Gaming Could somebody with Mario Kart DS on VC verify this?

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is there any way at all to play multiplayer with the VC version of Mario Kart DS? Whether it be online multiplayer, or even Single/Multi-Card Download Play with actual DS consoles? Perhaps some form of local play with Pro Controllers?

For $13 I wouldn't expect much, especially since they didn't even bother to upscale the resolution.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knowing Nintendo, there will be no local multiplayer or any form of communication with an actual DS. It is possible that they will implement a way for you to play online with other Wii Us, though

Edit: checked online, as of right now there is absolutely no multiplayer avaliable

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Dammit big N! Stop being lazy!!! No upscaled textures on ds vc?!?! What a ripoff!

You completely missed the purpose of the thread, but whatever.

That's not what I'm saying at all. Back in the Wii days, Nintendo upscaled all their N64 games from the average 240p to standard definition 480p when porting them to the Virtual Console, and that was in 2006. DS games runs at a pixel resolution of 256x192. The Wii U could display that image over 40 times at its native resolution.

It's understandable that 2D games like the NES and SNES didn't get upscaled in Virtual Console ports, because doing so would require Nintendo to remake every single texture in the game, which is a ridiculous demand. Not to mention it would kill the nostalgic graphics. But when it comes to 3D games there's really no reason why they couldn't alter the resolution. It would require very little work and be nothing but beneficial.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
imagine a system with all 8 MK games, the future is real...

That's almost reality. On the Wii U, we've got Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64 (via vWii mode), Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii (via backwards compatibility), and Mario Kart 8.

The Wii U's just missing Double Dash (which the Wii U can play if you use Nintendon't), and Mario Kart 7. We're almost there!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
hey Snes kart is the greatest, hands down
Again, subjective. My favourite Mario Kart is Double Dash!! while others can prefer Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario Kart.

Stop trying to shove your opinion as a fact, Stone.

That's almost reality. On the Wii U, we've got Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64 (via vWii mode), Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii (via backwards compatibility), and Mario Kart 8.

The Wii U's just missing Double Dash (which the Wii U can play if you use Nintendon't), and Mario Kart 7. We're almost there!

This. The only one's not playable on the Wii U is Mario Kart 7 but since Mario Kart 8 is more or less an HD upgrade of it the only thing missing from that experience is the 3D effect that Mario Kart 7 has.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question for any lucky European who has this on Virtual Console: What happens if you try to connect to online via Wiimmfi's servers (since you can configure IP settings in-game)?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forget it, you can't even find an AP on the MKDS VC.

I assume by "AP" you mean "access point"?

That's stupid... The first ever online racing game made by Nintendo is forever fated to be a single player game with sh*tty resolution :( Just this once, Nintendo, I expected better...

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I assume by "AP" you mean "access point"?

That's stupid... The first ever online racing game made by Nintendo is forever fated to be a single player game with sh*tty resolution :( Just this once, Nintendo, I expected better...

Yes. BTW, the DS emulator can't even save the Wi-Fi connection data. A player has found that no matter what he sets the Wi-Fi connection settings as, all those data were lost when quitted the game.

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
BTW I really dislike Nintendo's marketing on giving a proper price to their DS VCs. All games, regardless of the functions removed, playability, etc, are at the same price.
You know what this reminds me of? The days before running Wii games of hard disks ,pirated Wii disks were available at almost every game store in China. A pirated copy of Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Play is sold at the same price. This price setting showed that they didn't pay enough attention to their classics.
I like the pricing of Kirby:Nightmare in Dreamland and Kirby Amazing Mirror. The latter is slightly cheaper since a highlight of Amazing Mirror is its multiplayer, which is removed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.