Not open for further replies.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know this is a total noob question that has already been answered : No, you can't downgrade the switch because of efuses
Well I just need to know, will it be possible somewhen to hack the switch deep enough to be able to skip the verification of efuses when booting up the console?
please dont call me noob, i know i am

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a total noob question that has already been answered : No, you can't downgrade the switch because of efuses
Well I just need to know, will it be possible somewhen to hack the switch deep enough to be able to skip the verification of efuses when booting up the console?
please dont call me noob, i know i am
not for a long while

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This talk about efuses, pardon my noob terminology understanding but this isn't a real bomb related situation right? I already don't like my battery exploding on me. :blink:

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, but what if you made earlier (or modded the current) NAND backup to have less fuses? A NAND backup would have eFuse data, so if you restored on one an old FW, you can reset the fuses and the FW, right?

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once efuses are "blown" they can't be repaired by any means. It's not a physical fuse, but an electrical one (hence the "e"). The switch will check them upon boot. With each new update something is done with the efuses to make sure you're on the firmware you should be on. I don't know all the technical details, but this is the main idea of it and why the switch cant be downgraded.

Reactions: McWhiters9511

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once efuses are "blown" they can't be repaired by any means. It's not a physical fuse, but an electrical one (hence the "e"). The switch will check them upon boot. With each new update something is done with the efuses to make sure you're on the firmware you should be on. I don't know all the technical details, but this is the main idea of it and why the switch cant be downgraded.
you... havent read the OP, obviously

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have read it, obviously, why would I post here if I didn't? I said this to explain the purpose of efuses to the people who replied and didn't know what they did.
oh i see, i though you were talking to me
next time, quote the one you are talking to avoid that please ;)

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When and if we are able to hack the switch to bypass efuse verification, it would probably be unnecessary to downgrade since it will very likely require a kernel exploit to do so.
well... taking it that way... sure maybe...

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh i see, i though you were talking to me
next time, quote the one you are talking to avoid that please ;)
Ok

I can't really answer your question because I'm not a software or electrical engineer. All I know (may not be right, but i think it is) is that the number of efuses blown has to be softcoded into each update so it knows how many are supposed to be blown. If we were to be able to restore our old NAND or downgrade in any way, we might be able to edit the value inside of the dump that represents the number that are supposed to be blown in that dump and then restore it.

For example, if on update 3.0.0, 5 efuses are blown, and our console is on on update 4.0.0, which may check if 7 efuses are blown, we could modify our 3.0.0 nand dump to check for 7 blown fuses instead of 5.

This is just my theory, it may be correct and it may not be.

Last edited by DarkFlare69,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok

I can't really answer your question because I'm not a software or electrical engineer. All I know (may not be right, but i think it is) is that the number of efuses blown has to be softcoded into each update so it knows how many are supposed to be blown. If we were to be able to restore our old NAND or downgrade in any way, we might be able to edit the value inside of the dump that represents the number that are supposed to be blown in that dump and then restore it.

For example, if on update 3.0.0, 5 efuses are blown, and our console is on on update 4.0.0, which may check if 7 efuses are blown, we could modify our 3.0.0 nand dump to check for 7 blown fuses instead of 5.

This is just my theory, it may be correct and it may not be.
I bet the eFuse = version encoding is in Bootrom. Nintendo would be smarter than to make the encoding writable.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's true. So we'd need access to the bootrom to be able to trick it
That'd be useless. The name says it all–bootrom–it's READ-ONLY. So, we couldn't change it. Also, I could only think the eFuses are physical, since the only way would be to make them Read-Only, but then the console couldn't set them...

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That'd be useless. The name says it all–bootrom–it's READ-ONLY. So, we couldn't change it. Also, I could only think the eFuses are physical, since the only way would be to make them Read-Only, but then the console couldn't set them...
Sighax for the 3ds is a bootrom exploit.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sighax for the 3ds is a bootrom exploit.
SIGH...
YOU CAN'T EDIT BOOTROM. PERIOD.
In fact, after Bootrom Lockout, you can't even Read Bootrom.
Sighax takes advantage of problems in the Bootrom code, specifically in the Signature parser, hence the name Sighax.
Read this for information about how Sighax works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night