Hacking Could anyone review my preparation for downgrading MSET to version 4.5 on a New Nintendo 3DS XL?

mk.2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm really nervous trying to setup this DS Profile Exploit, even though I've read Gateway user manual many times.
So, I'd like to have someone to look at what I've prepared, the downgrading process I think I should do, and correct me if I misunderstand anything or there are other things I should do.

- My N3DS XL is USA region. OFW is 9.0.0-20U.

- I already made a sysNAND backup.

- I already set up an emuNAND on My N3DS.

- sysNAND and emuNAND are unlinked (emuNAND was formatted).

So, according to user manual, first, I'd need to boot into Gateway Menu and select "NVRAM INSTALL".

Then, boot into sysNAND by holding 'B', then press 'A', the press 'X'.

Then, in sysNAND, I'd need to select DevMenu ROM and boot it up.
I found 2 DevMenu.3ds files:
1) DevMenu.3ds (CRC32: e4af558f) (MD5: e65629fbe2ae8a419cf8624df78e78b2)
2) DevMenu.3ds (CRC32: 62927c39) (MD5: b064d2cd8026825fe8324581552dd369)
Which one should I use? I have read that I'd need the specific version or I'll get black screens.

Then, with correct DevMenu, I'll need to install 'mset_usa.cia' into sysNAND.
Do I need to install 'bluecardfix.cia' on sysNAND as well? There is no mention of this in the manual, but it's in the MSET 4.5 Installer folder.

After finished installing 'mset_usa.cia' and shut the system down, according to manual, the exploit should be successfully installed.

Are those all steps I'd need to take?
After installing mset_usa.cia, I can access Gateway Menu simply by choosing 'Nintendo DS Profile' in System Settings?

Anyway, in a thread discussing DS Exploit, it was mentioned that in order to make the exploit stick, I'd need 'N3DS_ROPInstaller.nds' which I do not have. The file is not included in MSET 4.5 Installer folder. And I couldn't find out where I can get it. As I understand, N3DS_ROPInstaller.nds is only need if I want to play NDS games?

alantgw

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
bluecardfix.cia is to enable your 3DS to play DSgames, as bluecard is blocked in later FW. If you don't play DS games, you may ignore it.
Just try which Devmenu can let you install the mset. It won't do any harm to your sysnand if it fails to install.

Reactions: mk.2

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
DevMenu.3ds with CRC E4AF558F is the one I use, it installs mset fine.

bluecardfix.cia is only needed if you want to be able to use the blue card. I personally haven't installed it, because I have a DSTWO that I use instead. But if the blue card is your only DS flashcart it's probably a good idea to install it.

Yes and yes.

N3DS_ROPInstaller.nds was in the Gateway update thread somewhere. I'll attach it here. I believe GW also updated their own ROP installer to support the N3DS in the latest update, but I personally like this installer.
There's a specific process you can do that supposedly glitches the system into not wiping the exploit whenever you play a DS game, I haven't tried it myself though. I don't play DS games all that often so it's no problem for me running the ROP installer after I'm done. I added it as a plugin on my DSTWO so it's just a couple of button presses away.

Attachments

• ROPInstaller_N3DS.zip
    811.7 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: mk.2

mk.2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys :lol: Exploit was successfully installed.
Though, my system froze at black screens for the first 2 times I tried launching into emuNAND. Now, everything works perfectly.

Anyway, in case anyone is searching for which DevMenu.3ds to use, it is same one that The Real Jdbye mentioned → (CRC32: e4af558f, MD5: e65629fbe2ae8a419cf8624df78e78b2).

And thank you for ROPInstaller, The Real Jdbye.

Reactions: kactusss

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question regarding installing mset. After installing it do i need still need CN to access GW menu because DS profile directly boots into emunand.

mk.2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question regarding installing mset. After installing it do i need still need CN to access GW menu because DS profile directly boots into emunand.
You won't need Cubic Ninja anymore. You can boot into Gateway Menu by holding 'L' right after you clicked 'Nintendo DS Profile'.

Reactions: kheldar

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to install 'bluecardfix.cia' on sysNAND as well? There is no mention of this in the manual, but it's in the MSET 4.5 Installer folder.
I think this has already been answered, but bluecardfix unblocks flash cards such as the blue card. It is to be installed into sysNAND. Without it, if something happens to your NVRAM Profile, you will have to use Cubic Ninja to reach the Gateway Launcher menu in order to reinstall it. With it installed, you can use the blue card to run GW_INSTALLER or N3DS_ROPInstaller to reinstall the NVRAM Profile.

N3DS_ROPInstaller.nds was in the Gateway update thread somewhere. I'll attach it here. I believe GW also updated their own ROP installer to support the N3DS in the latest update, but I personally like this installer.
There's a specific process you can do that supposedly glitches the system into not wiping the exploit whenever you play a DS game, I haven't tried it myself though. I don't play DS games all that often so it's no problem for me running the ROP installer after I'm done. I added it as a plugin on my DSTWO so it's just a couple of button presses away.
What is the difference between N3DS_ROPInstaller (or other ROP installers) and the GW_INSTALLER included in the download? I've seen them mentioned a few times, but I don't know much about them.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think this has already been answered, but bluecardfix unblocks flash cards such as the blue card. It is to be installed into sysNAND. Without it, if something happens to your NVRAM Profile, you will have to use Cubic Ninja to reach the Gateway Launcher menu in order to reinstall it. With it installed, you can use the blue card to run GW_INSTALLER or N3DS_ROPInstaller to reinstall the NVRAM Profile.

What is the difference between N3DS_ROPInstaller (or other ROP installers) and the GW_INSTALLER included in the download? I've seen them mentioned a few times, but I don't know much about them.

Not a big difference, N3DS_ROPInstaller gives options for installing some other payloads as well besides just the GW one. And it came out before GW added n3DS support to theirs :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte