Could Gamecube's GBA Transfer be used on alternative ROMs for a Softmodded Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Blundermann, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Blundermann
    OP

Blundermann GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Hello. Pardon me if this is in the wrong section on the forums. Still new here, so I apologize ahead of time.

So I have been thinking about this for a while, and I looked all over Google, so I was wondering.
    I have a GBA-Gamecube link cable and it can transfer stuff to it live with no cartridge. For example Sonic Adventure 2: Battle transfers Tiny Chao Garden, and Crash Bandicoot transfers Crash Blast.

I've seen ROM rips of these live copies of games, so what if there was a way to make any GBA ROM copiable to the GBA using the Gamecube link cable, and a hacked Wii/GCN? Using NeoGamma, I have a lot of Gamecube games playable by burning MultiISOs, and the Game Boy copying works fine.

Is there some sort of homebrew that can transfer GBA roms to a hardware GBA? Is there a way to replace what a game transfers to the GBA so you could get Pokemon or Advance Wars (for example) and run them without a cartridge? However, I'm sure there would be size limitations, or else it would take a VERY long time to copy.

Thanks a lot.
    ~The Blunder Dude

2. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    It's unlikely someone would write homebrew for that. The game must fit into RAM on the GBA, a dire limitation.

3. Blundermann
    OP

Blundermann GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Just a theory, so I would assume that would be the glaring issue with that sort of thing.

4. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Well, I think there's no homebrew that does ANYTHING with the GBA link cable, unfortunately, so not even sure if anyone's ever tried to see how it works.

I'm sure it would be SOMEWHAT possible. You'd have to do some serious patching of the ROM so it would request more info over the link cable instead of from the ROM cartridge and then not crash when it didn't get the response back NEARLY as fast as it was expecting.

One thing that I think WOULD be interesting and probably a lot more possible is to be able to connect the GBA to a GBA emulator on the Wii/GC and play as if you were playing connected to another GBA. There still might be some lag issues, though, since the emulation might not be quite as fast as real hardware.

5. JohnSmith41

JohnSmith41 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2013
    United States
    Is there even a Gamecube homebrew for this? I guess we could try some NO$GBA code to send games to the GBA, even if it's a small game (Phantasy Star online tails chao is good enough for me).