Could it be possible to repack .nds as .cia?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Blueie, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    Now that it's possible to run DSiware installed from .cia, I was wondering if it should in theory be possible to repack .nds ROMs as .cia and install and run them the same way? We can do this for .3ds, would .nds -> .cia be any less feasible? Granted, using a DS flashcart to run DS games is more convenient. But I was thinking that maybe this method would make it possible for DSi-enhanced games to access the DSi features (which they can't do when run via flashcart)?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    Is it possible to run dsiware as via? ( if yes, I missed something). But to answer your question. Yes it is possible, but I don't know exactly how it is done. But I remember a picture from somebody who installed advance wars on their home menu( it was somebody with his own cfw I thought)

3. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    But this would run in DS mode of course?

4. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    Yes, you install it to sysNAND with GW or PBT-CFW and then run it with the latter.
    Thanks for that info. Do you recall if this pic was posted in GBAtemp?
    I believe so.

5. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    yeah it would have to run under TWL_FIRM
    wha happened to GWw secret new feature? i am guessing they postponed it for now till they get the bugs worked ou with all their betas maybe when we get a final public release they will revel the new feature and it will be TWL_FIRM and ABG_FIRM working from emunand GW mode

6. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    Bump

7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Anything is possible if you believe in yourself.

MrJason005, cearp and Margen67 like this.
  8. DoJo_Master

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    Ive been believing that someone will reply to my old thread for awhile but wishing aint maken it a reality for me :(

9. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    I thought the immediate answer is "no" ?

But the more technical answer is "yes, if you inject a different ROM into a Virtual Console game. Has lots of limitations"

10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    That someone could be you!

11. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

Normally I'd agree with you since they usually strip the emulators down functionality wise, however if this ever became a thing, I'd imagine it would just use the existing Ds hardware directly, and compatibility would be close to, if not 100% from what the system can run in Ds mode

12. NetBoy
    This message by NetBoy has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 4, 2016, Reason: You just replied to a thread from 2015 -rp.
    Sep 3, 2016
  13. Roomsaver
    This message by Roomsaver has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 4, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    Sep 4, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.