Homebrew Could homebrew set the DS clock with NTP?

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it kind of annoying that the DS and DSLite are not capable of setting the system time via NTP. I was wondering if it might be possible to write a homebrew tool that could do this.

I've done some searching on the forums and Google and came up with nothing. I'm sort of surprised no one has even mentioned this before. I guess I'm just lazy about setting the clock.
rolleyes.gif

Thoughts?

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps I asked the wrong question... forget about NTP.

What I mean to ask is, "Can a homebrew program to set the time of the DS hardware clock?"

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the hardware clock is a fixed oscillator that oscillates at a certain freuquency. There is no simple way of replacing / changing this. Furthermore, changing of the hardware clock will break your DS big time.

You you are talking about the Date and Time settings on the other hand... i know that homebrew can read things like username, time an date, fav. color etc. from the system settings. I am not sure if it can modify it on the other hand, seeing how it's not on the flashcard, but on the DS'es internal memory.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Watch the local weather station.
2. Set the clock as the seconds pass "59" for accuracy.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Xastabus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rave420 said:
the hardware clock is a fixed oscillator that oscillates at a certain freuquency. There is no simple way of replacing / changing this. Furthermore, changing of the hardware clock will break your DS big time.

You you are talking about the Date and Time settings on the other hand... i know that homebrew can read things like username, time an date, fav. color etc. from the system settings. I am not sure if it can modify it on the other hand, seeing how it's not on the flashcard, but on the DS'es internal memory.

Darn those symantics... I do not want to change the hardware clock speed. I want to change the Date and Time. My objective is to write a program that will update the Date and Time on the DS using a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server. I might do a clock with alarms and stuff too.
Yes, I know about MorningTimer, it's actually installed by default as part of M3 Sakura. I just want to do this as a learning experience to get a handle on homebrew programming.

I am inclined to think it isn't possible because time sensitive games like Animal Crossing:WW ask you to confirm the date and time but don't actually change the DS system date and time. Instead they record a time offset (DS Date&Time + offset = GameDate&Time). However, that could just be so players can choose to play at an in-game time they normally wouldn't be able to (like midnight for kids who aren't allowed to stay up late) without actually changing the system time.

So... yeah... help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉