Could Linux/Android be booted from a USB 3.0 Thumb Drive, and would it be faster than a Micro SD?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by gbazone, Aug 1, 2019.

1. gbazone
    OP

gbazone GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    I was thinking if USB 3 was faster it would solve the bottleneck problem of running Android/Linux off of the same card you're also reading/writing media to. I guess you could go in reverse and use the USB 3 thumb drive for storage but does anyone know how fast the Switch can utilize USB 3?

NoNAND likes this.
  2. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Switch can't use usb 3.0

3. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Faster than a microsd yes. Needing work to also happen. Also yes. Usb 3.0. No. I mean unless you count for the dock but I mean... that's not a really good idea for now. Since hekate can't even display through the dock. (and I'm not even sure if the usb 3.0 port on the dock even works right.)

And that would also require hekate to have drivers for usb support.

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Aug 1, 2019
  4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    We really need to install these OS to emmc, but I have a feeling those that know how to won't want to release it and deal with people complaining about bricking their system/ losing their backups.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Aug 2, 2019
  5. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    Wouldn't it be dangerous as well unless you have some flush usb. I would be worried of breaking port.

6. monkeyman4412

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Well it's not just that. Another key issue is we don't have a non tethered cold boot exploit. Which really then there isn't much point in flashing the emmc. And then of course switch unique data is also a concern. Then you also have the fact there is Ipatched units. So now you have to make sure that if it was seperate program it wouldn't run on ipatched units so it wouldn't perma brick.

7. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    and the potential for ban.

8. monkeyman4412

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    If it's under the assumption it's strictly like the entire emmc has became android, and doesn't run horizon OS or switch os at all anymore at all. then No not really.

9. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    So switch os would only run from emunand? No more online at all? I guess that would be good but sound dangerous.

10. monkeyman4412

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Dangerous because people don't backup their prodinfo... or a clean nand for that matter. So even if it was restored from a game cart firmware and then updated or sheingas like that, pretty sure Nintendo would still ban.

11. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    Ya that is pretty much it.

12. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    The point here is to speed up the slow access of an SD card for main OS functions, and free up the SD card to be used as external storage, even as Fat32 so the space can be shared with Horizon storage and homebrew/cfw. Putting the OS on emmc achieves that even if you have to rely on jig or auto-RCM.

With "stock" emummc coming soonish you should be able to go online safely. Hell people are doing it now on Atmosphere. And Horizon is a far smaller OS and runs quite well in emummc.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Aug 2, 2019