Could I switch my 3ds xl new for one at GS without extra money?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by masksacrafice, Mar 27, 2014.

1. masksacrafice
    OP

masksacrafice Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2013
    United States
    Place of Birth
    I have a brand new 3ds XL from a thrift store and wanna see if I could exchange it for a lower firmware one at Gamestop without paying extra. Has anyone tried this? and I remember there being a thread with the serial numbers of 4.5 3ds/xl's if someone could link that while I am posting, would be kind. Thanks in advance.

2. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    masksacrafice likes this.
  3. dobosininja

dobosininja Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2007
    United States
    It would probably depend on the condition of your 3ds. If it is in really good condition you might be able to if you find a willing clerk at GS.

Wanting to swap it for a lower firmware one will be a red flag to them if they know anything about the exploit. I also heard that most of the resell shops update the 3ds's before they sell them.

4. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Do you mean buying one at the store, swapping the two 3dss, and then returning it? You probably can, but that's fraud.

5. nicklesminer

nicklesminer Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2007
    United States
    Plus they will typically check the serial number on the box and the serial number on the 3ds to make sure they match.

6. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Well you can probably just switch boxes too while you're at it, lol

7. lambstone

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah... OP, i'm pretty sure gbatemp is not the place to discuss fraudulent practices.

8. masksacrafice
    OP

masksacrafice Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2013
    United States
    Place of Birth
    I meant since, mine was brand new, could I trade it for one with a lower serial number. Nothing illegal. I already got the problem solved and answered. Thanks though. :D