emuNAND to 11.2 or less, and boot Gateway mode and have JKSM installed. Then you can follow https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743

Once you get all your saves back, I would recommend installing a9lh (http://3ds.guide). Then you can boot Luma on start up and not need to worry about the DS exploit, and you won't have to worry about updating sysNAND. If after this, you want to use Gateway, it is extremely important to use an emuNAND, do not boot Gateway sysNAND mode. Otherwise, you will lose your a9lh installation.

Reactions: Ryccardo

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
What is A9lh? ie, or what is it purspose?
One of the ways to launch gateway or CFW. Not really needed.
Do I still need the GW launcher.dat and the concept or emunand firmwares if I migrate to A9lh?
If you want to continue using gateway then yes.

2. If I need to update the emunand firmware, do you know how I could do to avoid the black screen after the udpate?
You can update emunand from rom:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-update-emunand-using-a-rom.372410/
Thats the easiest way atm as latest (11.3) emunand is not yet supported by gateway. Get one of the latest europe roms like Poochy_And_Yoshis_Woolly_World_EUR_MULTi6_3DS-PUSSYCAT and you'll update your emunand to 11.2 with it, after that your games should work.
http://www.3dsdb.com/ you can check what firmware version is included in roms here.

Also try to get good verified roms, for example Sega_3D_Fukkoku_Archives_JPN_3DS-HR should run fine on your current 9.0.0 emunand setup.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys, useful comments... it seems I'm making finally progress as I've been able to update emunand to 11.2.0-35E working with GW_ULTRA_3_7_2_BETA

I'll check the Sega 3D games, when I manage to find them again.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good, it seems it's working now. I still get occasional black screens when trying to launch GW, or the Sega 3D games freeze when trying to launch them and I have to retry from the beginning, but I've seen them loading at least.

Thank you guys!

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Good, it seems it's working now. I still get occasional black screens when trying to launch GW, or the Sega 3D games freeze when trying to launch them and I have to retry from the beginning, but I've seen them loading at least.

Thank you guys!

Just so you know if you had A9LH + Luma3DS instead and stopped using Brickway you would have 100% guaranteed boot rate, it'd be faster and it would have no issue with games. You could play games online without worrying about a ban or messing with headers like on Gateway. You can stay always on newest firmware, customize your console with various Homebrew apps and so much more. To use Brickway you must first go to Settings and then boot into it - And if unlucky you get a blackscreen. Extremely frustrating. If you had A9LH all you would need to do is to power on the console .. Yep, that's it.

You CAN keep using Brickway if you want, but you really should not. If you don't use Gateway to use cheats ingame then Gateway has literally zero usage for you over A9LH+Luma .. The only reason people still use GW with A9LH setups is for the cheating capabilities. If you're interested in A9LH then read what Quantumcat said about backing up your saves.

Last edited by Distrance,

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just so you know if you had A9LH + Luma3DS instead and stopped using Brickway you would have 100% guaranteed boot rate, it'd be faster and it would have no issue with games. You could play games online without worrying about a ban or messing with headers like on Gateway. You can stay always on newest firmware, customize your console with various Homebrew apps and so much more. To use Brickway you must first go to Settings and then boot into it - And if unlucky you get a blackscreen. Extremely frustrating. If you had A9LH all you would need to do is to power on the console .. Yep, that's it.

You CAN keep using Brickway if you want, but you really should not. If you don't use Gateway to use cheats ingame then Gateway has literally zero usage for you over A9LH+Luma .. The only reason people still use Gateway with A9LH setups is for the cheating capabilities. If you're interested in A9LH then read what Quantumcat said about backing up your saves.
.3DS files for easier drag-and-drop support and no install times are also quite useful, especially if you're the kind of person that likes to swap games all the time. Not worth buying a GW for it, but it's useful if you already have one. That said, the ideal setup for someone with a Gateway is a fully updated SysNAND with A9LH and Luma, with GW being loaded as a chainload, with an EmuNAND on whatever version is currently supported.

Reactions: nccom and Distrance

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
You could play games online without worrying about a ban or messing with headers like on Gateway.
Or you can just use .cia files on gateway
To use Brickway you must first go to Settings and then boot into it
Or you can install a9l and use it with gateway
You CAN keep using Brickway if you want, but you really should not.
And you really shouldn't listen to random ppl online who have no idea how gateway works.
That said, the ideal setup for someone with a Gateway is a fully updated SysNAND with A9LH and Luma, with GW being loaded as a chainload, with an EmuNAND on whatever version is currently supported.
Thats correct:)

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah it's not like I have a Gateway card or anything and it's not like I had to move from GW to A9LH or anything because GW wouldn't support some CIA's I tried to install.

Yep.

You're absolutely right. I know nothing about Gateway. I'm sorry I didn't realize you know everything about me.

Also are you fucking stupid? The part you quoted clearly states that to use GW you must boot into Settings and blahblahblah and the argument I was trying to make is that he should install A9LH. If he doesn't install A9LH then he's not going to be able to boot into the fucking GW with a chainloader.

Reactions: Quantumcat

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
move from GW to A9LH
Move from what to what? You do realise that GW is CFW and A9L is entrypoint and thats 2 completely different things?
GW wouldn't support some CIA's I tried to install
Like what?

The thing is - GW is the same as Luma, they're both CFWs and they allow exactly the same things like playing online from .cia, using any homebrew apps, customisations, etc.
And the best setup is Luma+GW so no, you don't need to stop using GW.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to follow the conversation and the instructions, but I don't really understand much of what you guys are explaining :(

I clicked on the links provided, but I don't know what I need to do if I want to change as you mentioned to Luma+A9LH.

For Luma I got:
* https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade, but I don't know in my case what I need to copy exactly?
And what is the difference between this CFW and GW CFW? ie, is there any benefit if I manage to do this but I don't know how to install A9LH after?

For A9LH:
* http://3ds.guide, I arrived to https://3ds.guide/decrypt9-(browser) , but then they start with more difficult explanations about 2.1.0-ctrtransfer , then arm9loaderhax . So I am pretty sure I'll get lost and I might brick my 3DS... it didn't seem an easy process.

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
And what is the difference between this CFW and GW CFW?
Its better than GW (more options, firm protection, some fixes, properly supports a9l, etc) but if GW is good enough for you then you can just continue to use it.
So I am pretty sure I'll get lost and I might brick my 3DS... it didn't seem an easy process.
You won't be bricked if you follow the guide.

What do you want to do anyway? Just run some games? Stay on Gateway with mset.
Upgrade to latest fw with 100% boot-rate and autoboot? Install a9l+luma.

Imo if you're just playing 1-2 times per year it's not worth bothering with a9l, your current setup will work just fine.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you want to do anyway? Just run some games? Stay on Gateway with mset.
Upgrade to latest fw with 100% boot-rate and autoboot? Install a9l+luma.

Thanks, now that I started I wanted to leave it set up in the best way... but, as you mentioned, I barely use it, I wanted to see those games as the way I tend to use it in the past was mainly to check a few japanese games that never get converted into EU versions, or checking out games which I have doubts. If I do like them, I just buy the game and play in the original cart instead, so that I don't have possible problems with save progress, etc.

Trying to do a9l+luma might be a little bit much for my knowledge....

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks, now that I started I wanted to leave it set up in the best way... but, as you mentioned, I barely use it, I wanted to see those games as the way I tend to use it in the past was mainly to check a few japanese games that never get converted into EU versions, or checking out games which I have doubts. If I do like them, I just buy the game and play in the original cart instead, so that I don't have possible problems with save progress, etc.

Trying to do a9l+luma might be a little bit much for my knowledge....

Look. It is literally impossible to brick if you follow 3ds.guide fully. It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing if you're doing everything the guide says and if you never stray from it. Everyone has to start from somewhere .. I was scared when I modded my first console too with A9LH+Luma. But I followed the damn guide, and it was easy as hell. Plus back then the method was more complicated than now as I needed to do a system transfer exploit with a DSiWare game and another console was needed for that etc.

Like what?

You're still missing the fucking point and you're getting stuck on semantics. You sure like to nit pick don't you? The whole fucking point I've been making is for him to install A9LH. Whether he uses GW afer that is entirely up to him, but staying on GW now is fucking stupid because it doesn't have good boot rate, among other things.

And FYI I tried several modified CIA's on my Gateway and none of them would install. No I don't remember the error code, but I do remember writing it about here, as well as on "that ISO site" in their respective threads and all I was told is to install A9LH+Luma because they do not work on GW setups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9YR4BXrzA